Author Topic: DIY BAK  (Read 551 times)

Fasttimez

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
DIY BAK
« on: Mar 21, 2021, 10:37:18 am »
Guys, my OCD has gotten the best of me and I've decided to do A LOT of wiring clean up along with making my own "BAK Style" intake.  I'm also removing my IAC and installing the Grizzly cable for idle adjustments, basically getting rid of everything the bike really doesn't need to clean it up.  So I got the airbox out and measured the TB's, which are exactly 2" (50.8mm). I ordered a set of K&N pod filters that I will mount directly to the tops of each TB.  I'll also tap the top of each filter and T them together for crankcase evacuation (eliminates any oil mist problem). I'll post pics along the way to keep everyone updated.  I see no reason to spend $275 or more for the BAK when 2 K&N pod filters will run you about $70 - $80. 

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: DIY BAK
    « Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2021, 06:51:13 pm »
    I did this on my last Raider.  It's a good mod but I did not see big diff in performance over the stock box with K&N filter and elevated cover - are you seeing a difference?  What did you do with the crankcase vent?

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    « Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2021, 07:08:31 pm »
    I haven't got my filters yet, waiting on them to get here. I plan on running a hose between the filters and teeing them to the crankcase vent (like the pic shows).  I really did it to clean up the underside of the tank above the engine area.  Makes working on the bike so much easier and getting to stuff when I need to.  I'm not really looking for performance, just looking to clean it all up and not have to deal with that huge airbox anymore.

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2021, 09:06:03 pm »
      I haven't got my filters yet, waiting on them to get here. I plan on running a hose between the filters and teeing them to the crankcase vent (like the pic shows).  I really did it to clean up the underside of the tank above the engine area.  Makes working on the bike so much easier and getting to stuff when I need to.  I'm not really looking for performance, just looking to clean it all up and not have to deal with that huge airbox anymore.

Kinda what I did before - it worked fine.  I just haven't had the motivation to do it on the new bike.  That kit looks much better and cleaner.  Good luck!

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2021, 04:58:18 pm »
      Little update on my project......I finally got my filters in and some other stuff I've been waiting on.  Made a template out of cardboard to fabricate a plate to mount my factory wiring harness, IAC filter and rear pressure sensor.  After looking the bike over and pondering how to secure the plate, I decided to use the factory motor mount holes.  I'll use longer bolts and secure the plate using nuts on the backside of the plate.  This requires the use of longer bolts and some nuts (which is no big deal)...... HOWEVER....... In Yamahas infinite wisdom, the right side motor mount holes are NOT threaded all the way through like the left side holes.  So out comes the ole M10x1.25 tap and in about 3 minutes I have fully threaded thru holes.....LoL.  Now to fabricate the plate tomorrow at work and mount it up.  Here's some pics of the left side with longer bolts and nuts on the backside, and of the right side I tapped all the way thru.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2021, 12:12:47 pm »
      Got my plate all fabricated at work today, now to install it when I get home.  Just have to mark a couple more holes for mounting items, drill them out and I'm done.  That tab welded to the front of the bracket is to hold my IAC filter up and out of the way. 

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2021, 10:14:32 pm »
      Got my plate all fabricated at work today, now to install it when I get home.  Just have to mark a couple more holes for mounting items, drill them out and I'm done.  That tab welded to the front of the bracket is to hold my IAC filter up and out of the way.

Coming along good bro , that bracket looks sweet too !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2021, 11:03:35 am »

Coming along good bro , that bracket looks sweet too !
      Changed up the bracket about 5 times before I was happy with the minimalist design. Now to install it on the bike and hook everything back up.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2021, 04:16:43 pm »
      All finished......everything is back together and it runs great.  I took a couple pics for you guys.  I ran my numbers about 3 times to calculate pumping efficiency vs crankcase pressure, and found I only needed 1 line for proper CC function.  I ran it to the rear TB filter.  Everything runs very smooth. 

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2021, 04:41:16 pm »
      To where did you relocate the coils?

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:29:45 pm »
      To where did you relocate the coils?
      I didn't relocate them, I left them in the stock location behind the covers.  It's been my experience the cooler you can keep your ignition coils the better.