Author Topic: Tire Dims  (Read 35702 times)

lurch

Re: Tire Dims
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2010, 06:38:13 am »
Has anyone had any rubbing from a larger tire the may have put on?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Motodad393

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2010, 08:14:31 am »
    Has anyone had any rubbing from a larger tire the may have put on?

The only rubbing I personally saw was when my friend had his Raider slammed and rode with a 240 Metz while riding  two top.  It rubbed then, not continuously but when he hit bumps, even small bumps.

Since then he has removed the slam kit and he now rides with an Avon AV72 Cobra 240/R40/18 and he recently put and Avon bias ply AV71 120/21 on the front.

LostDog

« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:41:46 am »
    I had the same kind of rubbing Motodad393  described except mine's not lowered. It only happened with my 240 Dunlop E3. The fix was easy, just tighten up the spring a little. The Metz 240 has never rubbed!

• Advertisement

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 6
      « Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 10:50:07 am »
      I'm opening a whole new can of worms here! I'm leaning towards the Avon 240 Cobra's but has anyone thought about trying a 140mm wide front tire. Our rims are only the same width as our tires so the 240's fit nicely so maybe a 140 front would fit well too. The question is if the handling would be a problem. The unpopular Metzeler's are the ones that make it. I wanting more sidewall protection on my trip this summer, and no more chock gouges on my rims from the shop tech's that don't use softeners. Only had Met's on so far and am not terribly impressed with the grip or mileages,  but still like the idea of the wider front tire a lot!
      I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #34 on: May 22, 2010, 06:34:04 pm »
      Bump, someone chime in with a perspective. I value your input.
      I'm opening a whole new can of worms here! I'm leaning towards the Avon 240 Cobra's but has anyone thought about trying a 140mm wide front tire. Our rims are only the same width as our tires so the 240's fit nicely so maybe a 140 front would fit well too. The question is if the handling would be a problem. The unpopular Metzeler's are the ones that make it. I wanting more sidewall protection on my trip this summer, and no more chock gouges on my rims from the shop tech's that don't use softeners. Only had Met's on so far and am not terribly impressed with the grip or mileages,  but still like the idea of the wider front tire a lot!
      I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

WilCon

• Search police and general nuisance.
      • Raider
      « Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »
      I am on the fence on this one. More front tire contact patch is better, I worry that the handling would get heavier. The larger the width the more rolling resistance and the more centrifugal force generated. You would have to check clearance to the front fender as the overall tire diameter would be greater. I won't go so far as to call it a bad idea, I will say I personally wouldn't do it.
      The above post is strictly the opinion of the poster, disregard as necessary.

If the above post is in RED then it was a moderator talking, you should pay attention.

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 08:38:33 pm »
      There will be about 2 to 3mm on each side between the sidewalls and the fender mount metal. It's hard for me to think that a mere 20mm would have too much of a negative effect on the steering in a lean or quick evasive moves. I could be off on this one tho. I just don't care for the Metz brand since my mileages are only so so, the stickiness is poor and the tread is reversed.

Milehighturbo

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2010, 11:19:38 pm »
      FYI the dunlop E III 250-40-18 is a BIG TIRE the clearance is VERY TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

had to clearance the lower belt gaurd and the other side tire to swing arm is about an 1/8 of an inch!!!

WilCon

• Search police and general nuisance.
      • Raider
      « Reply #38 on: Jul 02, 2010, 10:13:00 am »
      Never had to clearance anything with the Dunlop.
      The above post is strictly the opinion of the poster, disregard as necessary.

If the above post is in RED then it was a moderator talking, you should pay attention.

Milehighturbo

• Road Star
      « Reply #39 on: Jul 02, 2010, 12:14:02 pm »
      240 or 250??? this 250 is VERY CLOSE when i figure out how to post a pic i will do so.

ssmittycool

• Road Star
      « Reply #40 on: Jul 03, 2010, 12:26:40 am »
      I've got the avon 250 on mine.  It is close, but more like 1/4".  Check out my pics for close-up.

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #41 on: Jul 04, 2010, 09:45:23 am »

LostDog

« Reply #42 on: Jul 04, 2010, 11:05:32 am »
      What's surpring to me is that the E3 seems wider as a 250 than the Avon and yet as a 240 it's the narrowist and tallest of the 3. Of course that's with only the 1 E3 reference where there are lots of 250 Avons.

life begins @200MPH

« Reply #43 on: Jul 14, 2010, 03:48:14 pm »
      does any body know the rear axle diameter with adding a wider tier there is more stress on the axle i whet from a 200 to a 250 Avon and bent the axle.

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #44 on: Jul 16, 2010, 06:02:30 pm »
      maybe brent can verify or deny here...but I heard some
      yamaha guys saying the raider should have a 240 but they
      were hoping to save money by putting the 210 on instead