Author Topic: Fuel pump  (Read 64676 times)

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Fuel pump
« Reply #45 on: Jul 08, 2013, 01:44:17 pm »
Did you atleast get the pump pressure checked?

damn .... I now know there was something I forgot to do while I was changing oil. I shall get to that this week - thanks for the reminder

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

v8_vega

• Ride like your invisible!
    • Warrior
    Re: Re: Fuel pump
    « Reply #46 on: Jul 13, 2013, 09:37:30 am »
    What kind of mileage are we talking when symptoms start?

I believe:
    Ares - 35k
    Woodog - 31k
    Wolfraider - 87k
    Kewlraider - don't recall
    v8_vega - don't recall
    seventhLetter - don't recall
    wileecoyote - Roadstar - 26k

I'm currently at 25k ... nothing has failed yet but ...................

I believe mine went out around 45k. Seems it wasn't really gradual, just started having power issues, cutting out at higher rpms and loads. Got worse as engine temp rose.

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #47 on: Aug 08, 2013, 03:43:07 pm »
    I was just thinking about the Fuel pump due to another thread and I wanted to post some info I've been wondering about...

Recently AZ Raider came over to pick up the stock exhaust from my Raider. He was having some weird issues with the way it was running and wanted to try an unaltered stock exhaust system.  As we were talking he mentioned he was questioning his battery as well. I still had the Shorai battery I used for literally one week and sold it to him at my cost. The symptoms he was describing to me sounded very similar to the fuel pump issue, but he only has around 17,000 miles on his Raider (I think).

A little over a week ago I get a text from him and sure enough... His fuel pump went bad.

Both times my fuel pump went out I ended up changing out the battery per the dealers recommendation. One of them I had to since it wouldn't even start for me to take home. So is there a chance that a bad battery could cause a problem with the fuel pump?  It just seems like a very strange coincidence.

Any of you who also had fuel pump issues, did you have battery issues at the same time?

• Advertisement

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #48 on: Aug 08, 2013, 03:50:18 pm »
      I think my issues were due to the bushing being gone from my clutch lever. Chilli posted an article stating that this can cause issues with seems to act like a fuel pump issue.

I replaced the bushing and haven't had it stall once - I will hopefully be able to put some mile on it this weekend and see if the issue truly is gone

KewlRaider

• SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
        • Kewl Kolors
      « Reply #49 on: Aug 08, 2013, 04:10:34 pm »
      I didn't go back through this thread to see if it had been discussed but my feeling on my fuel pump issue is that I had a bad habit of running well into my reserve all the time.   From what i've heard it's seems that's a bad thing to do since the fuel pump is cooled by the the gasoline in which it lies.  I don't know that the problem was caused by that but it's enough for me to now not run into my reserve unless absolutely necessary.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #50 on: Aug 08, 2013, 04:20:14 pm »
      I didn't go back through this thread to see if it had been discussed but my feeling on my fuel pump issue is that I had a bad habit of running well into my reserve all the time.   From what i've heard it's seems that's a bad thing to do since the fuel pump is cooled by the the gasoline in which it lies.  I don't know that the problem was caused by that but it's enough for me to now not run into my reserve unless absolutely necessary.

I've got a relative with a HD dresser and big bore setup and his bike has that problem...all of that make do.  He told me once that the last thing you wanted to do was run out of fuel in this HD.  that it caused all kinds of issues.

Not sure if running into the reserves would cause it but if your cruising on fumes a lot with barely anything left it could. 

Even with this it seems odd to me that a manufacturer would use such a fragile pump.  I run my jeeps and other vehicles to fumes regularly and have never had a fuel pump issue and that's with over 200 miles on various vehicles.  Maybe on cars the wind helps cool them where on the raider the pump isn't getting as much air.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #51 on: Aug 08, 2013, 04:23:41 pm »

I've got a relative with a HD dresser and big bore setup and his bike has that problem...all of that make do.  He told me once that the last thing you wanted to do was run out of fuel in this HD.  that it caused all kinds of issues.

Not sure if running into the reserves would cause it but if your cruising on fumes a lot with barely anything left it could. 

Even with this it seems odd to me that a manufacturer would use such a fragile pump.  I run my jeeps and other vehicles to fumes regularly and have never had a fuel pump issue and that's with over 200 miles on various vehicles.  Maybe on cars the wind helps cool them where on the raider the pump isn't getting as much air.

Late model Pontiac Trans Am and late 90's Chevy Camaros were this way. I know because we ended up replacing fuel pumps in both and it was not cheap.

michael t

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 0
        • bersachat.com
      « Reply #52 on: Aug 08, 2013, 09:59:24 pm »
       Well I will keep riding my way and we one day shall see .  I don't take long road trips  nevr more than 50 miles from home  Mainly due to health problems  So I fill up  between 90 and 110 miles  about every time.  I have never saw reserve light  and only once went just over 120 miles. . If my pump goes out not from lack of cooling gas. around pump.  But the thought of that made me buy the extended warranty.
      [

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Went the telephone poles look like a solid wall . Your at cruise speed

Paladin

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #53 on: Aug 10, 2013, 01:55:23 am »
      The reason the fuel pumps crack is because the pump is suspended from the top of the secondary fuel tank and the fuel pump doesn't receive any physical support at the bottom of the tank. This mounting arrangement makes the fuel pump prone to cracking due to vibration.
      Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #54 on: Aug 10, 2013, 10:52:48 am »
      The reason the fuel pumps crack is because the pump is suspended from the top of the secondary fuel tank and the fuel pump doesn't receive any physical support at the bottom of the tank. This mounting arrangement makes the fuel pump prone to cracking due to vibration.

Wonder if we could make a lower mount for more support.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #55 on: Aug 12, 2013, 10:19:48 am »

Wonder if we could make a lower mount for more support.

I would certainly think so.  It can't be all that tough and there's definitely some room to work there.

dstaffel

« Reply #56 on: Aug 14, 2013, 11:04:52 pm »
      so the mechanic just told me my stalls / inability to run the bike is due to failing fuel pump, at 19.5k miles! I feel scammed by yamaha but whatever. I wanted to ask if any of you have seen better performance (longevity) from the replacements or the same shit? are there any updates or options for this repair?

Tail dragger

• Raider
      « Reply #57 on: Aug 15, 2013, 06:34:42 am »
      ds, just a question.  Do you wait to fuel up when the low fuel light comes on and have you ever run out of gas?  Just wondering if low fuel can cause heat on that pump and cause premature failure?  Sure seems that less than 20,000 miles shouldn't be happening.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #58 on: Aug 15, 2013, 10:17:16 am »
      AZ Raider just had it happen to him at about 20,000 miles.  I believe he bought his used, so he'd have no way to knowing the fuel history of the bike.

Mine went out right around 35,000 miles on my first fuel pump and around 70,000 on the second.  I don't think Yamaha had replaced the part # on it at this point.  I did get lucky and they paid for the second one.

My recommendation is to call Yamaha and explain your mileage and ask if this is something you should expect every 20,000 miles. You may get lucky and they may cover it. Worst case is that you wasted a phone call and some time.

I believe Wolf had over 80,000 miles before his started giving him trouble. Obviously he was doing something right.  I do think the AZ heat has something to do with mine going out.  I did run out of gas once and ran really low twice.  I try not to do that.

dstaffel

« Reply #59 on: Aug 15, 2013, 10:49:44 pm »
      AZ Raider just had it happen to him at about 20,000 miles.  I believe he bought his used, so he'd have no way to knowing the fuel history of the bike.

Mine went out right around 35,000 miles on my first fuel pump and around 70,000 on the second.  I don't think Yamaha had replaced the part # on it at this point.  I did get lucky and they paid for the second one.

My recommendation is to call Yamaha and explain your mileage and ask if this is something you should expect every 20,000 miles. You may get lucky and they may cover it. Worst case is that you wasted a phone call and some time.

I believe Wolf had over 80,000 miles before his started giving him trouble. Obviously he was doing something right.  I do think the AZ heat has something to do with mine going out.  I did run out of gas once and ran really low twice.  I try not to do that.

Wow so this really is the life of the bike issue thanks for the response and advice definitely gonna give em a call tomorrow. Yes generally after the fuel light is when I fill up thought that was its purpose lol Although not the day it failed me I had ridden all day but continued to fill at 1/2 tanks cause wasn't sure of the next gas location. Sorry but all this talk of babying this pump if fking BS, its a motorcycle wtf are they doing to make it so fragile? A 20k car is practically new are bike years like dog years? (honest question) Do MC owners expect more major repairs within fives years of use?