Author Topic: Fuel gauge not working  (Read 2301 times)

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel gauge not working
« on: Jan 01, 2022, 05:15:38 pm »
I had this issue once before when the bike was a year old, but it was the sending unit that was bad. Today I was out on a ride with a friend. We stopped for gas after lunch, and after I filled the tank, started the bike and began leaving the station the gas gauge yellow light went on and the needle went to zero. At first I thought it might be the float stuck inside the tank, but after rocking the bike back and forth several times while riding, nothing changed. I rode the bike 100 miles to the lunch destination, and only after filling the tank was there a problem.

The time when the sending unit crapped out, along with the needle at zero, the fuel light on, also the warning light was flashing. The flashing light didn't happen this time. Does anyone have a clue what would cause this? Could it be the wiring or a fuse?
Help! My 30 year old mind is trapped in a 78 year old body.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    Re: Fuel gauge not working
    « Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2022, 09:44:11 am »
    I had this issue once before when the bike was a year old, but it was the sending unit that was bad. Today I was out on a ride with a friend. We stopped for gas after lunch, and after I filled the tank, started the bike and began leaving the station the gas gauge yellow light went on and the needle went to zero. At first I thought it might be the float stuck inside the tank, but after rocking the bike back and forth several times while riding, nothing changed. I rode the bike 100 miles to the lunch destination, and only after filling the tank was there a problem.

The time when the sending unit crapped out, along with the needle at zero, the fuel light on, also the warning light was flashing. The flashing light didn't happen this time. Does anyone have a clue what would cause this? Could it be the wiring or a fuse?
    The float only works for the first half of the tank - the second half works off the ECU - sounds like the sending unit has gone bad again even if it has different symptoms.

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Roadliner
    « Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2022, 04:40:46 pm »
    Thanks. Going to have to keep eye on this. Turned key on today and yellow gas light came on and went off like it's supposed to. I'm wondering if this was just temporary. Going to have to take it for a little ride and see if gauge still not working. It would be great if this only temporary puke of the gauge.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2022, 06:44:58 pm »
      I was thinking the sending unit became an issue when you dropped to around 1/4 of a tank, but when it was full it was fine. Or am I remembering it backwards?

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2022, 07:03:28 pm »
      Thanks. Going to have to keep eye on this. Turned key on today and yellow gas light came on and went off like it's supposed to. I'm wondering if this was just temporary. Going to have to take it for a little ride and see if gauge still not working. It would be great if this only temporary puke of the gauge.
      When this happened this last time could there be a chance that you turned the key on and started the bike before the gauges cycles? I know the speedo and gas gauge will act weird if you do that..................don't ask me how I know..............OKAY I DID IT..........ok back to normal.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2022, 09:15:15 pm »
      When this happened this last time could there be a chance that you turned the key on and started the bike before the gauges cycles? I know the speedo and gas gauge will act weird if you do that..................don't ask me how I know..............OKAY I DID IT..........ok back to normal.

This is true.

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:22:31 am »
      I usually wait until gauges cycle, but I couild have just hit the start button too quickly. I just have to take it for a short ride to be sure if it's working or not. Will report as soon as I get out with it to check. It would be nice if I don't have to mess with it further.

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:27:44 am »
      I was thinking the sending unit became an issue when you dropped to around 1/4 of a tank, but when it was full it was fine. Or am I remembering it backwards?
      You have a good memory. It was going from full to half full, then dropping to zero, warning light would come on and the low fuel flasher too. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. I was at least 15 miles from nearest gas station, and was due to meet some people out in the middle of nowhere, Ocala Forest, Florida.

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2022, 09:38:51 am »
      Well I didn't take it for a ride, but I wheeled it out of the garage and started it, but fuel gauge needle still on zero. Looks like I'm back to square one. I have no way of knowing whether the fuel sender is bad. Does anyone know how to check it, and where is it located?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:10:55 am »
      I could be wrong, but I thought it was located inside the tank. I didn't actually do the replacement of mine when it went bad because it was covered by the dealer.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:44:44 am »
      Well I didn't take it for a ride, but I wheeled it out of the garage and started it, but fuel gauge needle still on zero. Looks like I'm back to square one. I have no way of knowing whether the fuel sender is bad. Does anyone know how to check it, and where is it located?
      I swapped out batteries one time and when I started the bike the gauge didn't register until I moved the bike the same way it does after filling it up.

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2022, 11:08:56 am »
      I could be wrong, but I thought it was located inside the tank. I didn't actually do the replacement of mine when it went bad because it was covered by the dealer.
      it is in the tank on the rt side, pull the tank and its held in with 2 8mm headed fasteners  easy to do but watch the way you pull it out and the float orientation
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:09:11 pm »
      it is in the tank on the rt side, pull the tank and its held in with 2 8mm headed fasteners  easy to do but watch the way you pull it out and the float orientation
      Is there a way I can diagnose if the unit is bad or not before I order one?

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:33:58 pm »
      if the fuel light is flashing then quits and starts back flashing its bad
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2022, 07:24:04 am »
      if the fuel light is flashing then quits and starts back flashing its bad
      That is what happened the first time in 2012, and it was the fuel sender. this time there is no flashing. Only needle on zero when tank is full, and yellow gas pump light was on before, but now is not. Could it be a fuse or bad wiring?