Author Topic: Switch controls  (Read 331 times)

713Raider

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Switch controls
« on: Apr 06, 2021, 12:49:44 pm »
Hey all. It was a log read to try and find the answer so I thought I would ask in case anyone else was wondering the same. I am considering taking the control switches to get chrome plated. Would you all share your experiences removing the covers? Was it a difficult? How many beers deep would it take to remove and reinstall? Anything I should be careful not to remove or damage?

Thanks in advance.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Switch controls
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2021, 01:32:41 pm »
    Little springs can go flying if you dont know. What you are doing,  dont ask how I know
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2021, 04:05:04 pm »
    Little springs can go flying if you dont know. What you are doing,  dont ask how I know
    Not just the little springs but also the little ball bearings that you'll never see again.
    713Raider several owners have polished the OEM housings and they look just as good as chrome & you don't have to take them apart to do it.

• Advertisement

713Raider

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2021, 04:07:40 pm »

So if I just so happen to lose a ball bering or spring, how difficult and expensive is it to find replacements?

713Raider

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2021, 04:08:29 pm »
      Not just the little springs but also the little ball bearings that you'll never see again.
      713Raider several owners have polished the OEM housings and they look just as good as chrome & you don't have to take them apart to do it.

I hadnt thought about that, but if I feel like I am getting in over my head, I may go that route.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2021, 10:18:01 pm »
      I have chrome controls, and like the guys have said you gotta be careful when dealing with them because stuff will go flying no doubt
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2021, 02:13:23 pm »

So if I just so happen to lose a ball bering or spring, how difficult and expensive is it to find replacements?

You wont be able to but any internal parts of the switches if you lose or break anything.
      I have done this twice. The left side s/w is the easier side to do so do that first to give yourself some confidence.
      You need to know how the external parts come off. The indicator knob pulls off but you have to give it some! The horn button pushes hard to one side (I think to the right) to get it off. Undo the screws from the back(2)  and it will expose smaller screws internally. Its just a matter of remembering what order to take bits apart.

The right side s/w is where you can lose a ball bearing and that is the more awkward part. The same rules apply to get the external buttons off.

Its not for everyone, however its a job that when you have done it once you would do it again.

One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

chilly

• V Star
      « Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:37:58 pm »
      I am considering taking the control switches to get chrome plated. Would you all share your experiences removing the covers?

~chilly