Author Topic: Bad vibrations that come and go  (Read 2073 times)

dersteirer

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Bad vibrations that come and go
« on: Sep 06, 2021, 03:27:46 pm »
Hello,

some weeks ago I got myself a Raider from 2008, used with about 5500 miles on it. An importet bike from the US, as the Raider aren't available here in Germany.

I have a very strange problem: there are strong vibrations all over the bike. When I bought the bike I picked it up and on the way home (about 3hrs) I thought, well, not quite smooth this engine.
A few days after the engine was very normal and smooth. I had a ride and I thought, well, probably the gas was old, or the engine didn’t like the gas from Shell or whatever.

Then, a while later, the vibrations got stronger again, bit by bit. And because of a strange engine sound which gave me headaches, I went to the dealer again. On the way there I thought I was going insane due to the vibrations. BTW, I had a power commander installed for a short time, I had the problems with as well as without the PC.

When I arrived at the dealer (3 very annoying hours on the bike), the mechanic had a test ride. The knocking sound (the reason for the visit) was almost not to hear due to the fresh oil change (20w50), I am such an idiot… anyways, after a ride the mechanic said “everything is normal!”. WTF?!? I had a short ride, and nothing, absolutely nothing was wrong!

So we went back home (my wife, in a car, because I wanted to leave the bike there), riding on a German autobahn, everything was ok. I stopped for some gas (Esso) and went homeward bound.
And it started again, fu@@in’ hell, what is going on? These are hard vibrations, my bum and fingers were numb when I arrived home.

Currently the bike is at a shop for the tuning of the power commander, they are probably the best guys in northern Germany when it comes to bike and car tuning. I told them they should try to find out what is going on, but I don’t think they find the reason.

When she’s running normally, there are a bit of vibrations, nothing bad or annoying, quite ok for a single pin layout. And especially at higher RPM she’s pulling like crazy, a weapon!! When there are these vibrations, it’s all over the bike.
Has one of you ever had something similar?

Many thanks,
florian

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Bad vibrations that come and go
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:29:36 pm »
    Have you checked the tyres, wheel and true balance? The Raider is a big V Twin  and does have some vibs but what you are describing is not normal
    Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
    Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

dersteirer

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:35:19 pm »
    Wheels/tyres are new or almost new. The point is, that it is there, the next time everything is normal for a while.

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:43:12 pm »
      Does it happen at certain speeds in a certain gear? How old is the battery?
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021, 04:45:06 pm by ROADKILL »

dersteirer

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:48:13 pm »
      The dealer said the battery is new, when I first visited the bike the battery died.
      I am not sure if it occurs in certain rpm, probably in some not that strong, but basically it's there or it's not there.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2021, 09:11:35 pm »
      Did you check the ignition coils for clean/tight connectors? You could be facing a intermittent poor connection issue. Or maybe even an occasionally bad coil.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2021, 12:30:52 am »
      Is just only vibrating or you can here also a knock sound ?
      My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

dersteirer

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2021, 04:48:54 am »
      Thank you for your replies. There is no specific sound or knocking, engine sounds always the same.
      I will have a look at the ignition coils, but I don't know how to check the coils. Is there an "easy" way to check them? I think I saw a little bit of corrosion on them.

The one time when I was heading back home from the dealer was the strangest event. On the autobahn a pretty smooth ride, stopped at the Esso gas station for some normal/usual gasoline. And when I started the engine I thought, hmm, does it start again?  it was back again, and very annoying.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2021, 05:14:31 am by dersteirer »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2021, 10:44:07 am »
      I'd also check to make sure the plug wires are secure - also add some Sea-foam to the tank in case you got some bad gas or moisture in the tank.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2021, 11:19:02 am »
      I could see plug wires being an issue if it were only partially secured on. I had one I didn't get seated well and it came lose and vibrated pretty bad. It could also be that you have a partial break in one of the wires that is only cutting out intermittently. Though I would think the dealer would've definitely checked this if they're any good.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2021, 02:37:28 pm »
      Ok meant to ask this earlier the vibration happens when you are riding - if you pull over and stop does it continue to vibrate while the engine is running?

dersteirer

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2021, 05:01:41 am »
      It vibrates when I let the motor idle. I will check the spark plugs and wires when she's back from the shop. I 'll try to check the coils as well https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=136884.0
      Thank you for your help. I guess this will take a while until the problem is solved.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:00:52 am »
      It vibrates when I let the motor idle. I will check the spark plugs and wires when she's back from the shop. I 'll try to check the coils as well https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=136884.0
      Thank you for your help. I guess this will take a while until the problem is solved.
      The shop should check all of that while the bike is there  :thinking: :shrug:

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:13:32 am »
      The shop should check all of that while the bike is there  :thinking: :shrug:

I would think so.  If not, get a new shop.

dersteirer

• Road Star
      « Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:27:17 am »
      Right, I was thinking that too, the shop where I bought it. But when I was there all of a sudden I had no problems and they said as long there is no problem there is nothing that they can do. Not the reaction I wanted... maybe the guys in the tuning shop find out the reason. They have a good reputation, but what counts in the end is, if they find the problem.

This time I didn't want to buy from a private person, so I am on the safe side. Yeah, whatever... :(

During the winter season I will check some things, like valve clearence, syncing the injection and so on. I did a lot of maintenance on my olde Honda Shadow, I spend many many hours, like tuning the air intake and rejetting. Especially the rejetting and syncing took a while, but the result is worht it. The previous owner obviously did not care about maintenance, and she's from 1994.

But the difference to the Yamaha is the price tag, a bike with 6000 miles on it should be in kind of mint condition.