Author Topic: High Beam Indicator Light  (Read 984 times)

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 20
Re: High Beam Indicator Light
« Reply #15 on: Jun 05, 2021, 01:40:39 pm »
Maybe have to look at OEM parts list in speedo compartment to see if there's a replacement bulb.
I adjusted my high beam so that I could use it day or night - the low beam sucks on roads with no street lights - never had anybody flash their lights at me either.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

the urban legend

• Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Jun 05, 2021, 02:18:19 pm »
    Maybe have to look at OEM parts list in speedo compartment to see if there's a replacement bulb.

You can get the speedometer assembly separate from the upper case and lower case, but that's about all.
    The LED bulb (IF it's a bulb. It could be an actual LED soldered to the circuit board) seems to be part of the speedometer assembly.
    I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #17 on: Jun 05, 2021, 02:51:49 pm »

You can get the speedometer assembly separate from the upper case and lower case, but that's about all.
    The LED bulb (IF it's a bulb. It could be an actual LED soldered to the circuit board) seems to be part of the speedometer assembly.
    Marc from everything I've looked at he'd have to get the meter assembly like you're saying

• Advertisement

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #18 on: Jun 05, 2021, 08:39:28 pm »
      GOOD F'ING GRIEF!! AN ENTIRE SPEEDOMETER FOR ONE LOUSY LED?
      Help! My 30 year old mind is trapped in a 75 year old body.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Jun 05, 2021, 08:55:06 pm »
      GOOD F'ING GRIEF!! AN ENTIRE SPEEDOMETER FOR ONE LOUSY LED?

If all the other indicator lights work, leave well enough alone. 

toy

• Roadliner
      « Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2021, 07:47:10 am »
      If it really is just the led, you can get small led's. (if) The bad one is on a board, and you would have to wire it in yourself. It would cost about $5 and some of your time. You probably wouldn't take the old one out, just put a realy small one over top...

We did something similar with the dash lights on a 2000 f350. We swapped out all the dash indicator bulbs (which were prone to going bad) with really small led's. In this case, you would basically need something like this "nano" https://evandesigns.com/collections/hobby-leds

you would need to either run a couple of ugly wires inside the speedo, or be ok with soldering. The circuits you need are already running to the speedo through the wires, but I dont know if you want to tap them before the board in the wire set or on the board. Its been a while since i had the speedo apart and I dont remember exactly. If i was doing it myself, i would make that decision with the speedo apart while i was looking at it.

Anybody have a pic of the speedo with the face off?

There are only 10 types of people, those who can read binary and those who cant.

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #21 on: Jun 07, 2021, 03:56:46 pm »
      If it really is just the led, you can get small led's. (if) The bad one is on a board, and you would have to wire it in yourself. It would cost about $5 and some of your time. You probably wouldn't take the old one out, just put a realy small one over top...

We did something similar with the dash lights on a 2000 f350. We swapped out all the dash indicator bulbs (which were prone to going bad) with really small led's. In this case, you would basically need something like this "nano" https://evandesigns.com/collections/hobby-leds

you would need to either run a couple of ugly wires inside the speedo, or be ok with soldering. The circuits you need are already running to the speedo through the wires, but I dont know if you want to tap them before the board in the wire set or on the board. Its been a while since i had the speedo apart and I dont remember exactly. If i was doing it myself, i would make that decision with the speedo apart while i was looking at it.

Anybody have a pic of the speedo with the face off?

Thanks for the link. That is a great website for small LED's. I never knew that existed. Once I get into the speedo and figure out whats going on, I can see what I would need to replace the light. I can do soldering. I almost always solder custom wiring connections in my bikes. I have loads of LED's on my Raider, so it comes in handy for having secure connections to solder everything.
      Help! My 30 year old mind is trapped in a 75 year old body.