Author Topic: For those who already have exhausts, be thankful.  (Read 2975 times)

Orion90

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
For those who already have exhausts, be thankful.
« on: Aug 13, 2021, 12:26:40 am »
It's so hard to find any exhaust right now without getting bent over.  Everything is either out of stock, or priced so high its not worth it!  Hell there is listings on ebay for scraped and rusted sharp curves for $500!  So if yours came with an aftermarket exhaust, especially that sexy V&H 2 into 1 be thankful.  :P

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: For those who already have exhausts, be thankful.
    « Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2021, 05:20:44 am »
    I have a set of cobra swept that well be available soon they are in almost perfect condition no scrapes but a few light scratches you have to look for
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Badbluraider

• Warrior
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2021, 06:40:47 am »
    That's why I bought my Freedom Sharp Curves about 8 months ago, I knew it would be an issue. They are still in the box once my V&H 2in2 get in REAL bad shape from scraping. ;D

• Advertisement

Orion90

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2021, 07:58:02 am »
      Are they scraping that bad from stock height or are you lowered?

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2021, 09:45:54 am »
      If your stock exhaust is original, here is a quick way to make them sound better, till you can find after market pipes. This video I made is 10 years old and not the best but gives you an idea of how it sounds.

https://youtu.be/WP_4trljXl0

Just take a piece of round stock that's stout enough and long enough to reach the spot welded plug in the other end of the mufflers and knock it open/out with a heavy hammer.
      2007 Honda VTX 1300R
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2021, 09:55:22 am »
      If your stock exhaust is original, here is a quick way to make them sound better, till you can find after market pipes. This video I made is 10 years old and not the best but gives you an idea of how it sounds.

Just take a piece of round stock that's stout enough and long enough to reach the spot welded plug in the other end of the mufflers and knock it open/out with a heavy hammer.

Rick- Did the stock exhaust have plugs to be knocked out?  I remember drilling holes until I took a Dremmel and completely bored out the whole thing.

You can also do like Dreadly did and take a chop saw to the end of the pipes and cut the end off as well.  It'll sounds about the same as boring it out, but will remove a lot of weight.

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:17:09 pm »
      yes at the back end there was a spot welded plug, meaning the opposite end of the opening in each muffler. This plug would either fall out or hinge open on one side, as it was only spot welded in two spots 180 degrees apart. just past that you could see the catalytic covert.

If the plug came off it would fall to the bottom of the housing out of the way.
      2007 Honda VTX 1300R
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:26:34 pm »
      It's been a long time since I have looked at the stock exhaust and I barely remember it.

Orion90

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2021, 03:10:42 pm »

The baffles are cut in mine.  While they sound decent, I don't think they look that great, and are bulky as hell.

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2021, 05:27:21 pm »
      yes they are ugly and heavy. but for me when I had the stock mufflers, before the Cobra Swepts. I tried all kinds of mods on the stock mufflers, and like the sound best produced by just knocking out the plugs
      2007 Honda VTX 1300R
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Orion90

• V Star
      « Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2021, 05:38:09 pm »
      I'm going for looks/weight savings at this point.  I have yet to hear an exhaust on the raider that sounds bad.  I think its just the nature of this motor.  Give it any kind of breathing ability and it will sing.  I really do think that my stockers with the baffles cut sounds damn good, but when I see it parked those bulky things are just distracting lol.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2021, 05:47:30 pm »
      I'm going for looks/weight savings at this point.  I have yet to hear an exhaust on the raider that sounds bad.  I think its just the nature of this motor.  Give it any kind of breathing ability and it will sing.  I really do think that my stockers with the baffles cut sounds damn good, but when I see it parked those bulky things are just distracting lol.

Agreed and if you attempt to add bags at all, they will be sitting far higher than you want them.

Orion90

• V Star
      « Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2021, 09:47:08 pm »
      I have a set of cobra swept that well be available soon they are in almost perfect condition no scrapes but a few light scratches you have to look for

I might just have to keep my eyes peeled then.  :)

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2021, 06:24:15 pm »
      No not lowered and that is the only reason I have not lowered because of scaping. I run a Avon 240 which is better than the original 210 because it is a bit taller giving more leaning angle.

Orion90

• V Star
      « Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2021, 09:02:52 pm »
      No not lowered and that is the only reason I have not lowered because of scaping. I run a Avon 240 which is better than the original 210 because it is a bit taller giving more leaning angle.

Yeah I have a 240 in the rear as well which is why I wanted to lower mine a bit.  These damn short legs of mine between the mustang seat and the tire are just a little to short to be comfortable.