Author Topic: Headlight Conversion  (Read 4100 times)

Fasttimez

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Headlight Conversion
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2021, 12:38:36 pm »
Funny thing, on Adjure's website they have a pic of Brian Veney's bike with one of their lights on it.  Upon closer inspection of the pic, he wired his exactly as I just did mine.  Got rid of all the crap he didn't need or use and rerouted the ignition and just ran the wire for the headlight only.  Appears he also thought Yamaha did a crappy wiring job  ;D Here's a pic of his.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:51:45 pm »
    That headlight looks very similar to the one I put on my Virago. I'm sure yours is far superior over mine though. I got it cheap.

I got it for about $100 directly from Adjure, so not that expensive. It has that "PHAST" locking system that holds the entire light together.  I was a little skeptical about it at first, but once I tried it, I really liked it. Waiting on a chrome bolt and nut never seemed so long  ;D

It's been a lot of years since I bought mine, but it was only about $50 - $60 and like I said, I'm sure yours is far superior to mine. I was just looking for something that would look good and was cheap.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    « Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2021, 04:20:45 pm »
    Well here's the finished product (minus the chrome bolt, washers and nut).  Cleans up the front of the bike A LOT, especially if you relocate and rewire stuff. 

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2021, 05:50:36 pm »
      Nicely done!!!

How about I email you my address and you can swing by here and do my Raider and Stryker?

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2021, 05:57:25 pm »
      Nicely done!!!

How about I email you my address and you can swing by here and do my Raider and Stryker?
      If I were independently wealthy without bills to pay, I'd take you up on that free of charge.....LoL.  I actually need to get out to Phoenix sometime, a really good friend of mine lives there.  She always comes back to VA to visit, I've yet to go visit her though.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2021, 06:22:41 pm »
      What I like most about doing this conversion, is with now having the pinch bolt style mount, the choices of headlight are almost unlimited.

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2021, 01:23:33 am »
      Looks clean and nice.
      Where did you mount the turn signals ? Cannot see them in the pics.
      My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2021, 05:15:40 am »
      Looks clean and nice.
      I took them off, don't run them at all.

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2021, 07:13:03 am »
      Looks clean and nice.

Agreed, better looking w/o them. How about the rear ones ? How is the law in US, is it legal ?
      I cannot remove them, I will get fined.
      My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2021, 09:33:05 am »
      Looks clean and nice.

Agreed, better looking w/o them. How about the rear ones ? How is the law in US, is it legal ?
      I took the rear off as well because I have the Blaster X taillight, it has integrated turn signals into the taillight. You do not have to have turn signals on your motorcycle in the USA, only headlight and taillight. 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2021, 09:37:45 am »
      Looks clean and nice.

I took the rear off as well because I have the Blaster X taillight, it has integrated turn signals into the taillight. You do not have to have turn signals on your motorcycle in the USA, only headlight and taillight.

Actually I believe this varies per state and I also think the age of the bike may come into play.

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2021, 09:57:10 am »
      Dat's a clean looking mod!!      :thumbs:

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2021, 11:09:24 am »
      Massachusetts has some strict laws regarding motorcycle inspections, but enforcement of them is very laid back both by the inspection facilities and the officers out and about. Anyways, here are the laws regarding turn signals:

Turn Signals. Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps. Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and head lamp shall be four inches. Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches. All turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height from the road surface of not less than 15 inches nor more than 83 inches. Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute. The turn signal lamp activating control shall be positioned so as to be operated without removing the hand from the handlebar and shall properly indicate right and left when so switched. Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of 200 feet under normal daylight conditions. Every motorcycle shall be equipped with a device to permit the front and rear directional signals to flash simultaneously if originally equipped by the manufacturer.

For any MA riders, this is the best summary:
      http://www.berkshirecycle.com/inspections.html

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2021, 12:53:35 pm »
      Massachusetts has some strict laws regarding motorcycle inspections, but enforcement of them is very laid back both by the inspection facilities and the officers out and about. Anyways, here are the laws regarding turn signals:

Turn Signals. Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps. Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and head lamp shall be four inches. Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches. All turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height from the road surface of not less than 15 inches nor more than 83 inches. Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute. The turn signal lamp activating control shall be positioned so as to be operated without removing the hand from the handlebar and shall properly indicate right and left when so switched. Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of 200 feet under normal daylight conditions. Every motorcycle shall be equipped with a device to permit the front and rear directional signals to flash simultaneously if originally equipped by the manufacturer.

Holy crap.....all we have to have in VA is a headlight, taillight, 1 mirror and a functioning horn to pass inspection.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2021, 02:10:11 pm »

This sounds very similar to AZ.