Author Topic: Need a Starter  (Read 3355 times)

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Need a Starter
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:44:38 pm »
My DB Electrical starter arrived a couple days ago, but I didn't have a chance to install it until today. My Raider would roll over to a spot and stop, there would be so much battery drain from the stalled starter motor that my speedometer would recycle.  The bike would start, but only after it complained about it a bit.  With the new starter, it fires immediately, the cranks are strong and it doesn't sound like I have a dead battery anymore.

I did a "post mortem" on the old starter and found nothing that would point to a problem.  Brushes, commutator, bearings, windings, magnets looked just fine.  It just didn't work well. 

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

wyner

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #31 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:40:17 pm »
    Glad yer up and running again. I like my DB starter also. With so many of Yamaha's being bad, I think it's the better choice.

Luke

• 2011 Raider - Roll on!
    • Warrior
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2019, 12:49:54 pm »
    I took my starter apart today and replaced it.   I found out my starter had one stuck bushing that was not allowed it to slide to the motor.  I think this did not help my hard starting.  Just did not crank very well.  So I replaced it with ..... see picture from Ebay.  BETTER PRICE TODAY 11-29-19...Cranks much faster and with more force.  Starts right up every time.  This is the first day so, Like to see after one summer of how it performs.  I also could not get a reading on Insulation Resistance "2".  Also Resistance "1" was out of spec.  So maybe the motor was about shot as well.

• Advertisement

BuxStar

• SEA-ROAR
      • Road Star
      « Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2020, 05:56:17 pm »
      I have posted several times about my starter problem. 2nd starter and again will barely turn those jugs over. Took advice of several on this topic and bought a DB Electronics starter for $105 plus tax. Damn. What a difference! And 1/4 the cost of the pos Factory starter!
      Anyone want my 2 year old starter to tinker with before I chuck it? 
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2020, 06:37:32 pm by BuxStar »

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #34 on: Aug 16, 2021, 06:20:24 am »
      I realize this is a very old thread, but with any luck, it's worth refreshing.
      Last week, after not riding my Raider for a few weeks, she started even more laboriously than normal. A 10 minute ride to the gym and an hour workout later and I was left stranded until a jump arrived. I assumed it was my 2.5 year old battery so I ordered another... but after charging the battery fully I haven't had an issue since.

Well... I haven't had an issue meaning she has been starting the same as she always has... so maybe the battery is fine? I remembered reading a few threads about starters going bad, but mine hasn't "gone bad", it's the same it always has. But I figured I would re-read a few threads. This thread in particular stuck out to me because of TRaider_John's post, "My Raider would roll over to a spot and stop, there would be so much battery drain from the stalled starter motor that my speedometer would recycle."

Holy Hell, Batman! That is the EXACT thing my Raider has always done! I just thought she struggled because of the shear size of the jugs! You mean this ISN'T normal?!?

Well, I can always throw the new battery in the bike, or return it an get my $109 back if my current battery is fine. Screw it!

I just ordered the DB electric starter 5 minutes ago for $167, Item #: 410-54268-004. I'm hoping to be able to throw it in the bike this weekend. Man, if this starter tosses those pistons around a lot faster than I've ever seen, I'm going to really regret not doing this sooner.

P.S. I really hope I regret not doing this sooner.

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #35 on: Aug 16, 2021, 07:13:10 am »
      I realize this is a very old thread, but with any luck, it's worth refreshing.
      Last week, after not riding my Raider for a few weeks, she started even more laboriously than normal. A 10 minute ride to the gym and an hour workout later and I was left stranded until a jump arrived. I assumed it was my 2.5 year old battery so I ordered another... but after charging the battery fully I haven't had an issue since.

Well... I haven't had an issue meaning she has been starting the same as she always has... so maybe the battery is fine? I remembered reading a few threads about starters going bad, but mine hasn't "gone bad", it's the same it always has. But I figured I would re-read a few threads. This thread in particular stuck out to me because of TRaider_John's post, "My Raider would roll over to a spot and stop, there would be so much battery drain from the stalled starter motor that my speedometer would recycle."

Holy Hell, Batman! That is the EXACT thing my Raider has always done! I just thought she struggled because of the shear size of the jugs! You mean this ISN'T normal?!?

Well, I can always throw the new battery in the bike, or return it an get my $109 back if my current battery is fine. Screw it!

I just ordered the DB electric starter 5 minutes ago for $167, Item #: 410-54268-004. I'm hoping to be able to throw it in the bike this weekend. Man, if this starter tosses those pistons around a lot faster than I've ever seen, I'm going to really regret not doing this sooner.

P.S. I really hope I regret not doing this sooner.

Once you receive the new starter, can you report back on here so we know if its a lot better than the standard one
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #36 on: Aug 16, 2021, 07:42:28 am »
      Once you receive the new starter, can you report back on here so we know if its a lot better than the standard one

I absolutely will. I keep thinking I'll make my first video sometime soon... hopefully I'll find the time and energy to do it this time so you can see the before and after. Else, I'll explain it via written words.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #37 on: Aug 16, 2021, 01:56:48 pm »
      I just took my baby to my local Yamaha dealership for its 8K service check and oil change. They changed the battery last year as it was about 8yrs old (2012 to 2020) and they found the solenoid was bad, the spark plugs needed changing, and the front fork seals needed to be replaced, (I was the one that pointed them out to the tech as they were rusting from the inside and rust was popping out so yeah I wanted them changed) but if this solenoid last under 5yrs I want a stronger/better one to put in next time. Someone posted a better solenoid here and I can't find the tread. Any make and models on a stronger/better solenoid for our Raiders guys? Thanks in advance.

Anyone know the make and part # for a more powerful Solenoid that works on our Raiders? Thanks
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2021, 12:12:48 pm by FireNative »