Author Topic: Going to look at a 2009 Raider tomorrow  (Read 1951 times)

craftyrafter

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Going to look at a 2009 Raider tomorrow
« on: Jun 17, 2021, 09:03:20 pm »
I think I found a decent deal on a 2009 Raider S (at least I think itís an S because itís red and has chrome handlebar controls). This would be my third bike and Iím keeping my second which is a bar hopper type of cruise, the Suzuki VL800. I want the Raider because itís an all around outrageous bike but also because it seems like it would be much more comfortable at highway speeds. I generally donít travel much but do plan on taking a few out of state road trips on the order of 300-500 miles away. With that, I was hoping to get some answers before pulling the trigger on this bike:

1. Is there anything specific I should watch out for when looking at a used Raider?

2. I really like the look of a bullet cowl/fairing on the Raider. Is there any decent place to buy one from as this one doesnít have it.

3. Are sissy bars available for this bike?

4. What are good luggage options that donít ruin the look? The bike Iím looking at has a Cobra exhaust so it sits a lot lower.

5. Whatís the worst part of maintenance on the Raider?

Thank you so much!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

FireNative

• Road Star
    Re: Going to look at a 2009 Raider tomorrow
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2021, 10:35:33 pm »
    1) 08 and 09 model years can have lifter problems so you will want to ride it around the block to confirm its firing on all cylinders. someone on the site can confirm but it should be a manufacturer warranty job if it does have that problem.

4) for luggage options you can add saddlebags, ( I have universal quick disconnect brackets on my saddle bags because I don't like the look of bags and windshields so I only put the bags on for long trips) I also have a suction cup passenger pad, (paid $200 for a Saddlemen one but I would recommend a cheap $20 Amazon one if its only to throw a bag on) I have a huge ‎23" x 19" x 13" Kuryakyn passenger bag I throw on it and strap down and secure to the saddlebag brackets, that way I have the look of an awesome cruiser and I can throw on the saddlebags and passenger bag for storage on long trips, and I pop the bags off and use them as luggage in the hotel.

$56 Universal quick disconnect bracket with 8mm bolts that fit our Raiders
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019XTNY2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$107 saddlebags 18"L x 7.5"W x 10.5"H
    https://www.amazon.com/Nomad-USA-Extra-Large-Reinforced-Motorcycle/dp/B01LZM1GPX/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Nomad+USA+Extra-Large+Universal+Reinforced+Armor+Synthetic+Black+Leather+Throw+Over+Motorcycle+Saddlebags+%28Plain%29&qid=1623988940&s=automotive&sr=1-2

$207 huge ‎23"L x 19"H x 13"D Kuryakyn passenger bag
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZT344C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$180 Saddleman suction cup passenger pad if you want someone to ride on it
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B9V15J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$20 cheap suction cup passenger pad if you just need the pad to hold up your passenger bag
    https://www.amazon.com/Pillion-Suction-Passenger-Sportster-Softail/dp/B0741C94ZB/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=detachable+pillion+double+diamond&qid=1623989357&s=automotive&sr=1-5
    « Last Edit: Jun 17, 2021, 11:15:03 pm by FireNative »

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2021, 06:27:38 am »
    The accessories for Raiders are hard to find now that the bike finished in 2017

The 2015 Raider had the Bullet Cowl as standard so again, you'll find it hard to get one. They do come up now and again so keep an eye out on e-bay and forum sites.

The 2009 models seemed to have lifter issues but I can't imagine Yamaha 12 years on changing these under warranty but if you can, well done. It's not a major problem if you need to have them looked at.

Getting at all 3 oil drain plugs in one go is almost impossible unless you have a ramp and the air filter is under the tank which is a pain. Once you get the tank off or out of the way, it gives you better access to the rear right hand spark plug so if you wish to change or check it, now is the time.

Good luck with your purchase
    One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

• Advertisement

2012CVKNebulasRaider

• Ride it while you can! Time is Fleeting.
      • V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2021, 01:40:07 pm »
      Hello craftyrafter, Iím a new member (as of today) to this forum & 1st post. (Itís a long post because Iím  wordy)
      (I have been monitoring this site for a year before I joined) I wonít be posting much. I like this forum for help with maintenance tips & repairs. But if I feel I can help I will chime in.

Here is my experience purchasing a used 2012 Raider last spring (April 2020).  The bike only had 5800 miles on it, so I know it spent a lot of itís time sitting un-used for 7+ years.
      I have since put 4500 miles on the bike & after 1-year here is what I would recommend when buying this old (2009) of a bike with low miles:

1) Inspect the bike for any missing screws, nuts, bolts or un-coupled connections. Front, back, inside & underneath.

2) Ask the seller if he/she is the first/second/thirdÖ. Owner & has the bike been stored/kept in a closed environment (garage or basement) or outside under a carport exposed to the elements. This makes a big difference in the condition of the bike & component parts as in rubber components, hoses (fuel, hydraulic clutch lines, brake fluid lines etc.) & plastic parts such as front & rear turn signal lenses for example. All these components deteriorate rapidly when exposed to outside conditions.

3) Check the front & rear brake master cylinder & your hydraulic clutch master cylinder viewing holes. If the fluid is dark (brown) have the lines flushed & filled with new clear Brake/Hydraulic fluid. Have a knowledgeable brake mechanic inspect the lines. They may also need to be replaced.

4) Change the engine oil with approved motorcycle oil.  **Period.**  You will read on this forum that everyone has their favorite motorcycle oil to use. Just make sure it is 4-stroke motorcycle oil for use with  a wet clutch as recommended in the Yamaha Raiders ownerís manual. (I use the Yamaha Yamalube 10W/40 for motorcycles)

5) Change the Transfer Oil. This is not critical but would be a good thing to do to start fresh with your new (used) bike & you donít know the maintenance history. Check the ownerís manual or down load the ownerís manual from several links from this forum. I donít believe the links for the Yamaha Technical Service Manual for the Raider (dated 2008) work anymore, but the YTSM is nice to have & basically hasnít changed in the Raiders 10-year history (2008 Ė 2017).

6) Check the battery. Voltage should test out at or around 12.5 to 12.8 volts. If the battery is more than 3-yrs old & has been sitting a lot, go ahead & get yourself a new battery. Iím currently trying one of the LifePO4 Lithium-Ion Battery from Parts Unlimited. This battery is super light & pegs the volt meter at a steady 13.14 volts & has 240-CCA.  So far so good.

**Special Note: If you are a DIYíer, get yourself a good motorcycle jack. The cost of $70 (Harbor Freight on sale) to $125.00 (Northern Tool) is more than worth the cost & will make all the difference in the world for changing oil, filter, front/rear wheel/tire change as well as rear wheel drive belt tensioning & adjustment. Lastly for checking underneath the frame for cleaning &/or inspection, etc.

7) Check the front & rear tires for dry rot &/or find out how long the tires have been on your bike new. If these are the original Metzeler tires or have been on the bike for 4+ years, change them out for new ASAP. (I installed the Bridgestone Exedra 210/40 rear & 120/70 front) A bunch of folks on this forum use the larger 240/40 rear tire from several different makers. I like to use what is spec for the bike. To each his own.

8) If the owner states that the bike has always been ďhard startingĒ or hesitant or it takes several pushes on the starter button to start the bike & itís the nature of the bike, Itís not.  From what I have read including this forum, IMHO, Yamaha made or contracted a whole bunch of these starters that were just crap. Go ahead & purchase a new started from DB Electrical (https://www.dbelectrical.com/ ) part # 410-54268 ($150.00 to $180.00).  By the way, the starter on this bike is one of the easiest major components to remove & install.

9) Use Premium fuel.  91 octane or higher. The big 1900cc just likes the higher octane.

I know this post is long but this is what I went through with my new (used) 2012 Raider. And I love getting out on the road & stretching her legs getting up to 110 to 120 mph when I can get away with it.

I hope this helps!
      CVK
      Ride it while you can! Time is Fleeting.

ctgjerts

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2021, 07:50:04 pm »
      Others have answered 1 - 4.  As a new owner since March I'll take a crack at 5.

As far as maintenance goes I didn't have any issues.  I watched all the Youtube videos available regarding the various maintenance that I wanted to do once I got the bike home.  (1900 mile ride from Vegas to Indy.)

I don't have a lift.  So far, hasn't been needed.  Still limber enough to roll around on the garage floor when needed. 

Oil change - cut a home depot 5 gal bucket to fit under the bike.  Accessed the bolt heads with a thin head wrench from the passenger side and drained oil from back to front with zero issues and the whole oil change took about 15 minutes.  Used Yamahalube and a K&N filter with the 17mm hex nut.
      Gear oil change - I have the 2 into 1 vance hines exhaust so this was a piece of cake.  Bought the funnel with a hose on it and got this fluid change done in about 15 minutes as well. 
      Rear tire - paid a shop to swap out the shinko for a Michelin Commander 240 width.  Super easy on my part lol - dropped the bike off and picked it up two days later.
      Rear brake pad swap - another quick change over.  Watched Byrds video - took longer to let the bike cool off than it did to swap out the rear pads.  Easy, Easy, Easy job.
      Headlight swap - I put a VTX Daymaker B2 bulb in as a result of night riding with a LED bulb in that only gave enough light on bright. 

So far, I've not found anything on the Raider do be difficult from a maintenance stand point.  I am still surprised how little storage is on the bike having come from a SV650S with a surprising amount of storage under the pillion.

In the 3.5 months I've had the Raider I've gotten compliments on it almost every time I've been on it. 

I think I found a decent deal on a 2009 Raider S (at least I think itís an S because itís red and has chrome handlebar controls). This would be my third bike and Iím keeping my second which is a bar hopper type of cruise, the Suzuki VL800. I want the Raider because itís an all around outrageous bike but also because it seems like it would be much more comfortable at highway speeds. I generally donít travel much but do plan on taking a few out of state road trips on the order of 300-500 miles away. With that, I was hoping to get some answers before pulling the trigger on this bike:

1. Is there anything specific I should watch out for when looking at a used Raider?

2. I really like the look of a bullet cowl/fairing on the Raider. Is there any decent place to buy one from as this one doesnít have it.

3. Are sissy bars available for this bike?

4. What are good luggage options that donít ruin the look? The bike Iím looking at has a Cobra exhaust so it sits a lot lower.

5. Whatís the worst part of maintenance on the Raider?

Thank you so much!

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2021, 01:56:02 pm »
      1) not just used Raiders but ALL Raiders can have a problem when you mess with the electrical system. The stator is very "touchy". If you reduce the amps the system is pulling, (like swopping out OEM lights for LEDs) this will reduce the amps being pulled from the system and you have a good chance you will hear the "Stator Growl". You can add some load resistors to the system to stop this from happening if you add LEDs.

$10 for 2 new on Ebay plug and play H4 connection which is the stock headlight connection load resistors
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/333725560994

If you are changing out the headlight and not just going to a bulb swop out you will need a headlight retention adaptor these are 2 I have found from the forum

$100 new on Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/383278105899

$93 with load resistor this bracket is adjustable for moving the line of sight of the beam
      https://www.vtxdaymaker.com/online-store/The-Original-Adjustable-Bracket-Version-2-p143275687
      https://www.vtxdaymaker.com/raider

This site also offers different LED lights with bracket, and with load resistors for our Raider starting at $160 for light/resistor/and adaptor
      https://www.vtxdaymaker.com/online-store/Daymaker-Kits-c30677074%3Fsort%3DpriceDesc

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2021, 01:57:47 pm by FireNative »

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2021, 02:05:03 pm »

8) If the owner states that the bike has always been ďhard startingĒ or hesitant or it takes several pushes on the starter button to start the bike & itís the nature of the bike, Itís not.  From what I have read including this forum, IMHO, Yamaha made or contracted a whole bunch of these starters that were just crap. Go ahead & purchase a new started from DB Electrical (https://www.dbelectrical.com/ ) part # 410-54268 ($150.00 to $180.00).  By the way, the starter on this bike is one of the easiest major components to remove & install.

2012CVKNebulasRaider I went to that dbelectrical.com site and punched in 2012 Yamaha Raider and the only product that came up was this $35 Starter Solenoid Relay Yamaha Xv19 Raider, Roadliner, Yzfr1, after I punched in part # 410-54268 I found the starter

https://www.dbelectrical.com/search-results/#?Make=YAMAHA&Vtype=MOTORCYCLE&Model=RAIDER%20S%20XV19CS&Year=2012&Enginetype=1854CC

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/starter-for-1854cc-yamaha-xv1900-roadliner-2006-2007-1d7-81890-00-00.html

when I swop out the starter should I also swop out to this starter solenoid? Thanks.
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2021, 02:09:20 pm by FireNative »

2012CVKNebulasRaider

• Ride it while you can! Time is Fleeting.
      • V Star
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2021, 11:05:56 am »
      Hey FireNative, you don't have to change out the solenoid. Just plug and play. Take your old starter out &  put the new starter in and it'll change your world with your Raider. It'll crank like a champ. I wish I knew do this about 8 months ago!
      Ride it while you can! Time is Fleeting.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2021, 12:18:06 pm »
      2012CVKNebulasRaider thanks I'll put a new better starter on my list so hopefully next year

WIKD

• V Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2021, 02:36:11 pm »
      So did you get it?

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2021, 05:36:08 pm »
      craftyrafter did you get the Raider?

heftysmurf

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:15:37 pm »
      Yyyyyyooooo Crafty did you get the new ride?
      2011 Raider S