Author Topic: Fuel pump  (Read 54083 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
Re: Fuel pump
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2013, 06:49:31 pm »
Once or twice ... but it's done that for a few years.

Really?  Only time I ever had that happen was when the fuel pump was going out.  Have you checked the plugs and air filter? Both will cause the same symptoms.

Could check the plugs ... air filter is new this year.
[/quote]

Yeah but see if you picked anything up and it's blocking the air filter.  I had a couple of bird feathers in mine once.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

dreadly

• living the dream
    • Global Moderator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #16 on: Jul 01, 2013, 08:21:57 pm »
    Shall do

dreadly

• living the dream
    • Global Moderator
    • Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Jul 02, 2013, 08:59:07 am »
    For those that have experienced the fuel pump issue, was it a gradual progression or a sudden problem?

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2013, 09:32:04 am »
      For those that have experienced the fuel pump issue, was it a gradual progression or a sudden problem?

Gradual. with the occasional total stall of the engine.

zakattak

• To win raider of the year.....
      • DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • Road Star
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #19 on: Jul 02, 2013, 01:47:25 pm »
      Im talking about turning the key and not starting the engine...when the system runs through its initial check when the key is turned the fuel pump makes a high pitched whine...every bike with a fuel pump ive ever owned does this but i would like to stop it

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2013, 01:50:02 pm »
      Im talking about turning the key and not starting the engine...when the system runs through its initial check when the key is turned the fuel pump makes a high pitched whine...every bike with a fuel pump ive ever owned does this but i would like to stop it

You mean that whine that lasts for about 2 seconds?  I guess I don't give it much thought. Actually I kind of like it because if I don't here it, then I assume something is wrong.

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Jul 02, 2013, 02:02:20 pm »
      You mean that whine that lasts for about 2 seconds?  I guess I don't give it much thought. Actually I kind of like it because if I don't here it, then I assume something is wrong.
      agreed ... just something you come to expect, and if I don't, I would panic

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Jul 02, 2013, 02:09:13 pm »
      agreed ... just something you come to expect, and if I don't, I would panic

I did when I installed the LA Choppers handlebars and turned it on to test and no noise, no speedo dance, nothing. Then I remembered I had all of the wires that were normally inside the headlight disconnected.

Paladin

• Roadliner
      « Reply #23 on: Jul 02, 2013, 02:20:53 pm »
      Dreadly,

If you go back and look through the posts regarding fuel pump issues, you'll find that I gave pretty detailed instructions on how to check the fuel pump and fuel regulator for problems and how to determine which one was faulty.
      Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #24 on: Jul 02, 2013, 03:02:04 pm »
      Dreadly,

If you go back and look through the posts regarding fuel pump issues, you'll find that I gave pretty detailed instructions on how to check the fuel pump and fuel regulator for problems and how to determine which one was faulty.

On the agenda Paladin ...

For those reading this thread - Paladin's explanation on how to check fuel pressure:
      Your unregulated fuel pressure (input side of the regulator) should be about 70-75 PSI. Regulated fuel pressure (output side of the regulator) needs to be 55-56 PSI. To check this, hook your pressure gauge to the output side of the regulator. Turn the key on, and read the pressure. The pressure should read 55-56 PSI. If you don't get this initial reading, you have a fuel pump problem. If you get the propper PSI reading, having turned the key on, turn the key off, and watch the pressure gauge. The pressure should hold. Eventually the pressure will drop, due to the regulator's fuel return line. However, if the pressure drops off right away, you have a regulator problem.
      The Raider's stock fuel regulator isn't adjustable, either manually or through a vacuume control. 
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2013, 03:08:48 pm by dreadly »

102~2~113

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #25 on: Jul 02, 2013, 03:36:06 pm »
      Subscribed.

About the Seafoam that Dreadly and Aresx added.  It sounded like you added 1/2 can or 8 oz to the tank.  with a full tank that would be twice the recommended formula, added to an empty tank and gravity fed into the reserve tank prior to filling, that could be 8+ times the recommended formula.  Could this have anything to do with the fuel pump or regulator issues?

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #26 on: Jul 02, 2013, 03:45:05 pm »
      Don't believe it had anything to do with my issues - I only tried this Saturday. Had it stall twice that week and once after the Seafoam addition.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Jul 02, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »
      Subscribed.

About the Seafoam that Dreadly and Aresx added.  It sounded like you added 1/2 can or 8 oz to the tank.  with a full tank that would be twice the recommended formula, added to an empty tank and gravity fed into the reserve tank prior to filling, that could be 8+ times the recommended formula.  Could this have anything to do with the fuel pump or regulator issues?

It wouldn't.   First time I ever used Seafoam I used way too much too.  I freaked out and contacted the company and he said there was nothign to worry about. He said Seafoam is oil based and will not harm the enigine.  He said you may get some blue smoke (I never did), but that would be the worst of it. 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #28 on: Jul 02, 2013, 03:55:50 pm »
      Dreadly,

On the agenda Paladin ...

For those reading this thread - Paladin's explanation on how to check fuel pressure:
      Your unregulated fuel pressure (input side of the regulator) should be about 70-75 PSI. Regulated fuel pressure (output side of the regulator) needs to be 55-56 PSI. To check this, hook your pressure gauge to the output side of the regulator. Turn the key on, and read the pressure. The pressure should read 55-56 PSI. If you don't get this initial reading, you have a fuel pump problem. If you get the propper PSI reading, having turned the key on, turn the key off, and watch the pressure gauge. The pressure should hold. Eventually the pressure will drop, due to the regulator's fuel return line. However, if the pressure drops off right away, you have a regulator problem.The Raider's stock fuel regulator isn't adjustable, either manually or through a vacuume control.

I believe this was the issue with mine the last time.  They told me my pressure was good and checked it a number of times.  Then they found it wasn't maintaining any pressure and finally came to the realization that I was right all along and I had a fuel pump problem.  I was thinking that mine dropped while it was running though.  Can't completely remember as it's been a while.

wileecoyote

• "Winding road next 99 miles..."
      • Road Star
      « Reply #29 on: Jul 02, 2013, 06:56:21 pm »
      I was just going through my maintenance records for my other Yamaha....2006 Roadstar, and the fuel pump on that died at 26k.  I would presume different fuel pump than Raider, but just seemed to me an odd coincidence.