Author Topic: $84 Removeable Stock driver seat backrest (UPDATED)  (Read 511 times)

FireNative

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
$84 Removeable Stock driver seat backrest (UPDATED)
« on: Apr 20, 2021, 08:24:48 pm »
I just install this stock driver seat removeable backrest. I got it new from Ebay from a seller named Axe63. It cost $84 with pocket, (or $80 no pocket) and comes with the hardware, seat and the seat comes with a pouch. The only Ebay link he has for our Raider is for a driver backrest that the hardware connects under the stock passenger seat. The hardware leaves a slot for the seat's attached flat bar to slide in. I contacted the seller, (it also says in the description) and he said if I don't have a stock passenger seat but do have a stock driver seat I could get this one and then go in the description during the purchasing process and leave a note asking for the "solo" version and he would gave me the hardware to install on the stock driver seat. This is what it looks like. I didn't get a chance to ride with it on yet but just seating on it....DANG it feels good on my lower back! Super support. I would 100% recommend as its the cheapest stock seat backrest option. Check it out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222436580159?ul_noapp=true

Just to confirm this link is for a removeable stock driver seat backrest that NEEDS a stock passenger seat to put the hardware under, BUT you can get this item and make a note in the buying process asking for a "solo" version if you DON"T ride with the stock passenger seat but DO ride with a stock driver seat.

For stock drive seat rides, not sure if it would work with a stock passenger seat attached or not. This is the second to cheapest driver backrest option at $155

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-up-Yamaha-Raider-Fully-Adjustable-Rider-Driver-Back-Rest-Backrest-Pad-Kit/162856025570

Anyone have any experience with either one of these backrests?

The advantage to the cheaper one is price and there is a set screw you can tighten to hold it in place or you don't have to and can just pop off the backrest at anytime. The $155 one doesn't seem to be able to come off without unscrewing the hardware.

The last pic is for the $155 backrest that can only be removed by unscrewing the hardware.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:28:04 pm by FireNative »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Looks like a really good pad with many options, great find.  Too bad I already have one but I paid way more...  :(

FireNative

• Road Star
    Re: $84 Removeable Stock driver seat backrest (UPDATED)
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 01:28:16 pm »
    (UPDATED AFTER 1000 MILES OF USEAGE)
    After putting in about 1000 miles on this new removeable backrest I can say some good and some bad. First it feels great on my lower back as it positioned where my back rests while sitting. It is firm against my lower back without hurting it. The only thing is after about an hour my back bends the metal of the bracket and makes the backrest go backwards causing it to have less contact with my back. So every hour or so when I pull over to get gas or whatever I always take the pad off and press the hardware down to make it tight against the top of the stock driver seat. I believe if you buy the version of this backrest that comes with hardware for the stock passenger seat this should NOT happen, well that is my guess. Its not too bad as you can bend it back pretty easy and for the lowest price at $85 AND its removeable as I didn't even install the set screw to hold it into place so I can just slide it out anytime I think the backrest is good enough. I may end up trying to weld some extra metal to it to make it more rigid and less flexible and less prone to bending. But for $85 and being removeable I would still 100% recommend it.

• Advertisement

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 03:08:15 pm »
      Funny you should say that. As I was looking at the pictures, I was thinking "that thing's gonna bend back if he puts any real pressure on it". A thicker bracket would help a lot, but make sure it won't contact and damage the fender.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:31:44 pm »
      but make sure it won't contact and damage the fender.

Yeah mine already bent backwards enough to slightly damage the paint so yeah you have to keep your eye on it or at least shove a rubber strip to protect it from rubbing

CHROMINATOR

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:51:26 pm »
      Wow, too bad it's not strong enough to hold up against longer rides.  I don't understand why anyone would make a backrest that won''t hold up against the rider leaning on it.  I can press back as hard as I want on mine and it ain't going anywhere.  I guess that could also explin why I paid more for it...  :o  But I won't trade it for any other.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 09:36:21 pm »
      Wow, too bad it's not strong enough to hold up against longer rides.  I don't understand why anyone would make a backrest that won''t hold up against the rider leaning on it.  I can press back as hard as I want on mine and it ain't going anywhere.  I guess that could also explin why I paid more for it...  :o  But I won't trade it for any other.

I'm guessing yours has a frame inside the rider's seat. His is bolted to the seat bracket bolts, goes around and up in the back of the seat. With nothing to hold it ahead of the seat bracket bolts, it's easy to make it bend back because the backrest has all the leverage. But for the price I think it's a hell of a deal. I couldn't get a pad that size upholstered in leather for that price.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 10:32:06 am »
      Mine is based off of a design someone here sent me. The one he sent used thin metal and did eventually bend and snap. Luckily he had wrapped it in vinyl, so it didn't do any damage or fall off my Raider. I copied the same design and used thicker metal and it doesn't bend at all. Works great. Cost me under $10 to make the bracket and I already had the pad from a seat I bought many, many years ago and since sold. The bracket bolts in under the seat.

CHROMINATOR

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Today at 03:59:00 am »
      Mine is based off of a design someone here sent me. The one he sent used thin metal and did eventually bend and snap. Luckily he had wrapped it in vinyl, so it didn't do any damage or fall off my Raider. I copied the same design and used thicker metal and it doesn't bend at all. Works great. Cost me under $10 to make the bracket and I already had the pad from a seat I bought many, many years ago and since sold. The bracket bolts in under the seat.

Yours is pretty bad ass Dan, I remember when it broke and you fabricated the new one.  Looks like it came with the bike.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Today at 09:56:50 am »

Yours is pretty bad ass Dan, I remember when it broke and you fabricated the new one.  Looks like it came with the bike.

Thanks!  I'm good with it and the price definitely worked.