Author Topic: Poor gas mileage  (Read 1452 times)

just john

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Poor gas mileage
« on: Jul 06, 2021, 05:56:05 pm »
Hey ,
        I have a 13 Raider s with a Cobra fi2000 programmer and a Vance & Hines big shot pipe. I bought the bike with these mod's already fitted so I have no idea what kind of fuel mileage it had before. To say the mileage is sad would be a gross understatement i got just under 100 miles out of the last tank.....now even giving her a bit of a thrashing every now and then I still think it should be be getting a few more miles per gallon than what's going on.....maybe it's just me. A few month's back I took it to a local dealer to see if they could figure out what the problem was......no they couldn't the answer they gave me was maybe because you have such a large pipe combined with the tuner is probably why your mileage is shite...sounded like a guess to me, so I payed the bill and left. Up until this last tank full I have not payed it much attention but with gas getting stupid  priced out here i figure maybe I should try and figure out what gives.
    I know nothing about this Cobra fi2000 programmer, does it have different tunes would a big radius pipe suck so much gas...I don't know...do you?
jj

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ctgjerts

• V Star
    Re: Poor gas mileage
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2021, 07:17:38 pm »
    LOL - going to need to adjust your fuel commander.  I came to the Raider from a SV650s which ridden like a hooligan would get 270 miles to a tank at a minimum.  First tank on my'14 Raider and the fuel light came on at 107 miles with 20 miles to go to the closest gas station.  I was deeply concerned and had to do some math as I had another 1800 miles to get home.  I made it to the station fortunately but I was definitely sweating the last few miles.

Long story short - as the guy I bought my Raider told me - this bike will pass everything but a gas station.  The most I've gotten out of a tank is 130ish - I don't know exactly as I've not ridden til it ran out.  My light typically comes on at 110 miles.  My bike has a power commander fuel and a Vance 2 into 1 exhaust, like yours set up by the previous owner. 

In the fall I plan on getting the Ivans ecu flash and having a local shop tune the bike on a dyno afterwards.  I'll have them install the cruise I just bought as well.  In the end I dont care if the fuel economy gets any better I love riding this bike and how quickly it moves.  The lack of fuel economy is just part of it for me.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2021, 07:26:40 pm »
    The size of the exhaust has nothing to do with it so you probably shouldn't go back to that shop - if the only mod is an exhaust you don't need a controller so try unplugging it and see how the bike runs - but 120 miles per tank is close to normal - the bike holds 4.2 gal which includes the .8 gal in the sub tank.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2021, 10:44:52 pm »
      I would definitely find a new shop to service your Raider.

2012CVKNebulasRaider

• Ride it while you can! Time is Fleeting.
      • V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2021, 10:09:53 am »
      If your 2013-Raider still had all of its original equipment you would probably be getting 38mpg on the low-end & 48mpg on the high-end (highway miles). But the Raider is nothing more than a high performance fuel injected Big-Assed Engine Hot-Rod on 2-wheels. When you add performance products like the V&H pipes, Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro ECU & one of the known BAK’s so that Big-Assed Engine can breathe & exhaust more easily you are going to consume more fuel. But that is why you bought the bike in the first place. To feel the power & let everyone else see you feel the power. That’s what makes it soooo much fun.
      If you like to get on it every now & then & you do a lot of around town riding like I do your going to get anywhere of 29mpg on the low-end & up to 35mpg on the high-end.
       ;)
      Ride it while you can! Time is Fleeting.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2021, 11:22:01 am »
      yep I have a 2012 Raider S and all stock and it gets about 40mpg and so about 160miles per tank but I usually try to fuel up about at 140 miles  if I'm in town and about at 100 miles if I am in the country with stations maybe 30 mins away. That's with me getting on it a few times but mostly cruising not flying. I think on the interstate with full saddlebags and a full huge 23"L x 14"W x 18"H passenger bag going about 75-80mpg with cruise control on I think I get about 30mpg. So I should get about 120 miles per tank worst case.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2021, 12:13:27 pm »
      OP - When you say you "got under 100 miles on the last tank", do you mean the light came on or you were down to fumes? My 2011 S, Ivan flash, airbox mod, V&H 2-into-1, goes right around 100-110 miles before the light comes on.

Note: I think it is generally accepted practice to NOT run your bike beyond the reserve light. The fuel pump is in the aux tank, which starts to get used after the reserve light goes on, and you typically don't want the fuel pump to undergo any additional stress like not being completely submerged in fuel. I don't think you will find anyone with proof that ignoring the reserve light will directly cause fuel pump housing damage, but many avoid using the reserve tank if possible.

ZEUS67

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2021, 12:43:21 pm »
      I have an 08 Raider S with the Cobra fuel processor and Cobra dragster exhaust.  If I don't get on it a lot I can get around 42 mpg and the worst I've gotten so far is around 38 mpg. I never run it very far after the light comes on and try to avoid it if I can but I can usually get 130 miles before I see it

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2021, 07:51:15 pm »
      Have a 14 with V&H 2in2, K&N with no lid and Ivan's flash. I use to run PCV before the flash got an average of about 40. After getting it flashed I did away with PCV. I have gotten just over 50 and as low as 38 mpg. Last weekend ran about 300 miles and averaged 43mpg, this was running 80-90 mph on highway and 70 through backroads to get to the twisties then throttling up and down. I truly believe my mileage got a lot better after getting Ivan's flash and is more even whether running around town, backroads or stomping it up past 120. ;D

ctgjerts

• V Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2021, 11:04:16 am »
      Have a 14 with V&H 2in2, K&N with no lid and Ivan's flash. I use to run PCV before the flash got an average of about 40. After getting it flashed I did away with PCV. I have gotten just over 50 and as low as 38 mpg. Last weekend ran about 300 miles and averaged 43mpg, this was running 80-90 mph on highway and 70 through backroads to get to the twisties then throttling up and down. I truly believe my mileage got a lot better after getting Ivan's flash and is more even whether running around town, backroads or stomping it up past 120. ;D

I just fueled up at 117 miles.  Took 3.6 gallons - 32.5mpg.  In the 5k miles I've owned this bike I've never gotten better than 36 mpg on a tank.  On the low end I've gotten around 30 - I knew that tank was going to be low due to getting in a group that was running north of 100 mph on the interstate.

That being said.  I did not buy this bike to worry about fuel economy - I bought it to have fun blasting off from stop lights and the immediate responsiveness of the throttle.  Personally I wouldnt care if it got mid 20's on the fuel economy.  I'd be happier with the bike if it had another gear for more top end speed, but that has it's trade off's as well - hello officer.  If the fuel economy goes up after I get the ecu flashed that'll help offset the cost.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2021, 12:03:08 pm »
      My 08 Raider had a V&H 2-1 Big Radius and a PCIII the best I ever got was in Colorado running ethanol free 58 mpg - the worse was the light coming on at 89 miles on a late night run from Daytona to Jacksonville  :ohyeah:

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2021, 10:55:14 pm »

I just fueled up at 117 miles.  Took 3.6 gallons - 32.5mpg.  In the 5k miles I've owned this bike I've never gotten better than 36 mpg on a tank.  On the low end I've gotten around 30 - I knew that tank was going to be low due to getting in a group that was running north of 100 mph on the interstate.

That being said.  I did not buy this bike to worry about fuel economy - I bought it to have fun blasting off from stop lights and the immediate responsiveness of the throttle.  Personally I wouldnt care if it got mid 20's on the fuel economy. I'd be happier with the bike if it had another gear for more top end speed, but that has it's trade off's as well - hello officer.  If the fuel economy goes up after I get the ecu flashed that'll help offset the cost.
      :agree: That's what I say when I see my Vmax is getting 22 MPG ;D

Raiderftw

• V Star
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2021, 09:19:34 am »
      My usual is around 110 miles when I get a light and thats riding with a purpose.  Best I've ever done with babying it was 140 with the light. Worst was around the 80's when I did a a run on the interstate to see where it pegged the speedo...

ctgjerts

• V Star
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2021, 08:29:05 pm »
      My usual is around 110 miles when I get a light and thats riding with a purpose.  Best I've ever done with babying it was 140 with the light. Worst was around the 80's when I did a a run on the interstate to see where it pegged the speedo...

And?  What was the result?  I got in a group between Kingman and Flagstaff AZ doing more than 110 but I didnt hit the rev limiter and I didn't look down at the speedo after 110.

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2021, 10:43:04 am »
      Get rid of the controller and have the ecu flashed by Ivan...no more issue.
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009