Author Topic: Wolfraider Bobber runs rough. Need insights!!!  (Read 12804 times)

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Wolfraider Bobber runs rough. Need insights!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 16, 2013, 07:04:52 pm »
ok close to $100 bones.  Not sure if this matches specs but its good to 200hp.
http://www.jegs.com/i/NOS/741/15760/10002/-1

If you can find a spec match it should work without throwing any codes on the bike.  Worth a try rather than shelling out near $500 for one.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

the urban legend

• Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2013, 07:33:38 pm »

If you can find a spec match it should work without throwing any codes on the bike.  Worth a try rather than shelling out near $500 for one.
    NOS#741-15760
    Low Pressure/Small Displacement Fuel Pump
    5/16" Inlet/Outlet
    18 GPH @ 4.0 psi, 5.5 psi Max
    $105.99 Ships Monday

Something tells me this pump wouldn't work Capt_Zoom
    I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

blakjak

• Road Star
    « Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »
    Pressure and flow rate would need to match. Not sure if the regulator is separate on these, though I've heard it mentioned as a separate part.

I would assume that the regulator could handle a bit of variability if an aftermarket pump put out a bit more pressure and flow than the stock one. Obviously more rather than less. I think Paladin at one point mentioned somewhere around 55 psi was a good pressure number?

This is one of those things that it may be better to pony up the cash to Yamaha unless the same pump is found through a different vendor. Can't imagine it's a unique part to the Raider only but it may be. Part number cross reference from someone who has a connection at an auto parts store might help.
    2008 Raven Raider, Vance & Hines 2-1, 250 Avon Cobra, Power Commander III, Progressive Lowering Kit (springs & dogbones), Barons BAK, Boulevard windscreen...

• Advertisement

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:25:35 pm »

NOS#741-15760
      Low Pressure/Small Displacement Fuel Pump
      5/16" Inlet/Outlet
      18 GPH @ 4.0 psi, 5.5 psi Max
      $105.99 Ships Monday

Something tells me this pump wouldn't work Capt_Zoom

No sure.  The PSi seems low but I know there was a guy with a xs650 running one that was only like 2 psi.  i'm looking more at the HP numbers.  That pump is good to 200HP.  Its probably meant for 4 cylinder engines but who knows.  I posted it because its probably a close example and its only $105.  I figure its worth looking into if you can save $300-500.  There are many other pumps out there.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

satanos6668280

• 2011 Raider S. Black with skull paint
      • Road Star
      « Reply #19 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »
      Pay no attention to the hp numbers you need the proper pressure and volume... the raider bein fuel injected these are your critical number anything less than 40 psi WILL NOT work. anything less is for a carburated application. you need the higher pressure and volume because there is no float bowl with fuel injection for a reserve when you open the throttle and because it helps to atomize the fuel as it is sprayed into the intake port to help with fuel mixture

blakjak

• Road Star
      « Reply #20 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:41:47 pm »
      I'm guessing it's good to 200 as it'll flow 18GPH. While I'm speculating here as my knowledge of the intricacies of fuel systems is limited at best, pressure has to be there though for the injectors to atomize and work properly.
      2008 Raven Raider, Vance & Hines 2-1, 250 Avon Cobra, Power Commander III, Progressive Lowering Kit (springs & dogbones), Barons BAK, Boulevard windscreen...

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Jun 16, 2013, 09:23:56 pm »
      I'm guessing it's good to 200 as it'll flow 18GPH. While I'm speculating here as my knowledge of the intricacies of fuel systems is limited at best, pressure has to be there though for the injectors to atomize and work properly.

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to fuel pumps.  Just saying it might be an option for a cheaper possibly longer lasting fuel pump.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

satanos6668280

• Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 2013, 09:47:40 pm »
      You are correct.... running a low pressure pump would act like you had a plugged fuel filter..... im not sure about the raider but alot of automotive applications actually use the pressurized fuel to open the injector and the electrical solenoid part only allows the fuel to fill a tiny resevoir inside the injector so without that pressure it won't work

Deyv

• Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Jun 17, 2013, 12:10:54 am »
      Have you tried any additives, such as Seafoam?..  I had some similar sounding issues and an application of seafoam cleared it right up... Maybe zome thing to try before tearing apart the fuel tank/system.

satanos6668280

• Road Star
      « Reply #24 on: Jun 17, 2013, 02:15:59 am »
      Did the problem show up all of a sudden or after some work was done on the bike? Does the bike idle ok and just under a load its sputtering? have you checked for good spark out of all four coils? is there a way to check fuel pressure?

woodog

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #25 on: Jun 17, 2013, 07:21:27 am »

Doesnt have the correct electrical plugs either, but they maybe modified I guess.
      Woodog..Patriot Raider...Marine... MGySgt.  Semper Fidelis

blakjak

• Road Star
      « Reply #26 on: Jun 17, 2013, 07:51:49 am »
      Did the problem show up all of a sudden or after some work was done on the bike? Does the bike idle ok and just under a load its sputtering? have you checked for good spark out of all four coils? is there a way to check fuel pressure?

There is. If the service manual doesn't show it, VegaV8 or Paladin know how. Checking fuel pressure isn't that hard on these.

woodog

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Jun 17, 2013, 08:02:18 am »
      Fuel pump bad.....Kewlraider had the same signs, just like a few others.
      Woodog..Patriot Raider...Marine... MGySgt.  Semper Fidelis

wolfraider

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #28 on: Jun 17, 2013, 08:25:17 am »
      Have you tried any additives, such as Seafoam?..  I had some similar sounding issues and an application of seafoam cleared it right up... Maybe zome thing to try before tearing apart the fuel tank/system.

I use ringfree from yamalube on an ongoing basis, every 4th tank, to keep carbon built-up in check.
      To live on two wheels is to live a life in balance!

100k miles March 2008 - May 2014

wolfraider

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #29 on: Jun 17, 2013, 08:26:10 am »

The problem showed up all of a sudden at the rally in Branson, MO.
      To live on two wheels is to live a life in balance!

100k miles March 2008 - May 2014