Author Topic: New sound at cold start  (Read 918 times)

the urban legend

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: New sound at cold start
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2021, 03:38:06 pm »
Really hard to tell from your video. If it is lifters, then they're still very quiet... I should've taken a video of mine when the bad lifter decided to act up. THAT was noisy.
I do hear a little ticking in there somewhere but it's hard to identify. Have you checked for an exhaust leak?
I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2021, 04:16:51 pm »
    Really hard to tell from your video. If it is lifters, then they're still very quiet... I should've taken a video of mine when the bad lifter decided to act up. THAT was noisy.
    I do hear a little ticking in there somewhere but it's hard to identify. Have you checked for an exhaust leak?
    I was thinking that also

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2021, 05:40:34 pm »
    I was thinking that also

That would explain why it was only at start up and eventually went away.  Exhaust leeks tend to quiet when the pipes/engine heats up due to expansion.

• Advertisement

Mrzee

• V Star
      « Reply #18 on: Aug 31, 2021, 01:09:05 am »
      Thanx for the answers.
      I will check the exhaust for leaks, since it is smelling like exhaust gas on that side. Will order  a set of gaskets aswell to change them and see. From what i ve found there are 3 gaskets in a set for the exhaust, no?
      And i kindly ask an admin to move the post to technical area. Posted here by mistake
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2021, 01:11:01 am by Mrzee »

Mrzee

• V Star
      « Reply #19 on: Aug 31, 2021, 01:04:09 pm »
      Finally i found the problem, starting from the exhaust leak. Indeed it was a small exhaust leak and no gasket, God knows why. The noise i was complaining about was a broken metal collar that keeps the heatshield in place, there are 2, and one was broken and when the bike was runing was hitting the exhaust. Weird AF.
      Ordered gaskets will change them all and new collars. I feel silly for the post but thanx for your patience! My best thoughts to you all.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #20 on: Aug 31, 2021, 01:41:43 pm »
      Finally i found the problem, starting from the exhaust leak. Indeed it was a small exhaust leak and no gasket, God knows why. The noise i was complaining about was a broken metal collar that keeps the heatshield in place, there are 2, and one was broken and when the bike was runing was hitting the exhaust. Weird AF.
      Ordered gaskets will change them all and new collars. I feel silly for the post but thanx for your patience! My best thoughts to you all.
      Sometimes it's the simple stuff - back to the lifter issue - if you take two open end wrenched and tap them against one another you'll know what bad lifters sound like - just glad you figured it out and take care of the issue.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Aug 31, 2021, 04:12:13 pm »
      Glad we could point you in the right direction :thumbs:
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #22 on: Aug 31, 2021, 04:16:25 pm »
      At least you figured it out and was not as bad  as it could be
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Aug 31, 2021, 04:19:41 pm »
      Don't feel silly. You had a valid issue and it just took a little detective work. Glad it was something simple and inexpensive.

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      « Reply #24 on: Sep 02, 2021, 10:40:42 am »
      Like others have said:  This is what the forum is here for: Help people with problems and also help them spend money on mods!!  ;D ;D

Mrzee

• V Star
      « Reply #25 on: Sep 02, 2021, 11:55:20 am »
      Problem is there are not many moods and accessories you can buy for the Raider anymore. I ve been looking for some swingarm covers and a few other stuff for like 1 year...didn t find any, new or used. so i will just keep my bike runing. ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #26 on: Sep 02, 2021, 12:28:44 pm »
      You could make your own.  A swingarm cover would actually be fairly easy to fabricate.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2021, 02:56:05 pm »
      Problem is there are not many moods and accessories you can buy for the Raider anymore. I ve been looking for some swingarm covers and a few other stuff for like 1 year...didn t find any, new or used. so i will just keep my bike runing. ;D
      https://www.ridersdiscount.com/kuryakyn-swingarm-axle-adjuster-cover-for-yamaha-raider-166736

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2021, 04:22:10 pm »
      https://www.ridersdiscount.com/kuryakyn-swingarm-axle-adjuster-cover-for-yamaha-raider-166736
      click on link and try to add to cart and it reads not taking any orders
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2021, 07:43:32 pm »
      click on link and try to add to cart and it reads not taking any orders

Yeah, it does. How weird is that?!?!?