Author Topic: Power Commander and Auto Tune Clearing up misinformation.  (Read 31196 times)

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Power Commander and Auto Tune Clearing up misinformation.
« Reply #30 on: Aug 16, 2014, 10:26:17 am »
If you like to tinker get a new or used single tune autotune to go along with your PCV.  That way you can tweak your maps since the autotune opens up other options on the PCV.  If you don't like to tinker don't bother with autotune.

As others have said though...If I didn't already have custom maps I'd spend my money on a flash and PCV and then look for a used autotune to tinker with things later.

There is zero need for a dual tune on the Raider since the cylinders only run about 3% different.  HDs run 10+ different hence the need for a dual tune.  That said you can do a dual tune at a dyno shop even if you have a single o2 sensor autotune.  You could even dual tune with the autotune yourself but you'd have to tune one cylinder then move the sensor to the other pipe to tune the second.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

High Pockets

• Houston Area Group
    • Warrior
    « Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2014, 03:06:21 pm »
    If you like to tinker get a new or used single tune autotune to go along with your PCV.  That way you can tweak your maps since the autotune opens up other options on the PCV.  If you don't like to tinker don't bother with autotune.

As others have said though...If I didn't already have custom maps I'd spend my money on a flash and PCV and then look for a used autotune to tinker with things later.

There is zero need for a dual tune on the Raider since the cylinders only run about 3% different.  HDs run 10+ different hence the need for a dual tune.  That said you can do a dual tune at a dyno shop even if you have a single o2 sensor autotune.  You could even dual tune with the autotune yourself but you'd have to tune one cylinder then move the sensor to the other pipe to tune the second.

So in your opinion the dual autotuner is a waste of money? But you would take the PCV over the Cobra?

NotaCoverBand

• "Lola" is her name...
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 07:29:39 am »
    Thanks for the great info here!  Purchased my efi upgrade today using this!

2014 Raider SCL  500 of 500.  Possibly the last one ever made

List of previous bikes:  2006 Yamaha Roadstar, 1980 Suzuki GS850 GL,  1982 Kawasaki 750.

• Advertisement

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 09:43:08 pm »

So in your opinion the dual autotuner is a waste of money? But you would take the PCV over the Cobra?

Dual dyno maps are awesome.  But considering that the jugs are only about 3% different it's probably unnecessary.  The only reason I have a dual jug tune is a shop gave it to me for free after scratching my fender in a dyno shootout.  Was there a noticeable difference between my map and their's in the butt dyno...yes but not much.  If you are very particular about your tune you'd notice...if you're not a tinkerer or gear head you probably wouldn't notice.  HP numbers were about whopping 1HP different than what I had created using the autotune.

Now if you are looking to build your own maps...
      Again the dual tune is unnecessary and likely very time consuming to get both maps right yourself.  So I wouldn't even bother.  Just my opinion.  Plus with a single o2 sensor you don't have to mess with drilling, tapping, and wiring the 2nd o2 sensor which could be a total PITA depending on your pipes.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 01:58:02 pm »
      I have not installed yet but you will have to replace the stock 02 sensor.  The PCV uses a larger 02 which requires a larger bung to be welded in place of the stock one.
      Just to be clear, the PCV does not use an O2 sensor.  It's the Autotune that uses one and it has an M18 x 1.5 thread.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 08:46:32 pm »
      I have not installed yet but you will have to replace the stock 02 sensor.  The PCV uses a larger 02 which requires a larger bung to be welded in place of the stock one.
      Just to be clear, the PCV does not use an O2 sensor.  It's the Autotune that uses one and it has an M18 x 1.5 thread.

Thanks for that.  The PCV can use your stock o2 sensor but it is not required with the o2 sensor eliminator in its place. the autotune on the other hand would require a wide band o2 sensor.  A dual tune setup using the autotune would require two wide band o2 sensors.   
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #36 on: Jun 01, 2015, 07:39:10 am »

Rereading it I meant to say the Auto Tune, not the PCV.

NotaCoverBand

• "Lola" is her name...
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #37 on: Jun 01, 2015, 10:43:36 am »
      Hmmm I ended up going with the Cobra Powerpro and found a used one from another member on the forum.  Not going to lie I'm little nervous as there seams to be a lot of negative reviews on it but should have it on tomorrow...

:raider:

List of previous bikes:  2006 Yamaha Roadstar, 1980 Suzuki GS850 GL,  1982 Kawasaki 750.

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #38 on: Jun 01, 2015, 11:25:05 am »
      Been using the Cobra PP for two years now, no problems.  O2 is disconnected.

Uber Dave

• Road Star
      « Reply #39 on: Jun 01, 2015, 11:31:49 am »
      I had one for my 2012 scl didn't like it it at all. Bike had decel popping which I could NOT get rid of. I then went out and bought a PCV and now the bike runs great.
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2015, 02:29:17 pm by Uber Dave »
      Uber Dave
      L

laecutter

• V Star
      « Reply #40 on: Jun 02, 2015, 01:05:36 pm »
      Hello from Texas. Purchased a 2013 SCL 500 of 500 new. Made the mods right after (air, exhaust, lowering, front suspension, and tire). Purchased a cobra auto power, installed per instructions. Bike ran like crap to the point of wanting to set it to the curb and get back on my mod. Sportster with 70K miles. Tried all the different things, call cobra which is like calling the IRS for help with a tax return. Tried a reg. tuner that I could adjust and it still ran like it was off 1-2 degrees on timing (wife says I’m anal when it comes to bikes and performance). Long story short I took a lot of everyone’s suggestion and called Ivan Performance in New York after about an 1 1/2 hours I sent him my ECU to be re-flashed best money spent period; finally got to ride the last few days and now it rides like it has a pair. Left the cobra tuner on it and will try Ivan’s tuner next week. Bottom line hear a lot of guys get the earlier mods to run great with an adj. tuner but later save yourself a lot of heart ache and just do the re-flash. Left the O2 un-plugged.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #41 on: Jun 02, 2015, 04:42:31 pm »
      good to flash fixed your issues man , and welcome to the forum also !
      crazy that the bike ran so bad with the PP , and usually the cobra tech guys are cool and easy to reach ... my pp has never gave me a issue , but I did have them send me a updated board to put in it .
      take the cover off yours and see if their is a little adjustable pot , I think its blue or black.. if you have that you have the updated board.
       If not hit up Phil at cobra and he will send you one out !!
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

NotaCoverBand

• "Lola" is her name...
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #42 on: Jun 08, 2015, 11:01:59 am »
      Had it on for a week now and the Cobra Powerpro seems to be doing well so far.  I've only drilled the exhaust with 4 3/8 holes in each and pushed in the plugs which should be almost nothing if the tuner is as capable as it says.  So far I have extremely minor popping on decel which seems usual for the stock exhaust but going to drill some bigger holes this week and see what happens.  Next up is new pipes which should really put it to the test...  Oh and I was showing it off to a buddy yesterday and blipped the throttle right after I started it and it backfired  :(  Not sure if its cuz I did it so early after starting or what but I'm watching that cobra like a hawk.   On the other hand the positive reviews seem to be dead on:  Sharper throttle response, smoother low rpm ridding (less shudder), but when it gets to the mid range it just seems to take off now.  When I hit 70-75 the engine is like butter.  Just as smooth as my old 4 cylinder cruiser.  Blow away by that... Fingers crossed folks...

xmanrigger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #43 on: Jun 08, 2015, 02:13:53 pm »
      Been using the Cobra PP for two years now, no problems.  O2 is disconnected.

Same here. Ran PP with o2 sensor for two years, no probs other than PP board getting wet and cooking. This year, Ivan flashed my ECU which deletes the O2 sensor. Still using PP, no issues, going strong.

2012 Raider / V&H Big Radius 2-1 / Cobra Fi2000 DFP / Baron Stealth Big Air / Avon AV72 Cobra Rear Tire /

NotaCoverBand

• "Lola" is her name...
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #44 on: Jun 10, 2015, 10:41:57 am »
      I thought someone said if you didn't hook up the o2 sensor then it was basically like running without the cobra?  Can anyone explain why i shouldn't plug the o2 sensor in and leave it connected to the factory wiring?  Thanks.   FYI i have not had my ECU flashed.