Author Topic: Shifter kickback and miss issues and operation inquery.  (Read 235 times)

IronHorse

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Shifter kickback and miss issues and operation inquery.
« on: Apr 26, 2021, 06:21:03 pm »
Lately my raider will occasionally kickback/grind? Or other wise protest shifting down. This happens at any speed with the clutch all the way in. It gives a pretty good thump and I have to try again to get it In gear. Also when coming to a stop in a higher gear I can only shift one or to down before I have to release the clutch till it engages and then pull in and shift down again. I know our clutches are clunky but this is def a different feel. Is damage happening? Is it happening to the gears or the clutch? What kind of damage? Shavings or broken teeth kind? Or is it all normal operation.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Shifter kickback and miss issues and operation inquery.
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2021, 06:33:58 pm »
    Be careful - 3rd gear failure has happened to a few of us - it's an issue with some of the older bikes.  Search on "3rd gear"

IronHorse

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2021, 06:41:03 pm »
    Thanks Iíll check it out mines a 2014 scl and so far 3rd seems good to go but Iíll read up on it.

• Advertisement

IronHorse

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2021, 06:48:14 pm »
      Doesnít seem to be like anything described there.(thankfully) I donít know how to explain it very well everything runs and sounds fine just very occasionally it resist shifting to first along with a little feedback.

IronHorse

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2021, 07:04:45 pm »
      Did some testing while sitting in the garage could get the harder clunk but I could shift up to 5th then down to forth then I had to slowly let the clutch out till I felt a nudge in the shifter then I could shift down again going back up same.

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2021, 08:31:35 pm »
      When was the last oil change? Have you tried bleeding the clutch?
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

IronHorse

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2021, 08:42:29 pm »
      Last oil change was in November just put hit a thousand miles after the change I havenít bled the clutch yet but I can read up on it. On further reading looks like as far as the shifting up and down and having to reset is normal for these bikes when not moving or stoping in high gear. So that leaves the harder than normal clunk going to first and if thereís any damage caused by it? I would almost say itís like the revs are to high to drop it in to first so it resist but shouldnít the clutch disengage from the gear box. Every other gear shift smoothly with satisfying clunk.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2021, 03:22:27 am »
      jI think something is going on, not being a mechanic of any source I have no idea what it could be but we have a hydraulic clutch and every gear should shift the same if all is working properly, I know mine does.  Hopefully someone can chime in that has some knowledge in this area.  If all else fails you can always take it to the shop and have them check it out.