Author Topic: Wolfraider Bobber runs rough. Need insights!!!  (Read 12803 times)

wolfraider

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Wolfraider Bobber runs rough. Need insights!!!
« on: Jun 15, 2013, 06:20:18 pm »
Have bad back firing at any given time, bike runs rough, hesitant at acceleration, lot of funny business going on.
Checked my PC III and map, replaced it with a new PC III, moved my custom map to the new unit, test rode and still does the same.
I'm worried, that my fuel pump is on its last leg.

What are the symptoms with a dying fuel pump?
To live on two wheels is to live a life in balance!

100k miles March 2008 - May 2014

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fuelfan1

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    Re: Wolfraider Bobber runs rough. Need insights!!!
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2013, 06:36:42 pm »
    Fuel pump could easily cause that. I have heard a few guys talking about their pump going bad and just stop working but not having it just start running poorly. I'd run fuel pressure test.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2013, 06:52:29 pm »
    Have bad back firing at any given time, bike runs rough, hesitant at acceleration, lot of funny business going on.
    Checked my PC III and map, replaced it with a new PC III, moved my custom map to the new unit, test rode and still does the same.

Did you re-calibrate your Throttle position sensor in the PCIII
    Kick Logic To The Curb!

• Advertisement

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2013, 07:04:49 pm »
      Fuel pump could definitely be an issue.  Try ruling out the ECU by leaving the battery disconnected overnight.  The should reset the ECU...if the problem persists the ECU isn't the issue.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

woodog

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2013, 07:24:03 pm »

Sounds exactly what mines was doing 2months ago...I would bet it's the fuel pump. It's going to quit on you and not start at all. Thats what mines did. Good thing I have a friend that works for yamaha  ;)
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2013, 07:26:37 pm by woodog »
      Woodog..Patriot Raider...Marine... MGySgt.  Semper Fidelis

blakjak

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2013, 08:07:03 pm »
      Ares should chime in shortly. Symptoms sound the same as his and Woodog's.

This is starting to look like more and more of an inevitability as the miles and hours build on these.

Woo, Wolf, Ares; you guys care to elaborate on the ages of and miles on your bikes when this occured?
      2008 Raven Raider, Vance & Hines 2-1, 250 Avon Cobra, Power Commander III, Progressive Lowering Kit (springs & dogbones), Barons BAK, Boulevard windscreen...

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2013, 09:43:23 pm »

This is starting to look like more and more of an inevitability as the miles and hours build on these.

Woo, Wolf, Ares; you guys care to elaborate on the ages of and miles on your bikes when this occured?

If that's the case I wonder if there is an aftermarket alternative we could use.  Anybody know the specs of the stock fuel pump?
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2013, 10:05:10 pm »
      Mine was a gradual thing both times.  It ran poorly and would backfire between shifts. First I'd use some Seafoam and it somewhat helped. Then it came back.  Then I replaced plugs and cleaned air filter and it somewhat helped. Then it came back. Sometimes it would die at stops. Sometimes it would have issues starting.  Then eventually it just ran like shit and you could hear it cutting out.   It happended more in the afternoons.  Not sure if it was heat related or because I was lowerer on gas in the afternoons.

Good luck!!!

My first fuel pump went out at 35k miles and the second at 70k miles.

wolfraider

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2013, 10:39:50 pm »
      I'm close to 87k with mine.
      To live on two wheels is to live a life in balance!

100k miles March 2008 - May 2014

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 6
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2013, 11:31:03 pm »
      Have you checked the intake and exhaust gaskets for leaks?
      I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2013, 01:04:51 am »
      From all the threads on the fuel pump issues yours sounds like it fits.  Good luck whatever it ends up being.

woodog

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:24:37 am »

31.000 for me

woodog

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:27:27 am »

If that's the case I wonder if there is an aftermarket alternative we could use.  Anybody know the specs of the stock fuel pump?

I searched could not find a aftermarket pump.....they are around 425 to 460 on line.

umpire3

• Road Star
      « Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »
      Over on the Warrior forum "armystar" found a Walbro fuel pump that can replace the OEM.  Maybe it's worth looking into that.  Here's the link: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/14-installed-warrior-modifications-accessories/179044-walbro-255-fuel-pump-install.html.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2013, 07:01:09 pm »

I searched could not find a aftermarket pump.....they are around 425 to 460 on line.

If you can find out the specs (energy drap and pumping power, and its dimensions) a good NAPA, Oreily, or Autozone should be able to find you a generic one that will work just as well.  You might have to fab some mounts though.

Some of the custom builders I know have done this on bikes when they hide the gas tank under the seat and have a bare backbone with no traditional tank.  We shouldn't have much of a problem since these motors are as big as some cars.  Its more of a challenge on sub 1200cc bikes.  Plumbing and wiring is usually simple enough.  You might be able to find one for as little as $100.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!