Author Topic: Dies when going into gear  (Read 826 times)

gogolf0401

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Dies when going into gear
« on: Jul 02, 2021, 11:13:56 am »
Hey guys, my (2009) bike dies when I try to put it in gear.. sometimes. It will also die when riding.. sometimes. Intermittent issue that has recently gotten worse. I bypassed the sidestand switch, still dies. I was going to check the clutch switch at the handlebar next, but would also like to check the other end of it. Anyone know where to find that connector and where it is at? I'm pretty sure I have a bad clutch switch or broken wire. When things are working, ign is on bike is off, I pull the clutch and I can hear a relay clicking under the seat/fender. When things aren't working I hear no clicking. I bought a new relay pack and that didn't fix it. TIA!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

gogolf0401

• V Star
    Re: Dies when going into gear
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2021, 01:19:05 pm »
    update: I found where the clutch switch goes into the relay under the seat/front of fender. I checked continuity with both wires back to the clutch switch and all is good. I checked the clutch switch itself and it closes when pulled, so all of that seems fine. I jumped the clutch switch wires at the relay and it still dies when going into gear. So this rules out the clutch switch and sidestand switch. What else could it be? Neutral safety? To me that shouldn't matter if already running and going into gear, it should only matter when starting. Any other ideas?

gogolf0401

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2021, 04:49:19 pm »
    Figured it out. The blue connector under the seat which is for the sidestand was not making good connection. Eliminated the connector and just attached the wires, problem fixed.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2021, 05:49:13 pm »
      Nice!

WELCOME to the forum!

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2021, 09:32:26 am »
      Figured it out. The blue connector under the seat which is for the sidestand was not making good connection. Eliminated the connector and just attached the wires, problem fixed.

Just make sure you remember to put the sidestand up before you take off. I had a buddy almost go down in a left turn because he forgot the sidestand. That was on a pre safety switch era motorcycle.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2021, 10:10:17 am »

Just make sure you remember to put the sidestand up before you take off. I had a buddy almost go down in a left turn because he forgot the sidestand. That was on a pre safety switch era motorcycle.

That's a ONE AND DONE thing.  More than once and one needs a safety switch.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2021, 05:36:13 pm »

I took it that he only eliminated the connector for the wires and just hard-wired them together. I didn't get that he eliminated the safety feature.

I know I wouldn't.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2021, 09:03:55 pm »

I took it that he only eliminated the connector for the wires and just hard-wired them together. I didn't get that he eliminated the safety feature.

I know I wouldn't.
      I think Marc is having another Antonio moment  :shrug:

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2021, 09:40:28 am »

I know I wouldn't.

When I first read it, my understanding was that he bypassed the switch. Now that I see these 2 comments, I read it again and I think he hardwired the switch to the main harness. If that's the case, then it's a much safer repair.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2021, 12:58:03 pm »

I know I wouldn't.

When I first read it, my understanding was that he bypassed the switch. Now that I see these 2 comments, I read it again and I think he hardwired the switch to the main harness. If that's the case, then it's a much safer repair.

That's how I took it.

We may never know if he only signed up to get suggestions and then left once he figured it out.