Author Topic: Raider Clutch master cylinder issue  (Read 724 times)

Raiderftw

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Raider Clutch master cylinder issue
« on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:36:22 pm »
OK so had a leak at the pivot point of the clutch lever. Ordered the replacement part from yamaha. Local mechanic took the bike in for a clutch master cylinder rebuild. Told me that yamaha gave me a rebuild kit for the brake master cylinder on accident but he can use the same o rings case they look the same. Got the bike back the next day and clutch lever felt great.

2 days later took it for a ride... Heres what I noticed

A- Saw a good amount of a clear fluid on the top cap of the clutch master cylinder cover. Level was still full in sight glass.
B- Lever pulls fine but when I let it go it doesn't go all the way back on its own, maybe 1/4 inch i can push out with my fingers.
C- Now having issues shifting from first into 2nd gear only. Sometimes works fine sometimes takes 2-3 tries to get it into gear. Never did this before.

Called the mechanic and he's gonna look it over for free. Said worst case scenario I may need a new master cylinder which is almost $500

In your opinion would a leaking hydraulic clutch cause the shifting issues?  Bike has 30k miles on it and never did it before. This is my first bike with a hydraulic clutch...

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

sundancer87

• Road Star
    Re: Raider Clutch master cylinder issue
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:57:25 pm »
    It's very possible he put the cups on backwards or the cups may not be exactly correct for the bore of the clutch master cylinder.  Hopefully he'll find the problem.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2021, 02:48:49 pm »
    If you have leaking fluid, make sure you clean it off everything ASAP. Brake fluid can be a wonderful paint remover.

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2021, 05:19:18 pm »
      Yeah - if the master isn't actuating the slave, you will have issues.  Get it fixed properly.  My slave cylinder failed and shot me/bike into an intersection.  Thank god no one was coming.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2021, 09:55:17 am »
      Yeah - if the master isn't actuating the slave, you will have issues.  Get it fixed properly.  My slave cylinder failed and shot me/bike into an intersection.  Thank god no one was coming.

Man! That could've been bad.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2021, 07:00:51 am »

Man! That could've been bad.

Yep - I was riding with a group at Thunderbeach...we were all revving at the intersection...embarrassing when shit like that happens

Raiderftw

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2021, 01:04:00 pm »
      Just a follow up. My mechanic rebuilt the clutch master cylinder for free. No more issues. So moral of the story is to make sure when u order a rebuild kit for your clutch, you don't get a brake rebuild kit instead. Because both packages from yamaha just say master cylinder rebuild. Apparently the o rings have just enough difference in size that they leak.