Author Topic: Quiet 2-into-1 exhaust still in production?  (Read 1976 times)

ponyexpress

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Quiet 2-into-1 exhaust still in production?
« on: Jun 29, 2021, 12:49:06 pm »
Hi all. I just bought a raider with 2-into-2 pipes with the baffles removed (looks like a Vance & Hines radius but not quite).

The bike is basically unrideable due to how loud it is.

Ideally Iíd like the Freedom Performance Combat Outlaw 2-into-1 with swappable baffles but Iím pretty sure that exhaust is discontinued. Thereís a cobra tri-pro I can get my paws on but it comes up a bit high for my saddle bags. At this point Iím almost considering just paying $500 for the stock 2-into-2 exhaust or getting one custom made thatís not too loud for touring and doesnít look goofy.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2021, 01:21:21 pm by ponyexpress »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: Quiet 2-into-1 exhaust still in production?
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2021, 01:20:36 pm »
    WELCOME to the forum.

Don't pay for a stock exhaust.  More than likely you can find someone who will just give it to you for the cost of shipping. I personally would never put a stock exhaust back on my Raider unless I was planning to trade it in for a new Raider.

Dudeman

• SEA-ROAR
    • Warrior
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2021, 07:54:45 am »
    Hell, you can have mine. I live it Charlotte, NC if you are close. Shipping might be a bit pricey depending on where you live.
    Sent from my TRS-80 using BASIC

• Advertisement

ponyexpress

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2021, 09:23:28 am »
      Incidentally, I'm about two hours West of you in Asheville! I'll DM you.

I can imagine I'd be squarely disappointed with the performance of the stock pipes but it would be more of a temporary fix until I can decide on something custom built by an outfit like Morton's Custom Cycles not too far North East of Charlotte. If you haven't heard of them they make a few nifty accessories for the Raider and other metric cruisers and the insanely loud pipes I have on now (they look and sound good most of the time but the previous owner ordered them unbaffled).

I know what I'm suggesting is blasphemous, but if you ride an hour or two a day (I live basically on the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway) at two to four times as loud as 100dB which cruiser pipes easily and typically produce + wind noise even with a windscreen you're gonna beat the daylights out of your cochlea and get hearing damage in 15 minutes (according to the NIOSH and OSHA charts) and tinnitus over time depending on how your brain "decides" to deal with the damage, which if you don't have already, just take my word for it and don't find out.

It turns out Freedom Performance still makes the 2-into-1 Combat exhaust for the raider but I'll have to wait for it on back order. It won't bring the sound pressure level down to a ton (maybe half i.e. 3dB but not from 110dB to 86dB) but it will cut the high frequencies that tend to be the most damaging not to mention make an unbaffled bike sound like a rotor-tiller with the choke set to "hare" at certain RPMs. Sounds great at idle though!
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2021, 09:25:59 am by ponyexpress »

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2021, 09:36:50 am »
      The biggest negatives to the stock pipes is the size and the weight. Being as close as you are, had it been any other set of exhaust, I'd recommend doing a bike trip of it, but not with the stock exhaust. It would be way too hard to haul on a bike and the weight could make it really awkward.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2021, 02:30:11 pm »
      Hi all. I just bought a raider with 2-into-2 pipes with the baffles removed (looks like a Vance & Hines radius but not quite).

Ideally Iíd like the Freedom Performance Combat Outlaw 2-into-1 with swappable baffles but Iím pretty sure that exhaust is discontinued. Thereís a cobra tri-pro I can get my paws on but it comes up a bit high for my saddle bags. At this point Iím almost considering just paying $500 for the stock 2-into-2 exhaust or getting one custom made thatís not too loud for touring and doesnít look goofy.
      Since you live in Asheville you should try to come to the Raider Rally in Maggie Valley next month www.raiderrally.com if you're not already planning on attending 8)

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2021, 05:32:23 am »

I'd they are V&H 2x2 I well buy them from you if in good shape, well be at the Raider Rally in Maggie Valley end of this month and we can meet up
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2021, 10:10:36 am »
      ponyexpress did you contact the manufacturer and ask if you could ship the pipes to them and if they could install some baffles in the pipes? Or do you know for sure the pipe's threads where damaged with the original baffle removal? If they are not damaged you could ask the manufacturer if you could buy some baffles for them an install them yourself if you like the look of the pipes? Just throwing some ideas to consider.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider

ponyexpress

• V Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2021, 03:49:09 pm »
      ponyexpress did you contact the manufacturer and ask if you could ship the pipes to them and if they could install some baffles in the pipes? Or do you know for sure the pipe's threads where damaged with the original baffle removal? If they are not damaged you could ask the manufacturer if you could buy some baffles for them an install them yourself if you like the look of the pipes? Just throwing some ideas to consider.

I ordered some baffles from Morton's Custom Cycles here in NC. But they said they will only make a 15% difference tops, they were made basically because the law required them to.

ponyexpress

• V Star
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2021, 03:53:51 pm »
      Have you contacted this place? https://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/roadliner-stratoliner-raider-exhaust-freedom.htm

I'm ordered Freedom Performance Combat Outlaw 2-into-1 exhaust from West End Motorsports. They are on back order from Freedom Performance for the next week or two BUT I'm beginning to think those will not be any good either.

I think I'll try something like the 2-into-2 system you see on the XV1900A; Freedom Performance makes one for the Raider. Do you know if it's a slip on system? That way I can take the mufflers off and have them tuned or whatever. Maybe put in some Big City Thunder baffles.
      « Last Edit: Jul 01, 2021, 04:15:27 pm by ponyexpress »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2021, 07:51:02 am »
      Have you contacted this place? https://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/roadliner-stratoliner-raider-exhaust-freedom.htm

I'm ordered Freedom Performance Combat Outlaw 2-into-1 exhaust from West End Motorsports. They are on back order from Freedom Performance for the next week or two BUT I'm beginning to think those will not be any good either.

I think I'll try something like the 2-into-2 system you see on the XV1900A; Freedom Performance makes one for the Raider. Do you know if it's a slip on system? That way I can take the mufflers off and have them tuned or whatever. Maybe put in some Big City Thunder baffles.
      I don't have personal knowledge of the exhaust you're talking about but I don't think I'd want the dual set up - make changing the back tire a real PITA.

ponyexpress

• V Star
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2021, 08:18:16 am »

I don't have personal knowledge of the exhaust you're talking about but I don't think I'd want the dual set up - make changing the back tire a real PITA.

Thatís the shopís problem, not mine. If theyíre slip on exhaust they could just strip it down to the headers to change the tire. HD dealers have to do it for baggers all the time.

RangerRick

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2021, 08:32:28 am »

Thatís the shopís problem, not mine. If theyíre slip on exhaust they could just strip it down to the headers to change the tire. HD dealers have to do it for baggers all the time.

When they hit you in the Wallet, then that might be your Problem :P
      2007 Honda VTX 1300R
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2021, 09:40:06 am »
      I will say that the pipes on both sides has some appeal. That's pretty sharp looking.