Author Topic: WARNING TO COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!  (Read 58903 times)

silverstreak

WARNING TO COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:56:12 pm »
HEED THIS WARNING

last night i ran through a rain storm and this morning went to ride the bike, well i started to notice at a steady throttle it would miss or sputter just a bit, not normal never happened before. i got home and looked at the tuner, noticed it was moist and pulled it off the velcro tipped it on its side and dirty brown water poured out, not dripped but poured.

SEAL YOUR POWER PRO!!!   im letting mine dry out and may contact cobra or biker trends to see what we can do about it if in fact it is damaged. im still going to contact cobra and let them know they need to seal it or warn that it needs to be sealed.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2012, 02:24:05 am by TOXIC »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

silverstreak

COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:59:59 pm »
    after looking some more it appears to have been soaked by its placement in proximity to the rear tire and spray got to it. you can see its nasty dirty water

silverstreak

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »
    so i put the unit in a box and put a heat gun onto the other side of the box to dry things out on low of course and not direct onto the unit, well the heat managed to make things loose and i was able to pop the unit open, this is what i found.

look towards the top and you can see the corrosion that occurred.  unit seems to work fine and will test real quick. im not worried if the MFG says that i took it apart and voided warranty, lesson learned. i will however slap it in a ziplock and such. if it is bad and cant get another via warranty, ill still buy another cause damn this thing kicks ass!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:22:13 pm by TOXIC »

• Advertisement

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      Re: COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!
      « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 05:24:07 pm »
      Randy
      Thanks for the tip. I'll put mine in a plastic bag for added protection, and may look to seal the gap where the water got sprayed up from the rear wheel.
      Glad your's still works though.
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Hunterman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:29:42 pm »
      Toxic can you please take a picture of the other side of the board. I would like to see what it looks like.

strike 3

• Pro-Street Raider ......SMOKK'D.......
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:41:55 pm »
      Being that you have a year warranty and that you have pics....Id say that you should be protected.  If you feel the card might have a shortened life from the water.....  Im sure they would stand behind that and replace it.  Thats wild about the water (amount) and with it being brown tells me that it has been in there for a while, so Im wondering....how long.  Good idea on baggy and with that you should be good to go.  Id say give them a call and let them know whats up.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:57:18 pm by strike 3 »

Dec. 2011

2013 Yamaha Star Motorcycle "Calendar Bike"

Video of Bike...
      http://youtu.be/9AChRZqGwx0

jhow2133

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:53:22 pm »
      Thanks for letting us know.  I am doing mine this week with my BAK so I will be sure to seal it.
      I have big plans...

budaman

• Raider
      • Referrals: 10
      « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »
      Yes let us know what Cobra says about the moisure getting inside the unit
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:02 pm »
      What about heat if you put it in a bag?
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

silverstreak

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:28 pm »
      bottom half

took it for a test run and damn still has the power  as before and no missing or sputtering when it was wet.

silverstreak

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:08:57 pm »
      Being that you have a year warranty and that you have pics....Id say that you should be protected.  If you feel the card might have a shortened life from the water.....  Im sure they would stand behind that and replace it.  Thats wild about the water (amount) and with it being brown tells me that it has been in there for a while, so Im wondering....how long.  Good idea on baggy and with that you should be good to go.  Id say give them a call and let them know whats up.

it was road spray from last night, up to last night the bike has not seen water since the addition of the power pro.

strike 3

• Warrior
      « Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:46 pm »
      bottom half

took it for a test run and damn still has the power  as before and no missing or sputtering when it was wet.

Yes that lid tells me that water has been sitting there for a while.  That is wild knowing how tight that seal is.  Interesting.

Dec. 2011

Video of Bike...

silverstreak

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »
      What about heat if you put it in a bag?
      the circuitry is very minimal and there is no heat, ive touched it after a good ride and it was just warm from ambient heat.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:11:53 pm by TOXIC »

silverstreak

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 06:11:23 pm »
      bottom half

Yes that lid tells me that water has been sitting there for a while.  That is wild knowing how tight that seal is.  Interesting.

there is no seal at all, just 2 halves of the cover snapped together no silicone no glue nothing for protection.

strike 3

• Warrior
      « Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:12:07 pm »

it was road spray from last night, up to last night the bike has not seen water since the addition of the power pro.

Gotcha

Dec. 2011

Video of Bike...