Author Topic: Who has done the Victory headlight swap? If you have, we need to chat.  (Read 24827 times)

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
Darn. Guess the only way to contact him is by calling CustomRaider.net then. Or email them.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
    • Roadliner
    Well I messaged Chilly on Facebook and he called me on the phone just minutes later to explain some things to me. Thought that was pretty nice of him.
    He's going to email me what to do and I'll post it here in case anyone ever has questions in the future about this conversion.

He may not be a member here anymore, for whatever reason, but still +1 for Chilly.
    « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2012, 10:56:01 pm by Slick26 »

RAIDER MANN

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 1
    Thanks for doing that Slick.  Chilly has always been straight up.

• Advertisement

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      The Raider headlight has one bulb (H4, 3 prong), it is a dual filament with hi and low beam wires. Yellow, green, and a black for ground.

The Victory headlight has two bulbs (H11, 2 prong), they are single filament. Each bulb has two lead wires and each bulb gets a ground and a power wire, one bulb gets the yellow and the black, the other bulb the green and black.

If you bought the h/l new, then you should have one H11 socket pigtail. You will need to purchase another H11 pigtail, look for it at a auto store like Autozone, O’rileys or similar.

Cut the socket off the OEM so you have three wires aforementioned above.  Each of the two victory pigtails should have one wire connected to the black OEM ground wire, and then the other lead of each pigtail gets one of the two remaining wires, i.e. one gets wired to green, the other pigtail gets wired to yellow.

Victory should be wired so that the top is low beam and the bottom is hi beam.

~chilly

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      There you have it. Thanks to Chilly.

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      Also another thing to take into consideration, not all Victory headlights of this style came with two H11 bulbs.
      I've looked up some pictures of Victory bikes that use this triangular headlight design, and some, depending on year and model, have one dual-filament bulb just like the Raider. So if you're looking at buying a Victory headlight for your Raider, please consider that.

RAIDER MANN

• Road Star
      Received my Victory headlight yesterday.  No wiring harness and only one bulb currently in the dome.  There is a hole for a second bulb so I'll be buying another bulb and the harness.  Then hopefully get her mounted up by next weekend.

Slick when you get yours done post up some pics.

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      Finished it over the weekend. In the process of posting pics right now.
      VERY impressed with this headlight... it really sets the front of the bike off.
      One thing I, and pretty much anyone else, notices, is this headlight looks like it was designed for this bike.
      Yamaha dropped the ball on the original headlight, in my opinion. They really could have done so much better. And this headlight does that.

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      Now that I have the wiring hooked up, my plan is to convert to HID... but I wanted to get this done first, make sure I got it right. It really wasn't that bad.

You can go to an auto parts store, or take an H11 plus the wiring/pig tail coming off it and just cut it off an old headlight from a wrecked car or whatever... they're all the same.

Then we just used Chilly's diagram and advice and hooked it up. It was pretty simple and straight forward.

Skullz

• Road Star
      That looks awesome. You definitely just put that on my to do list.

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      Highly recommended. HID is also highly recommended.

blaine563

• 2009 Silver Raider
      • Roadliner
      Very nice Slick!!! You're right about the shape and lines blending with the bike!!! Good Job!!!

"Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight"

Slick26

• Sept 2015 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      Very nice Slick!!! You're right about the shape and lines blending with the bike!!! Good Job!!!

For sure. Thanks.

RAIDER MANN

• Road Star
      Highly recommended. HID is also highly recommended.

Looks great slick good job!  Can't wait to get mine on.  Since I am not an electrical guy, does it matter if I use the Yamaha HID or the Victory HID set up?  I would assume that I use the Yamaha HID set up since the power is still coming from the Raider power set up, but not sure how that effects the H11 bulbs.  Or am I overthinking this! :o