Author Topic: Headlight Conversion  (Read 1307 times)

Preacher

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Headlight Conversion
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2021, 02:18:47 pm »
There is no vehicle inspection in South Carolina, Im sure there are laws that LE will enforce concerning turn signals and other things though. I know quite a few people that remove the catalytic converters from their vehicles when upgrading the exhaust...

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #31 on: Mar 31, 2021, 06:52:59 am »
    Massachusetts has some strict laws regarding motorcycle inspections, but enforcement of them is very laid back both by the inspection facilities and the officers out and about. Anyways, here are the laws regarding turn signals:

Turn Signals. Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps. Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and head lamp shall be four inches. Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches. All turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height from the road surface of not less than 15 inches nor more than 83 inches. Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute. The turn signal lamp activating control shall be positioned so as to be operated without removing the hand from the handlebar and shall properly indicate right and left when so switched. Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of 200 feet under normal daylight conditions. Every motorcycle shall be equipped with a device to permit the front and rear directional signals to flash simultaneously if originally equipped by the manufacturer.

For any MA riders, this is the best summary:
    http://www.berkshirecycle.com/inspections.html

Holy crap.....all we have to have in VA is a headlight, taillight, 1 mirror and a functioning horn to pass inspection.

Inspection?  What is this "inspection" you speak of? 

Florida's approach is simple:  It's Your Ass! 

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
    « Reply #32 on: Apr 01, 2021, 10:58:20 am »
    MA motorcycle inspections were implemented because they didn't feel they should be exempt when car inspections became mandatory.
    Car inspections are just money makers for the inspection location... i.e. garages. Got a ball joint that looks a tad loose? You fail. "But I can fix that for you!"
    My wife just failed because of tires. Funny, her tires were low on tread, but there's no way they would contribute to an accident. I've seen MUCH lower tread on tires. No bald spots, certain no threads showing through or anything. But, "Sorry, you fail. Shall I write up an estimate for new tires for 'ya?"
    Crazy.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #33 on: Apr 01, 2021, 12:43:15 pm »
      MA motorcycle inspections were implemented because they didn't feel they should be exempt when car inspections became mandatory.
      Car inspections are just money makers for the inspection location... i.e. garages. Got a ball joint that looks a tad loose? You fail. "But I can fix that for you!"
      My wife just failed because of tires. Funny, her tires were low on tread, but there's no way they would contribute to an accident. I've seen MUCH lower tread on tires. No bald spots, certain no threads showing through or anything. But, "Sorry, you fail. Shall I write up an estimate for new tires for 'ya?"
      Crazy.

That's insane!

AZ just got rid of emission testing on bikes a few years ago. I was thrilled. All we do is pay for the registration every year.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #34 on: Apr 02, 2021, 05:59:34 am »
      Crazy.

That's insane!

AZ just got rid of emission testing on bikes a few years ago. I was thrilled. All we do is pay for the registration every year.
      VA is trying to eliminate inspections, but it's such a cash cow for the state it'll never go away.  We have emissions testing, but only up north near Washington DC (because politicians need clean air to breathe to make those hard decisions)..LoL 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #35 on: Apr 02, 2021, 10:18:34 am »
      Crazy.

That's insane!

VA is trying to eliminate inspections, but it's such a cash cow for the state it'll never go away.  We have emissions testing, but only up north near Washington DC (because politicians need clean air to breathe to make those hard decisions)..LoL

We still have it for cars. They just did away with motorcycles.  Do you have that many motorcycles that it would make that much of a difference?

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #36 on: Apr 02, 2021, 06:10:16 pm »
      Crazy.

That's insane!

We still have it for cars. They just did away with motorcycles.  Do you have that many motorcycles that it would make that much of a difference?
      Oh yeah, they're everywhere here.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #37 on: Apr 08, 2021, 07:47:24 pm »
      Just installed this headlight into my new headlight bucket.  A lot of HD guys I ride with have them.  I've seen a side by side comparison of this light vs a HD Daymaker and you can't tell the difference.  The price is the difference though.....LoL. I'm absolutely loving it so far.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #38 on: Apr 08, 2021, 08:04:45 pm »
      other LED headlight options made to fit our stock headlight bucket with load resistors and mounting brackets. I am getting the "Kit D" option with the changeable LED halo around the outside for $195. They even have the new "adaptive" lean turn signal style LED headlight that as you lean your bike the side of the headlight shines more to "throw" light into the curve so you are shining where you are turning toward.

https://www.vtxdaymaker.com/online-store/Daymaker-Kits-c30677074

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2021, 08:07:07 pm by FireNative »

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #39 on: Apr 08, 2021, 09:35:58 pm »
      other LED headlight options made to fit our stock headlight bucket with load resistors and mounting brackets. I am getting the "Kit D" option with the changeable LED halo around the outside for $195. They even have the new "adaptive" lean turn signal style LED headlight that as you lean your bike the side of the headlight shines more to "throw" light into the curve so you are shining where you are turning toward.

https://www.vtxdaymaker.com/online-store/Daymaker-Kits-c30677074
      I don't have the stock bucket anymore, I'm running an Adjure bucket.  The Wisamic is only $40 off Amazon.  I looked at the kits they make for our stock bucket before deciding to go with the aftermarket bucket, a lot more options to choose from vs our stock bucket.