Author Topic: loss of power and new decel on gear change or roll off.  (Read 898 times)

IronHorse

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
The last few rides I thought my raider seemed a little less l, like the torque was gonna it would be fine in 2nd sometimes in 3 but when I opened the throttle in forth it felt like all the torque was gone. Today I tried to open the throttle in 3rd and I thought it was gonna die. I also noticed occasional popping on decel and when Reving after changing gears with some heavy engine braking when rolling of the throttle. Starting is a little slower not much but a hair hesitation. Also sounds a lot quieter. This all feels new. My first thought was spark plugs as I donít think they were changed by the original owner at 8k (Iím at 10500 bought it at 9500)
But then I considered the battery the owner said it had factory original battery(2014 model) so I planned to replace it this year. Iím I way off base here or is there something else to look in to as well. I ran the Ignition diagnostic and can barely here the spark plugs firing not even sure they are but all 4 canít be not working. Battery voltage reads 11.9 after starting a running 12.2 but drops. Thoughts? suggestions? Thanks!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: loss of power and new decel on gear change or roll off.
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2021, 07:12:00 am »
    Kinda sounds like ignition issues.  Change the plugs and check the plug wires. 

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2021, 12:03:53 am »
    Kinda sounds like ignition issues.  Change the plugs and check the plug wires.

I agree, and also check the charging voltage going to that old battery.  It is old, AGM or not, and that voltage should be 13 volts or more (off idle)--not falling off.  Plugs and a battery would not be a bad investment considering time and mileage even if there are other issues brewing like fuel delivery.  I've had the best of luck with fresh OEM plugs in all my bikes over the decades.  You'll find guys loving high-mileage iridiums on this site, but I've found them to be very finicky if things aren't just right.  Good luck and keep us posted!!   :wheelie:

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

• Advertisement

cobaltss01

• 2015 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2021, 09:22:15 am »
      Sounds like possibly the battery with those voltage readings.

IronHorse

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2021, 08:18:47 am »
      Thanks! I am going replace both as suggested. It needs it and they are easy fixes. I just wanted to make sure I didnít miss anything more obvious and be chasing my tail.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2021, 08:49:04 am »
      Be sure to blow out the plug wells before removing the plugs - don't want to drop FOD in your motor.

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2021, 02:06:43 pm »
      Be sure to blow out the plug wells before removing the plugs - don't want to drop FOD in your motor.

Excellent catch A.T.   That should be a given when working on any engine, regardless of plug orientation.  Better safe than sorry.  Even canned air will help a lot if you don't own a compressor.    :thumbs:

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2021, 10:14:08 pm »
      Since your doing the plugs it wouldn't hurt to clean or replace the Air Filter while you're at it.

IronHorse

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2021, 06:31:27 pm »
      Roger that thanks for the tip on blowing out and I will do the air filter as well. The new battery should be in today and it looks like rain this weekend so perfect time.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2021, 01:35:53 am »
      Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

IronHorse

• V Star
      « Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2021, 06:14:26 pm »
      Thanks everybody seems to have  the trick! Now on to the next fix.