Author Topic: Drag bar question  (Read 404 times)

Raiderftw

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Drag bar question
« on: Dec 16, 2021, 11:46:55 am »
So just talked with my local bike mechanic. He left me with some questions about doing the swap from stock to drag bars...

First of all does anyone know if I would need to extend any cables if I went with about the same riser height and drag bars?

Secondly, he told me that he's not a fan because it makes the front end steering feel heavy.

Now I really enjoy turning in the curves with my bike, do it really affect the feel of handling on the raider?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Raven

• Warrior
    Re: Drag bar question
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2021, 12:05:50 pm »
    Do you have a set to put on? If not good luck finding any as they're not made for the Raider anymore. I've been trying to find a set for my new Raider I just bought without any luck. I've scoured the planet with none to be found. I do however have a set on the way made for Victory that apparently have the same spacing as ours so will report back when they arrive. As far as handling I loved my t bars on my previous Raider and had no issues carving the twisties. If you go with stock pull back and rise there's no need to change cables....

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2021, 12:10:08 pm »
    I have the LA Choppers Radius T-Bar (6.5" pullback) and I absolutely love them.  On my first Raider they weren't an issue and no changes to cables needed. For the 3rd Raider the dealer had to reroute the cables because otherwise they were too tight. At first it bugged me, but now I don't even think about it.  I did not need new cables.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2021, 12:10:47 pm »
      Do you have a set to put on? If not good luck finding any as they're not made for the Raider anymore. I've been trying to find a set for my new Raider I just bought without any luck. I've scoured the planet with none to be found. I do however have a set on the way made for Victory that apparently have the same spacing as ours so will report back when they arrive. As far as handling I loved my t bars on my previous Raider and had no issues carving the twisties. If you go with stock pull back and rise there's no need to change cables....

This will be awesome if it works.  GOOD LUCK!!! and post up pics once/if you get them installed.

Raiderftw

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2021, 02:53:04 pm »
      No I don't have any but he said he has a book of custom bars that we could pick from that should fit my ride with custom risers. He was trying to sway me onto the shape of super bike bars but those are too cafe racerlooking for me.

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2021, 03:34:07 pm »
      As far as affecting the handling  not at all I have 8" rise and 9" pull back but yes I did have to change the lines and cables
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2021, 04:34:02 pm »
      Had stock bars on my last Raider and thought it handled nicely.  The bike I bought from Rick has mini apes on it and it feels much lighter. 
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2021, 01:51:41 pm »
      No issues carving it up for me either.  I didn't change any cables, but like Ares X, I re-routed them, and put an extension on the triple tree mount.

I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2021, 04:28:12 pm »
      I have the 9" pullback bars and have no issues with the handling at all.

As I no longer have to reach, its better for me.

I did have to get longer throttle cables and brake lines though which makes the job a more expensive one, but it was worth it for me.

It won't effect any handling so don't let anyone tell you otherwise
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2021, 07:53:30 am »
      I installed Flander's 35 degree dragbars on mine 4 or 5 years ago. They have no rise, true dragbars. I mounted them on the OEM risers and did not need additional wiring, just pulled some extra out from under tank. I did however put the hydraulic lines(clutch and front brake) behind the triple tree. No heavy steering on mine, I like the Flander's way better than OEM's handling and comfort. I believe the total pullback is between 10"-14". Love em! 8)