Author Topic: WARNING TO COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!  (Read 56966 times)

strike 3

• Pro-Street Raider ......SMOKK'D.......
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Re: COBRA POWER PRO OWNERS!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »
Just got off the phone with Phil and asked him about the option of using the electronic sealant as mentioned in an earlier post and he said that was perfectly fine.  Phil also reiterated that placement of the tuner can play a major role in protecting the unit from the elements as we have already heard of from another brother that placed his above the battery and has had zero issues driving through the rain.  He also said to let you guys know that he is working very close with the engineers on the future of the tuner and a new board that will give the operator more options.  Can't for the life of me think of anything that I could do that would enhance what the unit is already doing by itself, but then that's why he works there and I don't...  ;D

BILL!!!!   SSshhhhhhh!!!  8)

But he said to tell them...  :rotfl:  I didn't know you wanted to keep it a secret...  ;D

Nah.... youre fine...just poking a lil fun at ya!

Dec. 2011

2013 Yamaha Star Motorcycle "Calendar Bike"

Video of Bike...
http://youtu.be/9AChRZqGwx0

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

AlBaron

• Road Star
    « Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 02:53:27 pm »
    Hah?
    I just placed the order with bikertrends, and now you're saying that the new version is coming soon?
    Will I be able to update my board?

Baron

strike 3

• Pro-Street Raider ......SMOKK'D.......
    • Warrior
    « Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 03:05:28 pm »
    Hah?
    I just placed the order with bikertrends, and now you're saying that the new version is coming soon?
    Will I be able to update my board?

Baron

Al....

Actually youre fine.  They have two versions that are currently out.  They are testing the same unit, but with a couple options. If you dont like fiddling with your tuner....you got the bang for the buck! With other folks that like to "tinker" this is something they are looking in to.  In fact...it hasnt even been considered.....just testing.

Dec. 2011

2013 Yamaha Star Motorcycle "Calendar Bike"

Video of Bike...
    http://youtu.be/9AChRZqGwx0

• Advertisement

Hunterman

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 04:40:33 pm »
      Ok guys, this only took 5mins to seal up and put back in place. The pictures are attached. I checked to see if there were any seams in the cover needing to be sealed and there were none. Just the outer edge and around the strain relief needed the sealant.

LongDrive352

• SEA-ROAR
      • Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 07:32:51 pm »
      Thanks for the pics Hunterman.  Looking forward to getting my hands on a PowerPro. 
      2014 SCL #482

Previous bike:

2009 Liquid Silver Raider

2/26/2011  --  Picked up my liquid silver Raider.  What a rush ! 

10/2018  Upgraded to a 2014 SCL - LOVE it !

AlBaron

• Road Star
      « Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 09:18:53 pm »

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 09:57:29 pm »
      HEED THIS WARNING

last night i ran through a rain storm and this morning went to ride the bike, well i started to notice at a steady throttle it would miss or sputter just a bit, not normal never happened before. i got home and looked at the tuner, noticed it was moist and pulled it off the velcro tipped it on its side and dirty brown water poured out, not dripped but poured.

SEAL YOUR POWER PRO!!!   im letting mine dry out and may contact cobra or biker trends to see what we can do about it if in fact it is damaged. im still going to contact cobra and let them know they need to seal it or warn that it needs to be sealed.

Stick your power pro in a sealed tupperwear bowl half filled with rice.  thats the standard first attempted solution for any electronics that get wet now days.  Not a good sign if the water is brown.  Might mean one of your resistors popped and melted because of the water.  I'd open it up if you can without voiding the warrenty to check it before riding with it again.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 10:20:08 pm »
      What about this sealant (looks to be 50% cheaper) than the first one:

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Electronic-Grade-Silicone-Squeeze/dp/B0063U2RT8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1336443309&sr=1-2

Before tax and shipping but would still be less then the $14.95 I paid.

silverstreak

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 10:23:34 pm »
      HEED THIS WARNING

last night i ran through a rain storm and this morning went to ride the bike, well i started to notice at a steady throttle it would miss or sputter just a bit, not normal never happened before. i got home and looked at the tuner, noticed it was moist and pulled it off the velcro tipped it on its side and dirty brown water poured out, not dripped but poured.

SEAL YOUR POWER PRO!!!   im letting mine dry out and may contact cobra or biker trends to see what we can do about it if in fact it is damaged. im still going to contact cobra and let them know they need to seal it or warn that it needs to be sealed.

Stick your power pro in a sealed tupperwear bowl half filled with rice.  thats the standard first attempted solution for any electronics that get wet now days.  Not a good sign if the water is brown.  Might mean one of your resistors popped and melted because of the water.  I'd open it up if you can without voiding the warrenty to check it before riding with it again.

everything checked out ok, the water was brown due to the road grime mixed with the water. all the pots, caps, chips looked fine. Just a bit of corrosion on the bottom side as it didnt have a clear coat on it. the top side had a clear coat so nothing was funky there. it now sits in a ziplok bag ziptied and works fine (for now).  :)

silverstreak

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 06:20:13 pm »
      so long term post damage testing, i have found that i still get a very slight miss under steady throttle and a subtle surge here and there, barely noticeable, also smells a touch rich then before. I did fill up at same gas station and topped of like i always do and the mileage has dropped from the usual 35/40 down to 29ish this was the biggest signal there is something not right. .

I called cobra directly and spoke with brad cus service rep, he was great to work with and more than likely will replace the unit under warranty. I STILL WANT ONE!!   i will update with what goes on next, They said Phil will more than likely get hold of me and we will hash stuff out.  So far good customer service and look forward to resolving. I will be sealing the next one no matter what. The bike is rideable but the unit is damaged ever so slightly causing the poor mileage and the slight miss under steady throttle.

silverstreak

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 06:48:32 pm »
      all i can say is WOW!!!

Just got off the phone with Phil, What a great guy to talk to!  He asked a few questions on details of what i was and am experiencing with the damage etc etc..  he is shipping me a new board and case that i just plug into the existing wire with the old unit. He did say that with the corrosion that occured that will cause some problems, but its no issue to replace.

For anyone thinking of getting the power pro, DO IT! Its been a long time since i have had such great customer service!!!

Thanks Phil and COBRA! you have a life long customer now!

Tail dragger

• Raider
      « Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 07:46:10 pm »
      That is great customer service.  Glad that it is working out for you.  And, I still want to update to the Power Pro.

budaman

• Raider
      • Referrals: 10
      « Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 10:47:29 pm »
      Glad it worked out for you Toxic and yes they do have great customer service.
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 11:34:21 pm »
      That's great news TOXIC, as I said Phil wants to hear from anyone with questions, problems, or concerns and will do all that he can to answer, resolve or put your mind at ease but you have to take the first step and call.  The hardest thing you will have to do is dial the numbers.  Just call Cobra and ask for Phil the rest will make your day...  ;D

silverstreak

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 11:42:44 pm »
      That's great news TOXIC, as I said Phil wants to hear from anyone with questions, problems, or concerns and will do all that he can to answer, resolve or put your mind at ease but you have to take the first step and call.  The hardest thing you will have to do is dial the numbers.  Just call Cobra and ask for Phil the rest will make your day...  ;D

yep, what he said.  I tried to call biker trends but they were closed being on east coast, so i called cobra direct and got it resolved in minutes.

Talking with Phil, the reason why they dont "seal" the unit is it is much easier for them to have you pull the board out and swap it with a new board in case yours has an issue, he sends the new board like next day or two day something like that. If they did seal it up, it would be a PITA to get apart, get the goop off the board then swap it out. They do dip the board in automotive epoxy but only to a certain point  (up the the connector) and its those soldered points on the back that dont get dipped and are really the only weak spot. He did say they have tested the unit in water and it worked fine, the bad part is, if you get water with minerals that starts to conduct electricity better than just water that is where the problem is.

For me, the product is great and there is a tradeoff of being able to fix it fast compared to not being able to fix it fast when sealed. Some will have negative stuff about it to say, so be it, but for me i will just seal it in a plastic bag and be good.

This product is awesome, there are some great things coming down the pipe (cant say anything about it) and the customer service is excellent.