Author Topic: Lightest Toy Hauler recommendations  (Read 701 times)

FireNative

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Lightest Toy Hauler recommendations
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2021, 05:49:06 pm »
Thanks for the info 😎✌

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

FireNative

• Road Star
    « Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2021, 07:52:11 pm »
    2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L, V6, 2WD, 306 hp, 275 torque, crew cab, 5' bed with 7000ibs max towing and 700ib tongue rating towing a 23' toy hauler 5000ibs loaded with 750ib Yamaha Raider S in the mountains......we will see😎👍. Thanks everyone for all the info and suggestions. No make and models from other 5000ibs loaded or less Toy Haulers you guys know of besides the ones I listed?

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2021, 08:37:25 pm »
    2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L, V6, 2WD, 306 hp, 275 torque, crew cab, 5' bed with 7000ibs max towing and 700ib tongue rating towing a 23' toy hauler 5000ibs loaded with 750ib Yamaha Raider S in the mountains......we will see😎👍. Thanks everyone for all the info and suggestions. No make and models from other 5000ibs loaded or less Toy Haulers you guys know of besides the ones I listed?
    If you know someone with a 12 ft enclosed trailer see if they will let you pull it on some test runs to see how the truck handles it on the highway.

• Advertisement

sscottab

• Road Star
      « Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2021, 05:24:04 am »
      i have a gray wulf limited 28ft toy hauler i also have a 08 f150 with max toy and have taken the bikes on multipul trips. a couple things i have learned when towing , look at the speed rating of your tires on the rv they are usually not as high as your truck, when towing on the highway iam usually only doing 65. i dont usually run with water in my tank unless iam going to be boondocking. remember all personal belongings also add weight. when loading chock wheels and raise the front of the rv all the way up to give a better angle loading the bike raiders sit low and will catch the diamond plate on the floor and dont ask how i know. also look into 10 ply tires for your truck and run at 60 psi when towing and 50 when not you will notice a differance. i do use a weight distrubution hitch and anti sway kit. also if you do not have tow mirrors on your truck you can get them they just slip on over the mirrors and allows you to see the traffic and rear of the rv better and with them you can monitor the sway of the trailer. when tieing the bike down get a good wheel chock and straps and stop occasionly and check the bike the straps will losen occasionally. also on facebook there is a group for newbe rv owners and they are very helkpfull mostly you get the assholes just like all sites have these days. reach out to me if you have any questions.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2021, 06:16:52 am »

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2021, 08:02:37 am »
      If you know someone with a 12 ft enclosed trailer see if they will let you pull it on some test runs to see how the truck handles it on the highway.

Thanks ROADKILL I will definitely try to get my hands on a few different enclosed trailers and try pulling them in the Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart parking lot to get some practice.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2021, 08:33:30 am »
      i have a gray wulf limited 28ft toy hauler i also have a 08 f150 with max toy and have taken the bikes on multipul trips. a couple things i have learned when towing , look at the speed rating of your tires on the rv they are usually not as high as your truck, when towing on the highway iam usually only doing 65. i dont usually run with water in my tank unless iam going to be boondocking. remember all personal belongings also add weight. when loading chock wheels and raise the front of the rv all the way up to give a better angle loading the bike raiders sit low and will catch the diamond plate on the floor and dont ask how i know. also look into 10 ply tires for your truck and run at 60 psi when towing and 50 when not you will notice a differance. i do use a weight distrubution hitch and anti sway kit. also if you do not have tow mirrors on your truck you can get them they just slip on over the mirrors and allows you to see the traffic and rear of the rv better and with them you can monitor the sway of the trailer. when tieing the bike down get a good wheel chock and straps and stop occasionly and check the bike the straps will losen occasionally. also on facebook there is a group for newbe rv owners and they are very helkpfull mostly you get the assholes just like all sites have these days. reach out to me if you have any questions.

THANKS SO MUCH sscottab for all the info. I am a first time tower I have owned 3 small trucks and a small SUV so I went with the V6 Canyon hoping to pull a small light toy hauler and bring my Raider across the country. We will see if it works even with only 2WD.
      1) haul with no water in tanks
      2) use a weight station to confirm actual loaded weight of trailer and vehicle
      3) weight distribution hitch with sway bars and air bags wouldn't hurt
      4) confirm trailer tires speed rating
      5) get slip on trailering mirrors
      6) 10 ply tires
      7) 60psi towing, 50psi not towing
      8) have front jacks all the way up when loading motorcycle to make it easier to load
      9) wheel chocks and straps for bike and check every few hundred miles
      10) I don't use social media so message sscottab direct with questions

Thanks so much for all the info. The first thing I will tow is a Uhaul motorcycle trailer from Oct 9-22 bring it 12hrs on the interstate from south Louisiana to Kodak, (20mins north of Pigeon Forge) TN. I will then pull it south through the mountains to Bryson City, NC, then to Lake Winfield Scott recreation park then home so we will see how that goes. But I am hoping to get into the market next year to buy a 18', 5000ibs loaded toy hauler and pull it the same route so thanks again.