Author Topic: Stator going bad?  (Read 385 times)

FireNative

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Stator going bad?
« on: May 02, 2021, 12:23:31 pm »
I just to new tires and a new battery as its a 2012 model and they were probably made in 2011, ten years ago. The battery and tires are maybe 3 months old and the battery is always low, I keep my NOCO GB40 portable jumper with me on long trips in the saddlebags and I needed to jump my bike once on my last trip. I think the stator is going out as it is not recharging the battery as I ride as I logged about 160 miles per day average for 6 days straight and it still seemed like the battery was almost dead. Any tips to check my stator? Any advice? The Yamaha Dealership told me to keep my battery on trickle charge year round but my bike is under my carport and I don't want to keep it plugged in 24/7 as the rain could get to the cord and I don't like having something plugged in outside 24/7. Any advice? Maybe just put it on trickle charge the week before a long trip?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:25:19 pm by FireNative »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Stator going bad?
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 03:26:18 pm »
    If you're certain it's not the battery, check the wiring to the regulator/rectifier, and if that's good, replace the R/R - that's an easy task.  Prices on R/Rs vary (as does quality).  Someone on this board recommended an upgraded R/R - search for the info.

If the problem persists, then it could be the stator, and replacement is a real task (pipes have to come off, oil drained, new o-rings/gaskets/torque bolts).   The stator can be checked with an OHM meter, and if there's continuity between the coils, then it's shot/shorted.   But to truly test the stator, you'll need a no-shit OHM meter as the Yamaha tolerances are very precise (into the thousandths).  You should go to the dealership who should have the correct tester - they can test it by pulling the R/R cover and disconnecting from the R/R.

Marc "The Urban Legend" may have input as to other things to check - but it's a straight forward system.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:55:33 pm »
    Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it's good - you can pull the battery and take it to Napa and have the test it - I just had to swap out a 2 yr old battery had a dead cell. Also check the end of the cables to make sure they are clean and tight.

• Advertisement

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 05:55:40 pm »
      If you're certain it's not the battery, check the wiring to the regulator/rectifier, and if that's good, replace the R/R - that's an easy task.  Prices on R/Rs vary (as does quality).  Someone on this board recommended an upgraded R/R - search for the info.

If the problem persists, then it could be the stator, and replacement is a real task (pipes have to come off, oil drained, new o-rings/gaskets/torque bolts).   The stator can be checked with an OHM meter, and if there's continuity between the coils, then it's shot/shorted.   But to truly test the stator, you'll need a no-shit OHM meter as the Yamaha tolerances are very precise (into the thousandths).  You should go to the dealership who should have the correct tester - they can test it by pulling the R/R cover and disconnecting from the R/R.

Marc "The Urban Legend" may have input as to other things to check - but it's a straight forward system.

Actually, one would want continuity in the coils.  Each coil will have a certain amount of resistance and with them wired in series resistance/continuity would be desired.  If there isn't resistance or continuity then the condition would be an 'open' condition, not shorted. 

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:33:55 pm »
      thanks for all the tips and info guys