Author Topic: Sounds like a BOV when you let off the throttle  (Read 257 times)

Cerino2000

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Sounds like a BOV when you let off the throttle
« on: Dec 23, 2021, 10:30:45 pm »
Got a new to me 2010. Took it for my first real ride today and I swear it sounds like a blow off valve when I let off the gas! Granted, the bike runs great and I understand Iím going from a load to closing the throttle plate in a quick second but is this normal on these bikes? My warriors from days gone by never had this sound but maybe thatís the way these raiders are? Any one that can confirm or deny that itís normal?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

the urban legend

• Raider
    Re: Sounds like a BOV when you let off the throttle
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2021, 01:39:01 pm »
    Do you have the stock air cleaner, or do you have a BAK or something similar? The stock air box is pretty quiet, but the others will make noticeable "inspiration" noises.
    I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

toy

• Roadliner
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2021, 03:03:09 pm »
    mine sounds like a semi jake brake. Im not sure I would be able to hear intake while engine braking. lol
    American citizens authorize the govt, not the other way around.

• Advertisement

Cerino2000

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2021, 07:47:56 pm »
      mine sounds like a semi jake brake. Im not sure I would be able to hear intake while engine braking. lol

Itís literally the instant you let off the throttle. Not quite during deaccelleration. Iíve seen a few threads talking about the belt making noise. I could possibly see a connection since going from belt tension to no tension at that moment. The belt did need to be adjusted which I did today. Weíll see if it has any effect on it when I get to take it for a ride tomorrow. Iíll report back.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2021, 08:54:21 am »

Itís literally the instant you let off the throttle. Not quite during deaccelleration. Iíve seen a few threads talking about the belt making noise. I could possibly see a connection since going from belt tension to no tension at that moment. The belt did need to be adjusted which I did today. Weíll see if it has any effect on it when I get to take it for a ride tomorrow. Iíll report back.
      The belt makes a chirping sound - what exhaust do you have?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2021, 09:15:16 am »
      If it's belt noise, you can rub a little bar soap on it to make it stop chirping. It's not a permanent fix, but it will let you know if that's what you need to address or not.

Cerino2000

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2021, 02:00:29 pm »
      Amazingly enoughÖit was the belt! Took it out for a while today after I tightened the belt up yesterday and lo and beholdÖthe BOV sound is now gone. Wasnít expecting that but itís certainly a win. Thx all.

Cerino2000

• V Star
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2021, 02:05:13 pm »
      On a side noteÖafter decades of working on stuff, I finally actually found a solid use for a crows foot! Right side axle adjusting nuts were impossible to get to with the exhaust in place. Crows foot did the job.
      « Last Edit: Dec 25, 2021, 10:34:44 pm by Cerino2000 »