Author Topic: Bad vibrations that come and go  (Read 846 times)

dersteirer

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Bad vibrations that come and go
« on: Sep 06, 2021, 03:27:46 pm »
Hello,

some weeks ago I got myself a Raider from 2008, used with about 5500 miles on it. An importet bike from the US, as the Raider aren't available here in Germany.

I have a very strange problem: there are strong vibrations all over the bike. When I bought the bike I picked it up and on the way home (about 3hrs) I thought, well, not quite smooth this engine.
A few days after the engine was very normal and smooth. I had a ride and I thought, well, probably the gas was old, or the engine didn’t like the gas from Shell or whatever.

Then, a while later, the vibrations got stronger again, bit by bit. And because of a strange engine sound which gave me headaches, I went to the dealer again. On the way there I thought I was going insane due to the vibrations. BTW, I had a power commander installed for a short time, I had the problems with as well as without the PC.

When I arrived at the dealer (3 very annoying hours on the bike), the mechanic had a test ride. The knocking sound (the reason for the visit) was almost not to hear due to the fresh oil change (20w50), I am such an idiot… anyways, after a ride the mechanic said “everything is normal!”. WTF?!? I had a short ride, and nothing, absolutely nothing was wrong!

So we went back home (my wife, in a car, because I wanted to leave the bike there), riding on a German autobahn, everything was ok. I stopped for some gas (Esso) and went homeward bound.
And it started again, [email protected]@in’ hell, what is going on? These are hard vibrations, my bum and fingers were numb when I arrived home.

Currently the bike is at a shop for the tuning of the power commander, they are probably the best guys in northern Germany when it comes to bike and car tuning. I told them they should try to find out what is going on, but I don’t think they find the reason.

When she’s running normally, there are a bit of vibrations, nothing bad or annoying, quite ok for a single pin layout. And especially at higher RPM she’s pulling like crazy, a weapon!! When there are these vibrations, it’s all over the bike.
Has one of you ever had something similar?

Many thanks,
florian

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Bad vibrations that come and go
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:29:36 pm »
    Have you checked the tyres, wheel and true balance? The Raider is a big V Twin  and does have some vibs but what you are describing is not normal
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

dersteirer

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:35:19 pm »
    Wheels/tyres are new or almost new. The point is, that it is there, the next time everything is normal for a while.

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:43:12 pm »
      Does it happen at certain speeds in a certain gear? How old is the battery?
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021, 04:45:06 pm by ROADKILL »

dersteirer

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:48:13 pm »
      The dealer said the battery is new, when I first visited the bike the battery died.
      I am not sure if it occurs in certain rpm, probably in some not that strong, but basically it's there or it's not there.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2021, 09:11:35 pm »
      Did you check the ignition coils for clean/tight connectors? You could be facing a intermittent poor connection issue. Or maybe even an occasionally bad coil.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2021, 12:30:52 am »
      Is just only vibrating or you can here also a knock sound ?
      My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

dersteirer

• V Star
      « Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2021, 04:48:54 am »
      Thank you for your replies. There is no specific sound or knocking, engine sounds always the same.
      I will have a look at the ignition coils, but I don't know how to check the coils. Is there an "easy" way to check them? I think I saw a little bit of corrosion on them.

The one time when I was heading back home from the dealer was the strangest event. On the autobahn a pretty smooth ride, stopped at the Esso gas station for some normal/usual gasoline. And when I started the engine I thought, hmm, does it start again?  it was back again, and very annoying.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2021, 05:14:31 am by dersteirer »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2021, 10:44:07 am »
      I'd also check to make sure the plug wires are secure - also add some Sea-foam to the tank in case you got some bad gas or moisture in the tank.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2021, 11:19:02 am »
      I could see plug wires being an issue if it were only partially secured on. I had one I didn't get seated well and it came lose and vibrated pretty bad. It could also be that you have a partial break in one of the wires that is only cutting out intermittently. Though I would think the dealer would've definitely checked this if they're any good.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2021, 02:37:28 pm »
      Ok meant to ask this earlier the vibration happens when you are riding - if you pull over and stop does it continue to vibrate while the engine is running?

dersteirer

• V Star
      « Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2021, 05:01:41 am »
      It vibrates when I let the motor idle. I will check the spark plugs and wires when she's back from the shop. I 'll try to check the coils as well https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=136884.0
      Thank you for your help. I guess this will take a while until the problem is solved.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:00:52 am »
      It vibrates when I let the motor idle. I will check the spark plugs and wires when she's back from the shop. I 'll try to check the coils as well https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=136884.0
      Thank you for your help. I guess this will take a while until the problem is solved.
      The shop should check all of that while the bike is there  :thinking: :shrug:

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:13:32 am »
      The shop should check all of that while the bike is there  :thinking: :shrug:

I would think so.  If not, get a new shop.

dersteirer

• V Star
      « Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:27:17 am »
      Right, I was thinking that too, the shop where I bought it. But when I was there all of a sudden I had no problems and they said as long there is no problem there is nothing that they can do. Not the reaction I wanted... maybe the guys in the tuning shop find out the reason. They have a good reputation, but what counts in the end is, if they find the problem.

This time I didn't want to buy from a private person, so I am on the safe side. Yeah, whatever... :(

During the winter season I will check some things, like valve clearence, syncing the injection and so on. I did a lot of maintenance on my olde Honda Shadow, I spend many many hours, like tuning the air intake and rejetting. Especially the rejetting and syncing took a while, but the result is worht it. The previous owner obviously did not care about maintenance, and she's from 1994.

But the difference to the Yamaha is the price tag, a bike with 6000 miles on it should be in kind of mint condition.