Author Topic: Thanks Yamaha :-(  (Read 29260 times)

Tail dragger

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Thanks Yamaha :-(
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:51:10 pm »
Think this (magnets coming loose) has happened to a couple of people.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

mddrummer911

• 2014 ROM Winner
    • Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »
    Not the first starter I've seen do this.  I had a bombardier ds650x four wheeler that I went through a few starters for this reason. 
    Life is ten percent what happens to you, and ninety percent how you respond to it. - Lou Holtz

RangerRick

• Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:53:18 pm »
    Think this (magnets coming loose) has happened to a couple of people.

Yes, one member on here tried to re-glue the magnets, but did not realize they are pole oriented, so ended up with the starter turning over the wrong way.
    2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
    ANG Member 25 years
    Retired Aug. 1, 2010

• Advertisement

Phalcun

• I'd rather be riding my Raider!!
      • Road Star
      « Reply #18 on: Apr 13, 2014, 06:07:33 pm »
      Jumped on my bike this weekend for awesome ride to the coast today and no starter, bikes been hard starting all winter and I have been putting starter repair off for awhile but thanks to RangerRick and some others talking about this I kinda already knew I had magnets coming loose.  I called 2 local dealers (35 and 45 miles away), they haven't heard of this issue and no idea if warranty would cover, the first jerk I talked to only would say that they could service my bike then submit for warranty and then only would they know if it was covered, but if there was nothing wrong with starter it would cost me, I said I was looking at loose magnets and he couldn't accept that was even a possibility.  Other dealership laughed and said he could lose his franchise if I replaced my starter with $200 Chinese one and brought Yami one to him along with my bike so he could see it then run it through warranty and get me a Yami starter back on bike.  I don't want to be without bike and sure don't like the idea of anyone else touching my bike, good grief it's only a starter, 10 minute replace.  I have worked at heavy equipment dealerships for nearly 40 years and we always give a pretty clear estimate what if any out of pocket expenses are gonna be, we definitely try to work with customer if it saves time or money also.  I finally called a Portland dealer (70 miles) and he said he didn't know why there would be a problem with bringing him my old starter and he figured that Yamaha would warranty starter, thank goodness I was starting to think that Yami's Y.E.S. plan should be NFI (No F****** Idea) plan.  Sorry to vent but weather is still awesome outside and I am not riding,  pissed at myself for not getting to this sooner.

Tail dragger

• Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Apr 13, 2014, 06:49:02 pm »
      Isn't it terrible that you talk to different dealers and each says something different.  Beginning to sound like they work for the government.  Hope you get it taken care of and it's covered by the warranty.

Phalcun

• Road Star
      « Reply #20 on: Apr 13, 2014, 07:56:02 pm »
      Thanks TD, I won't be without the bike for too long.  I would like to use the warranty once at least, I got 5 year extended and it runs out in November.  I never go for warranty contracts but sounded like a good idea at the time, I also didn't realize what caliber dealers I had locally, I bought the bike from a decent dealer up in Washington.

67p912

• Roadliner
      « Reply #21 on: Apr 14, 2014, 05:15:32 am »
      Jumped on my bike this weekend for awesome ride to the coast today and no starter, bikes been hard starting all winter and I have been putting starter repair off for awhile but thanks to RangerRick and some others talking about this I kinda already knew I had magnets coming loose.  I called 2 local dealers (35 and 45 miles away), they haven't heard of this issue and no idea if warranty would cover, the first jerk I talked to only would say that they could service my bike then submit for warranty and then only would they know if it was covered, but if there was nothing wrong with starter it would cost me, I said I was looking at loose magnets and he couldn't accept that was even a possibility.  Other dealership laughed and said he could lose his franchise if I replaced my starter with $200 Chinese one and brought Yami one to him along with my bike so he could see it then run it through warranty and get me a Yami starter back on bike.  I don't want to be without bike and sure don't like the idea of anyone else touching my bike, good grief it's only a starter, 10 minute replace.  I have worked at heavy equipment dealerships for nearly 40 years and we always give a pretty clear estimate what if any out of pocket expenses are gonna be, we definitely try to work with customer if it saves time or money also.  I finally called a Portland dealer (70 miles) and he said he didn't know why there would be a problem with bringing him my old starter and he figured that Yamaha would warranty starter, thank goodness I was starting to think that Yami's Y.E.S. plan should be NFI (No F****** Idea) plan.  Sorry to vent but weather is still awesome outside and I am not riding,  pissed at myself for not getting to this sooner.

If you don't mind me asking what dealer in Portland?  Also, you said you bought it at a decent dealer in Washington?

Tail dragger

• Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Apr 14, 2014, 06:29:50 am »
      Thanks TD, I won't be without the bike for too long.  I would like to use the warranty once at least, I got 5 year extended and it runs out in November.  I never go for warranty contracts but sounded like a good idea at the time, I also didn't realize what caliber dealers I had locally, I bought the bike from a decent dealer up in Washington.
      I think there are good dealers out there, but they are not always easy to find.  Even if you find a good one, seems like consistency just isn't always there.  They do well in one area, but are lacking in another.  Don't blame you for wanting to use the warranty at least once.  Getting something for what you paid out your money for.

Phalcun

• Road Star
      « Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2014, 09:15:07 pm »
      If you don't mind me asking what dealer in Portland?  Also, you said you bought it at a decent dealer in Washington?
      Yamaha Sportsplaza is the place, in Fairview just off I-84, I've spent a few bucks there on parts, their internet parts prices are the best I've found, never contacted their service dept until this weekend though.  I bought bike, slightly used (repo I imagine) from Powersports up in CentraliaWA, they treated me great on purchase and all the paperwork passed the first time here in Oregon, usually a pain to buy outta state here they tell me. 

67p912

• Roadliner
      « Reply #24 on: Apr 14, 2014, 09:57:19 pm »
      Yamaha Sportsplaza is the place, in Fairview just off I-84, I've spent a few bucks there on parts, their internet parts prices are the best I've found, never contacted their service dept until this weekend though.  I bought bike, slightly used (repo I imagine) from Powersports up in CentraliaWA, they treated me great on purchase and all the paperwork passed the first time here in Oregon, usually a pain to buy outta state here they tell me.

That is where I saw the Raider SCL that sold me on getting a Raider. ;D  My local Yamaha dealership ProCaliber in Vancouver is pretty expensive.

Phalcun

• Road Star
      « Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:03:51 pm »
      My bike is going again, new starter, covered by warranty, cranks engine over with more speed and power than old one had for sometime and engine starts a lot easier too.  Real impressed with Sportsplaza, Portland, especially Steve in service, without going into any details I couldn't be happier how things worked out.  Steve was no nonsense, got things going quickly and professionally, I believe he treated me and my problem like he would expect others to treat him.  MY 2009 Raider still has a few months warranty left and I should have 75000 or 80000 miles on it when it expires (talking warranty not bike here!), I bet she makes it without more issues but if it does I'll head straight to Sportsplaza, just wished they weren't so far away, I gotta check out the new FZ-09, love the look (and price) of that one.......

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »
      FZ09
       :firstplace: :awesome: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thumbs:

I got the Inspiration for all those Supermotards

Pan to right I gotta crop this

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014, 09:15:45 pm by MyRaider »
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

102~2~113

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #27 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:22:36 pm »
      +1 for Yamaha Sportsplaza!  They're too far away for me to visit but buy all my OEM parts from them. 

Phalcun

• Road Star
      « Reply #28 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:49:25 pm »
      You got the best of both worlds MyRaider, I wonder which would be better suited for the really twisty mountain roads around here?  The Raider, industries longest wheelbase production hot rod or your quick red TDM.  Only bad thing against the FZ-09 I've read in reviews is small gas tank but am about used to that on the Raider, other major drawback I see is lack of chrome.  I like the Raider in the twistys ok and love it for the long hauls but gotta think the sportbike would be a blast to have around

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2014, 10:17:05 pm »
      You got the best of both worlds MyRaider, I wonder which would be better suited for the really twisty mountain roads around here?  The Raider, industries longest wheelbase production hot rod or your quick red TDM.  Only bad thing against the FZ-09 I've read in reviews is small gas tank but am about used to that on the Raider, other major drawback I see is lack of chrome.  I like the Raider in the twistys ok and love it for the long hauls but gotta think the sportbike would be a blast to have around

I have had that bike since new in 92 and have to say has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned.

The thing I love about it you not hunched over like typical rice rocket, your sitting straight up like an XR600.

But back when I had no brains was sick picked it up in 2nd and go right through the gears I would wheelie that bike for miles don't no how I didn't blow motor with no oil getting to were it supposed to.

Had a cop follow me for over a mile didn't know he was there doing 80mph finally my friend noticed him made me put it down.

This cop said to me as I'm shitting brick you no how long I been behind you, I said I'm sorry officer I don't.

He said over a mile I was like I'm sorry officer.

Well he said that was awesome let me and my friend go and told us to holeshot as we pull away.

I was shocked but man did we laugh when we got back to the house.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014, 10:19:37 pm by MyRaider »
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...