Author Topic: Lightest Toy Hauler recommendations  (Read 700 times)

FireNative

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Lightest Toy Hauler recommendations
« on: Sep 24, 2021, 08:54:54 am »
I just bought a 21' GMC Canyon 3.6L, V6, crew cab, 5' bed which has a towing rating of 7000ibs and a tongue rating of 700ibs. I am doing my research on getting a Toy Hauler about 20' long and about 5000ibs max. I have seen 20' Toy Haulers weighing from 4000ibs - 5000ibs. Can you guys give me make and model of Toy Haulers with bed, bath, and kitchens, weighing less than 5500ibs? Thanks for any info in advance. I have found these Toy Haulers with beds, bathroom, kitchen and weighing less than 5500ibs

SPORTSMEN® CLASSIC 180TH                 $19K
UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* 3,260
Dry Hitch Weight* 460
18'Lx90"W
bed, bath, kitchen

Keystone Hideout 172TX                           $19K
dry weight 3700ibs
tongue weight 670ibs
21' Length outside 17' without hitch
Queen bed, bathroom, kitchen 6 cubic foot refrigerator

2021 Palomino Puma Ultra Lite 187TH        $22K
Floor Length: 22'
Dry weight: 3529 lb.
Hitch weight: 535 lb.
bed, bath, kitchen

Forest River Wolf Pup 18RJB $20K
Hitch Weight: 426 lb.
UVW 3,435 lb.
Exterior Length:22' 9"
Exterior Height:10' 6"
Exterior Width:84"

any other make and models of Toy Haulers with bed, bath, kitchen, and weigh less than 5500ibs?
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2021, 11:53:15 am by FireNative »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Lightest Toy Hauler recommendations
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2021, 05:22:01 pm »
    I have a 15 Canyon same spec's 305 hp and with just a 5x10 utility trailer it pulls great and don't know it's back there when loaded but the fuel mileage drops down to about 14mpg from 25mpg with nothing behind it, dont think the Canyon is going to like a 20' 3500lb toy hauler behind it
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2021, 07:19:36 pm »
    Think you are not going to find a TH less than 5K GVWR.  How about this?

https://www.kz-rv.com/2020-products/escape-travel-trailers/2020-E180TH.html

Maybe consider converting an enclosed trailer?  Seen a few of those but they're not luxurious.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2706868082861689/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/362384978818004/

• Advertisement

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2021, 07:49:58 pm »
      Thanks for the info guys. If my Canyon is rated for towing 7000ibs why wouldn't it be able to tow a 3500ibs Toy Hauler with a 750ib motorcycle totaling only 4250ibs? Thats 2750ibs below its rated towing ability? 🤔

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2021, 11:24:21 pm »
      Depends how far you are going to tow, how fast you want to get there, which direction wind is blowing, how big the hills are and what altitude.

Tow ratings are based upon towing a flat trailer with a low profile load.   Campers are like a huge sail and the wind drag is the biggest thing that will decrease towing ability. 

Don’t listen to the camper sales people.  They just want to sell a camper. 

My 2019 F150 3.5 ecoboost with max tow package is rated to tow 10,800#.    Towing my 7’x14’ enclosed aluminum v-front trailer with 2 snowmobiles inside, the total trailer weight is approx 3,000#.  The interior height is 6’5” so trailer is a little taller. 

It pulls fine if there is very little crosswind but when the crosswind is like 15mph or more the handling becomes very unstable at 75mph.   

Fuel mileage sucks.  Truck is rated for like 23mpg highway but that rating is when driving 60-65.    I get 17-19 going 75 without trailer.   With enclosed trailer I get like 9.5.   Pullling my small open trailer with 2 sleds I get approx 11.5 because the sleds on trailer are not aerodynamic. 

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2021, 09:12:33 am »
      Coldfinger thanks so much for the info. This is my first truck I am trying to tow with, that's why I got the V6. I was hoping to tow a small light toy hauler with my Raider inside so I can take her across the country, especially in the Smokey Mountains as I go every winter. I have a Uhaul motorcycle trailer rented for the 12 days I'll be there in October so we will see how it works.
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2021, 09:29:18 am by FireNative »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2021, 09:25:25 am »
      Coldfinger thanks so much for the info. This is my truck I am trying to tow with, that's why I got the V6. I was hoping to tow a small light toy hauler with my Raider inside so I can take her across the country, especially in the Smokey Mountains as I go every winter. I have a Uhaul motorcycle trailer rented for the 12 days I'll be there in October so we will see how it works.
      You can spend a lot of nights in a campground or motel for the cost of a toy hauler that'll spend more time sitting than being pulled.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2021, 09:31:33 am »
      Yeah but I like taking my motorcycle to ride in different places across the country, but I also like having the storage of my Truck. That's why a Truck, Toy Hauler, and motorcycle. That way I can have the storage of my truck, my motorcycle to ride, and a Toy Hauler/RV to sleep anywhere I want or cheap at RV sites. But thanks for the info.

toy

• Roadliner
      « Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2021, 10:32:20 am »
      the new canyon will tow 5k just fine. fuel is gonna suck. Diesel option would suit consistent towing better... Im assuming your going bumper hitch not 5th wheel?
      If so, your going to want 2 things.
      1) load distro hitch. Its not the weight thats the problem its the air and size of the load that gives it leverage over what is a relatively light weight truck.
      2) air bag helper springs. Dont know your specific config, but it will help alot if you can level out and not leave the trailer completely sprung on your stock springs. these are relatively cheap and worth every penny.

you said youve never had a truck for towing.. so question, did your canyon come with a tow package, specifically a brake controller? your gonna want trailer brakes if your towing mountain with that small a truck and that size camper.
      American citizens authorize the govt, not the other way around.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2021, 10:54:39 am »
      Yeah but I like taking my motorcycle to ride in different places across the country, but I also like having the storage of my Truck. That's why a Truck, Toy Hauler, and motorcycle. That way I can have the storage of my truck, my motorcycle to ride, and a Toy Hauler/RV to sleep anywhere I want or cheap at RV sites. But thanks for the info.
      I just did a random search for rates at KOA campgrounds - $65 to $80 per night then add in fuel - you can stay at Motel 6 for less.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2021, 11:57:28 am »
      the new canyon will tow 5k just fine. fuel is gonna suck. Diesel option would suit consistent towing better... Im assuming your going bumper hitch not 5th wheel?
      If so, your going to want 2 things.
      1) load distro hitch. Its not the weight thats the problem its the air and size of the load that gives it leverage over what is a relatively light weight truck.
      2) air bag helper springs. Dont know your specific config, but it will help alot if you can level out and not leave the trailer completely sprung on your stock springs. these are relatively cheap and worth every penny.

you said youve never had a truck for towing.. so question, did your canyon come with a tow package, specifically a brake controller? your gonna want trailer brakes if your towing mountain with that small a truck and that size camper.

Thanks for the info Toy. I am looking at a weight distribution hitch, sway bars, and air bag springs. I am doing my research on bumper and 5th wheel towing to see which is best for my truck. Yes my truck came with a trailering package with trailer brake controls. It came with 2 sliders to adjust front and rear braking? So I will watch a few youtube vids to see how to use it. But my guess is more braking power can be "taken" from the front to add to the rear braking and vise visa in different situations? Thanks again for the info.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2021, 11:59:01 am »
      I just did a random search for rates at KOA campgrounds - $65 to $80 per night then add in fuel - you can stay at Motel 6 for less.

ROADKILL camp grounds I have seen are usually $25-$50 per night and I like the idea of being able to camp virtually anywhere I want and bring my motorcycle. But thanks for the info.

GaGator

• Roadliner
      « Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2021, 12:20:01 pm »
      I sold my Ram 1500 & 19 1/2 Stratos. Downsized to a Ford Ranger(7500 tow) and noticed the towing was major difference. Sold the Stratos and bought a 17' Tracker(1000 empty) and the tow is great.
      I would not recommend a toy hauler loaded using a V6 especially in the mountains. Maybe a truck cap to sleep in and a 10' open trailer? My $.02.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2021, 02:42:47 pm »
      Thanks for the info and suggestions GaGator. I am doing my research and taking in all info. 😎👍

V6 in the mountains AND its a 2WD😎👌

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2021, 03:44:36 pm »
      Thanks for the info and suggestions GaGator. I am doing my research and taking in all info. 😎👍

V6 in the mountains AND its a 2WD😎👌
      you really need a bigger truck for a toy hauler,  but I love my Canyon but I know it's not going to pull a 15 to 20' toy hauler
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires