Author Topic: WARNING TO COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!  (Read 56383 times)

silverstreak

COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »
When I look at it tomorrow, I will post what I find. I know the case snaps tight, but when you consider it was being drench with water coming off the tire and the positive pressure of air from the speed of traveling forward, water getting into the case is possible. Lets get this fixed and get back to riding.

the spray from the rear tire was wicking through the seam and pooling into the unit. there is no direct water impact or pressure its just the fact that the units seam is not sealed allowing water to wick. that is all it was, no need to overthink it. and up here its fairly dry ad i doubt that condensation will build up at all here. it can and does happen with larger bags but ill stick with the ziplock.  :)

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

strike 3

• Pro-Street Raider ......SMOKK'D.......
    • Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
    Re: COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!
    « Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:25 am »
    When I look at it tomorrow, I will post what I find. I know the case snaps tight, but when you consider it was being drench with water coming off the tire and the positive pressure of air from the speed of traveling forward, water getting into the case is possible. Lets get this fixed and get back to riding.

the spray from the rear tire was wicking through the seam and pooling into the unit. there is no direct water impact or pressure its just the fact that the units seam is not sealed allowing water to wick. that is all it was, no need to overthink it. and up here its fairly dry ad i doubt that condensation will build up at all here. it can and does happen with larger bags but ill stick with the ziplock.  :)

Talked to Phil this morning..... he said it could potentially happen and that if its in a place where it is picking up water of course you could put in a small baggy, but put some holes in it so it can breath.  He also said that they are pretty durable units and if you did let dry you will be fine.  So for folks that are concerned check yours out and for the most part youre prolly fine...but if not theres the fix. 

Dec. 2011

2013 Yamaha Star Motorcycle "Calendar Bike"

Video of Bike...
    http://youtu.be/9AChRZqGwx0

basco05

• AG 05
    • Warrior
    « Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 11:07:53 am »

Talked to Phil this morning..... he said it could potentially happen and that if its in a place where it is picking up water of course you could put in a small baggy, but put some holes in it so it can breath.  He also said that they are pretty durable units and if you did let dry you will be fine.  So for folks that are concerned check yours out and for the most part youre prolly fine...but if not theres the fix. 

Sweet.  Thanks Strike :thumbs:

I think I'll put it in a ziplock, but instead of poking holes I will probably just put a straw or something in the opening to act as a "snorkel".  That way I can "seal" the rest, cause I don't really see the point in putting it in a bag and then poking holes in the bag...
    There is no replacement for displacement

• Advertisement

silverstreak

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:33 am »
      strike,

is phil the owner of cobra? and thanks for making the call, i did notice that there wasnt much delicate circuitry to get damaged and so far the unit it working fine.

will he do something to notify current owners and future owners to the issue? what about any that have gotten wet?

jhow2133

• Raider
      « Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 11:11:03 am »
      I like basco's straw idea.  Might add some of those silica dessicant packets for peace of mind.
      I have big plans...

Votion

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 11:11:45 am »
      Just saw this thread.  I had to take my safety course in the rain, got rained on for about 8 hrs straight and didnt have that problem.  I have mine mounted directly on top of the battery and have never had it get wet.
      Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

silverstreak

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 11:15:57 am »
      Just saw this thread.  I had to take my safety course in the rain, got rained on for about 8 hrs straight and didnt have that problem.  I have mine mounted directly on top of the battery and have never had it get wet.

placement has a bit to do with it, mine was on the flat spot of the ECU towards the left and i was doing 80 for 40 miles in the rain. 

i would still put it in something.

silverstreak

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 11:17:19 am »
      I like basco's straw idea.  Might add some of those silica dessicant packets for peace of mind.
      the silica will work perfectly to keep it sealed and very dry!

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 11:21:15 am »
      I am gonna forget the bag and go with Hunterman's idea of the sealant from Jamesco Electronics. The part number is 19-155.  I have already ordered it.  $14.95 after adding tax and processing fee, not sure what that's all about but I just want a cleaner look then my tuner in a plastic bag.

ding3k

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 11:23:33 am »
      They should really have it sealed to some degree. If there are electronic parts, it should be protected from water. What would happen if you wash your bike and it gets wet. These are supposed to be made for outdoor use and can get wet. Other companies can do it, why can't cobra? I know of GPS units being weather resistant, and they make tons of otterboxes for cell phones and other gadgets. Cobra either needs to seal their device or convince otterbox or something similar to create a nice looking seal for it.

I still love the reviews of the Cobra and will buy either way. I am not a fan of having to have an ugly sandwich bag around something important to my bike.

strike 3

• Warrior
      « Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 12:53:53 pm »
      strike,

is phil the owner of cobra? and thanks for making the call, i did notice that there wasnt much delicate circuitry to get damaged and so far the unit it working fine.

will he do something to notify current owners and future owners to the issue? what about any that have gotten wet?

Toxic....

First of all..youre welcome!  Now.... the way he talks he hasnt gotten any calls before with this being an issue and thats even back since the original manual tuners.  He said that it wouldnt hurt to bag it for extra security (with holes).  I told him you put a dryer on it...he said that was fine, and the same thing.... the circuitry wasnt that delicate.  At this point.... I wont bag mine...it dont see alot of water and when or if it does...its me "strategically" hosing off certain areas.  Phil is not the owner.....  Hes a tuner for Cobra.

Dec. 2011

Video of Bike...

silverstreak

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 01:00:58 pm »
      ahh ok, yeah i think placement will be good too, i got a lot of wires under the seat so the only spot was on the ecu. i did stick it in a ziplock and ziptied it so im good now. i dont think i will have further latent issues but if i do ill see about warranty if it happens. if i have voided warranty with opening it, ill just buy another as they rock!

CHROMINATOR

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 01:21:00 pm »
      Just got off the phone with Phil and asked him about the option of using the electronic sealant as mentioned in an earlier post and he said that was perfectly fine.  Phil also reiterated that placement of the tuner can play a major role in protecting the unit from the elements as we have already heard of from another brother that placed his above the battery and has had zero issues driving through the rain.  He also said to let you guys know that he is working very close with the engineers on the future of the tuner and a new board that will give the operator more options.  Can't for the life of me think of anything that I could do that would enhance what the unit is already doing by itself, but then that's why he works there and I don't...  ;D

strike 3

• Warrior
      « Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 01:33:30 pm »
      Just got off the phone with Phil and asked him about the option of using the electronic sealant as mentioned in an earlier post and he said that was perfectly fine.  Phil also reiterated that placement of the tuner can play a major role in protecting the unit from the elements as we have already heard of from another brother that placed his above the battery and has had zero issues driving through the rain.  He also said to let you guys know that he is working very close with the engineers on the future of the tuner and a new board that will give the operator more options.  Can't for the life of me think of anything that I could do that would enhance what the unit is already doing by itself, but then that's why he works there and I don't...  ;D

BILL!!!!   SSshhhhhhh!!!  8)

Dec. 2011

Video of Bike...

CHROMINATOR

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 01:37:09 pm »

BILL!!!!   SSshhhhhhh!!!  8)

But he said to tell them...  :rotfl:  I didn't know you wanted to keep it a secret...  ;D