Author Topic: No signal lights  (Read 1788 times)

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
Re: No signal lights
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 03:45:37 am »
Clayton any update? Did your brother find anything?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 08:12:28 am »
    Clayton any update? Did your brother find anything?
    We didnít have any luck  :( the other night. Not sure what to do. Heís not sure what to do or how to check it. We disassembled the switch and it seemed to be ok. Still gotta remove the fuel tank and see if we can check at the plugs on top of airbox with ohm meter wires to make sure none of the wires are broke between the switch and where they connect on airbox lid. I remember years ago when running the wires thru the drag bars I shaved some insulation off one of the wires trying to pull them but I was able to wrap up with tape. We donít know how to test the signal relay, so guess Iíll just order that 1st since itís the least expensive at $70 and try that! If that doesnít fix then i guess Iíll have to order the entire handlebar switch assembly at $175 and have to pull the handle bars and go thru the pain of running the wires thru the bars again  :( !  Just wished I knew someone close to me that would have more knowledge on this stuff! Electrical stuff is way above my head

So just checked with my dealer a flasher relay and they donít have any in stock said theyíre only available in Japan and it might be up two weeks before they can get it :(! I did notice that Yamaha has some flashers with different part numbers for older bikes but the flasher looks identical to the Raiders flasher
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:50:39 am by Clayton »

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    « Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 09:59:08 am »
    I feel for you and hope you don't have to pull the wires through the bars again. I did it once. Will not do it again if I can avoid it.

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 05:12:42 pm »
      Did you check the wiring at the rear under the inner fender?  Just a thought

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 05:39:11 pm »
      Did you check the wiring at the rear under the inner fender?  Just a thought
      No I didnít! Iíll check that just in case! I still got tail lights/brake lights that work.

Nope no rubbing under rear fender!
      « Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:09:06 pm by Clayton »

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #20 on: May 08, 2021, 10:23:38 am »
      Clayton
      At the flasher relay: brown              12V+ input (same fuse as horns and headlight relay)
                                    black               ground
                                    white/yellow    auto-cancel signal from ECU
                                    brown/white    12V output to switch. Power should blink
                                    yellow/red       ground through switch when either side flasher is selected

Send 12V to the brown wire, ground the black and the yellow/red wires, and check for flashing power from the brown/white with a test light (a voltmeter may not draw enough power) I don't think the auto-cancel wire needs to be there for the relay to work.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #21 on: May 08, 2021, 10:39:13 am »
      Clayton
      At the flasher relay: brown              12V+ input (same fuse as horns and headlight relay)

Send 12V to the brown wire, ground the black and the yellow/red wires, and check for flashing power from the brown/white with a test light (a voltmeter may not draw enough power) I don't think the auto-cancel wire needs to be there for the relay to work.
      Thanks Marc Iíll show this to my brother and also I have a friend that is gunna look at it next week! As I still donít understand what to do from reading this. So your testing this while the flasher box is plugged into the plug on the bike behind the mud flap? Maybe if I seen a video of the process it would make more sense. I just never messed with electrical stuff.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:43:49 am by Clayton »

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #22 on: May 08, 2021, 10:50:38 am »
      Clayton

Thanks Marc Iíll show this to my brother and also I have a friend that is gunna look at it next week! As I still donít understand what to do from reading this. So your testing this while the flasher box is plugged into the plug on the bike behind the mud flap? Maybe if I seen a video of the process it would make more sense. I just never messed with electrical stuff.

You're not alone.  Most electrical is so foreign to me.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 11:28:57 am »
      Clayton

Unplug the relay and use jumper wires directly on the relay terminals. Sorry I wasn't really clear on that.
      You probably have a '08 service manual. The wiring diagram is on the last page (the previous page is for Stratoliner). You said your brother was a mechanic so he should be able to make sense of it. I'd go myself but you're a little out of my area...

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 03:58:24 pm »
      Ok so we took a jumper wire and connected to brown wire to the brown/white wire on the plug and then hit the signal light switch and they lit up. So looks the switch works fine. Looks like bad flasher box. I ordered a customled flasher relay  $25 and so that way my lights wonít blink so fast and Iíll just do away with the auto cancel. Lot cheaper that route than buying a new relay from Yamaha for like $75.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:00:16 pm by Clayton »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 05:15:51 pm »
      Sounds like the flasher relay to me but I'm not an electrician but I have been shocked before
      I told you 3 days ago it was the flasher  :shrug: :yay: :crutch: :neener:

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #26 on: May 09, 2021, 07:32:03 pm »
      Ok so we took a jumper wire and connected to brown wire to the brown/white wire on the plug and then hit the signal light switch and they lit up. So looks the switch works fine. Looks like bad flasher box. I ordered a customled flasher relay  $25 and so that way my lights wonít blink so fast and Iíll just do away with the auto cancel. Lot cheaper that route than buying a new relay from Yamaha for like $75.

Did you check the yellow/red wire for ground? That wire has ground only when the flasher switch is on. It tells the relay to turn on.
      If you go with the 2 wire CustomLed relay, then that yellow/red wire doesn't matter anyway. It's red to brown, and black to brown/white.

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: May 09, 2021, 09:04:32 pm »

Did you check the yellow/red wire for ground? That wire has ground only when the flasher switch is on. It tells the relay to turn on.
      If you go with the 2 wire CustomLed relay, then that yellow/red wire doesn't matter anyway. It's red to brown, and black to brown/white.
      No Marc we did not.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 07:27:12 pm »

No Marc we did not.

Well like I said, if you go the CustomLed way, that wire won't matter.

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #29 on: May 25, 2021, 06:27:20 pm »
      Signal lights work again! Finally got a flasher relay delivered in the mail and works like new now