Author Topic: Thanks Yamaha :-(  (Read 22178 times)

Aaron5623

• I have little Raiders running fast in my vains...
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Thanks Yamaha :-(
« Reply #30 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:58:20 am »
I'm also fed-up with my dealer's lack of quality workmanship,and have about three years left on my YES warranty. any one know If I keep all my receipt's on my oil changes,will I still have coverage if some thing bad happened inside my engine? I don't know if the dealership would be honest with me about it. The last time they did an oil change on my baby they used a whopping 2qts. of oil. I was watching them,then I went home and looked it up. Wow was I upset to say the least. So I do my own work on her now. Unless some thing major would come along. Anyway any one know if I would be covered?? :-\
Aaron5623-RIDE ON-

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #31 on: Oct 05, 2014, 08:42:05 am »
    I would think if you have documented proof of all the services done a at the dealer you should be covered but who knows what will happen with these Jack leg dealerships
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Tail dragger

• Raider
    « Reply #32 on: Oct 05, 2014, 12:00:46 pm »
    Only 2 quarts in on an oil change???  The filter itself holds almost half that much.  Did they drain all three plugs?  Obviously the tech didn't read up or know how to change the oil on a Raider.  Did they actually document that they only used 2 quarts in?

• Advertisement

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #33 on: Oct 07, 2014, 04:32:15 am »
      I'm also fed-up with my dealer's lack of quality workmanship,and have about three years left on my YES warranty. any one know If I keep all my receipt's on my oil changes,will I still have coverage if some thing bad happened inside my engine? I don't know if the dealership would be honest with me about it. The last time they did an oil change on my baby they used a whopping 2qts. of oil. I was watching them,then I went home and looked it up. Wow was I upset to say the least. So I do my own work on her now. Unless some thing major would come along. Anyway any one know if I would be covered?? :-\

If it's documented you have nothing to worry about.  They are supposed to be certified techs and know all the aspects of the machines they work on from an oil change to tearing down the engine.  When you got home did you put any more oil in, and did it take it?

Petey_08

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2014, 08:39:35 am »

You should be covered by the Magnuson Moss act, as it is illegal to void a warranty based on who does the maintenance as long as it has been done. So keeping receipts and documenting everything (mileage, dates, amounts, even pictures before, during, and after) will ensure that you have more than enough to prove that the maintenance has been done. On a similar note, I had a very bad experience with my dealer. The outrageous costs turned me away (40 bucks to mount a tire that I can do with almost 0 tools) but the nail in the coffin was when I got my oil changed (I was a "little" past the recommended time) before I put my Roadliner up for almost a year. When I pulled it out I changed the oil again and it took me a minute to realize that they probably didn't do an oil change based on the amount of contamination in the oil, my lawn mower oil after 2 years wasn't as black as what came out of this bike. I won't even go in there for a bolt (again, prices, they wanted 90 bucks for front brake pads).

Luke

• 2011 Raider - Roll on!
      • Warrior
      « Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 11:24:11 am »
      I have a 2011 and the starter will turn the motor over slowly.  Purchased new in August of 2013.  Kind of embarrassing when it should turn over quicker and start up better when you are in front of friends or what ever.  It wants to stop turning over sometimes when it hit the compression stroke.  I replaced the battery even when I tested the factory one and it was good.  The new battery seemed to help but now the starter is back to not performing as it should.  It should crank over fast and start up fairly quickly.  Am I mistaken?  Kind of frustrating.

So how do I go about getting the YES to replace this starter?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have not brought this up with a dealer yet a this point. FYI

Blueridge Raider

• Road Star
      « Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 12:07:22 pm »
      Luke,

I have an 11 that I bought new in March of 13. Does the exact same thing when starting, so there is at least two of us. Also had a 08 that did the same thing ????
      LTR/RTL

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 02:06:44 pm »
      I think all Raiders start slowly, it's not a bad starter, it's a huge engine.  Mine did it also and I thought it was because I had the 120ci kit.  I put a 348 CA battery to replace the 210 CA stock battery and it still starts the same way.  The only thing that is different is with the 210CA battery it would sometimes crank and stop for a second or two then continue.  Now it just cranks until it starts.
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:08:24 pm by CHROMINATOR »

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #38 on: May 04, 2015, 06:51:19 pm »
      My second starter acted up a couple of months ago,turns out one of the brushes was hanging up due to carbon dust. Took it apart and blew it out and so far it works fine. If you take the starter apart, it is possible to get the housing off and keep the armature in the bottom housing where the brushes are, but it's not easy cause the magnets want to pull the armature out as you remove the main housing. Then you have the fun of holding the 4 Brushes back in their housings as you put the armature back into the bottom housing, then if you don't hold the armature in place as you slide on the housing with the magnets, the armature will jump up to meet the magnets. Then you will swear profusely  :censored: :censored: :censored: as you have to start all over.
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:44:06 pm by RangerRick »
      2007 Honda VTX 1300R
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Luke

• 2011 Raider - Roll on!
      • Warrior
      « Reply #39 on: May 04, 2015, 08:16:55 pm »
      My second starter acted up a couple of months ago,turns out one of the brushes was hanging up due to carbon dust. Took it apart and blew it out and so far it works fine. If you take the starter apart, it is possible to get the housing off and keep the armature in the bottom housing where the brushes are, but it's not easy cause the magnets want to pull the armature out as you remove the main housing. Then you have the fun of holding the 4 magnets back in there housings as you put the armature back into the bottom housing, then if you don't hold the armature in place as you slide on the housing with the magnets, the armature will jump up to meet the magnets. Then you will swear profusely  :censored: :censored: :censored: as you have to start all over.
      So as I gather all the information I have read,  One may need to perform some  type maintenance at some point.  So once I get tired of the performance of the starter, it is possible to take it apart and perform some type of maintenance to the starter.  This may need to be winter job.

Raider50

• Roadliner
      « Reply #40 on: Jun 14, 2016, 02:24:01 pm »
      Luke,

I have an 11 that I bought new in March of 13. Does the exact same thing when starting, so there is at least two of us. Also had a 08 that did the same thing ????

Got the same damn issue. HD guys were giving me shit about it last saturday. I would like to meet the guy that designed the starter an kick him right in the ballsack

Luke

• 2011 Raider - Roll on!
      • Warrior
      « Reply #41 on: Jun 15, 2016, 12:00:49 pm »
      Luke,

Got the same damn issue. HD guys were giving me shit about it last saturday. I would like to meet the guy that designed the starter an kick him right in the ballsack
      F the starter, can I change it over to a Kick start.   ;D . Starting to get tired of the performance of it.  I will join you with kicking him in the ballsack.

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #42 on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:15:27 pm »
      Can someone take a video of this elusive issue?  ;D

Terry G.

• V Star
      « Reply #43 on: Aug 31, 2016, 10:13:15 pm »
      Seems Yamaha knew about this and finally did an upgrade.

http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24031  oh believe me id be back at the dealer. fo sho

from the above link

By the way there in new part number, it is 1D7818900100, the new part number according Yamaha is being issue due a upgrades in the current starter now offered on the 2012 Yamaha Raider. They said they weren't issuing a recall though due to the magnets issue, although it has been presiously reported . This part # is the same used on the Stratoliner and Rooadliner Models with the 1900.

dashiznit1

• V Star
      « Reply #44 on: Sep 21, 2016, 11:06:52 pm »
      I feel your pain-yamaha made me a bike with a s**t tranny and I can't do anything but replace the whole gearbox...  :'(