Author Topic: Charging Voltage  (Read 370 times)

Fasttimez

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Charging Voltage
« on: May 02, 2021, 03:14:03 pm »
I have a quick question, the more people that chime in the better.  For those that have a volt meter (DVOM) can you check to see what your bike is putting out at idle, and give it some throttle to see what it spikes up to while revving it a couple times.  Also mention if you have a lead acid, AGM or lithium ion battery.  Doing some research and need real world data. 
Also what does the service manual say a normal charging range is at idle for our bikes ?  My manual is at work right now. 

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
    Re: Charging Voltage
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 06:07:54 am »
    So checked the workshop manual this morning, it says normal range for unloaded charging voltage is 14.2 - 14.8 volts.  Checked mine at idle, and it was charging at 14.5 volts, revved it to 3,000 rpm and held it steady, charging steady at 14.6 volts.  Guess everything is within normal ranges according to Yamaha. Only reason I'm asking others to check theirs, is because I replaced my R/R with an "upgraded" R/R that only uses enough voltage as the bikes electrical system is calling for, vs the OEM R/R sending full voltage at all times.  When I replaced my headlight with the LED assembly, the stator growl was BAD !!! I installed this R/R and no more stator growl, 100% gone. 
    Some people are claiming the newer style R/R has made their bike run slower (no actual evidence, just butt dyno evidence) saw one guy who said it caused his spark plugs to foul out after only 200 miles from running too rich... said he called Ivan and he said that the newer style R/R might be sending MORE voltage thru the ECU causing a rich condition  :o  My question is HOW would a R/R that's designed to only pull as much voltage as the bike is asking for send MORE voltage than the OEM R/R that's designed to send max voltage 100% of the time.....LoL 
    Anyway, I've made the switch and it's worked out great so far for me.  Just seeing what everyone else's bike outputs at idle and at about 3000 rpm. 
    Only electrical draws I have (light wise) are a LED headlight and a Blaster X taillight, I'm running an Anti-Gravity Lithium Ion Battery.