Author Topic: Fuel pump  (Read 83146 times)

mrwhtfks

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Fuel pump
« Reply #300 on: Feb 10, 2017, 07:32:23 pm »
Glad you got it fixed, hopefully it will last...  :fingerscrossed:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #301 on: Feb 10, 2017, 09:48:35 pm »
    2008   >:(

Got it all back together yesterday and took a test  :raider:  Bike right away was MUCH easier to start, MUCH less sputter and back fire.  Also even had the fuel light come on and no drop in performance (used to run AWFUL when it was even 1/4 of a tank).  Did not get it on the highway to see if the hesitation is gone, but I would say this is fixed!  Wanted to get it done now and test out for a while before I head up to the NC mountains for the SERR in July.
    :thumbs:

182PC

• V Star
    « Reply #302 on: Feb 14, 2017, 06:44:00 am »
    I am trying to rescue an 09 Raider left parked for 4 to 5 years. Going through fuel system. What is the best way to clean fuel pump? It pumps with no leaks. I have not checked the pressure. I have it out of the tank. Can I soak it in carb cleaner?

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #303 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:54:38 am »
      I am trying to rescue an 09 Raider left parked for 4 to 5 years. Going through fuel system. What is the best way to clean fuel pump? It pumps with no leaks. I have not checked the pressure. I have it out of the tank. Can I soak it in carb cleaner?
      That or give it a bath in Seafoam - glad you rescued an abused  >:( Raider

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #304 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:41:29 am »

Good for you!  I hope you reported the previous owner to the authorities for abusing an innocent motorcycle.  I need to do the same for a guy down the street that leaves his outside in the driveway all the time.

182PC

• V Star
      « Reply #305 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:16:43 pm »
      Well, the guy got ill, and then progressively has gotten worse. He approached me about rescuing it, and then made a deal with me that I couldn't refuse. He is almost as pumped about seeing it run again as I am. Sorry if I said something that was misleading. Now I have the tanks out to be cleaned and lined. I just need to find the best way to clean the pump without ruining the plastic., and clearing the line from the pump to the injectors. Any suggestions? Or any other things that I need to do?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #306 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:19:37 pm »
      I was only joking and I think since he's been ill we'll cut him some slack.  GOOD LUCK!

182PC

• V Star
      « Reply #307 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:33:59 pm »
      Not a problem. I have to put new rubber on it also. What seems to be the most used? Going to 240. I know this can be quite controversial but looking at Avon and Dunlop.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #308 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:36:40 pm »
      Probably about 90% of the people here are going to tell you Avon 240.  Fronts are okay with the stock Metz, but if you're replacing both you may as well get a matching set.

mrwhtfks

• Road Star
      « Reply #309 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:22:57 am »

This is a good video about the fuel pump issues these things have.  However it could be useful in your case.  At about the 5 minute mark he shows you the electrical connections on how to get the pump to turn jumping it off the battery.  Since you have it out of the bike you can put the pump in a tubberware or the like and flush it using the pump itself.  Make sure you get all that nasty out of it.  He does just that in the video at about the 8:30 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKaqwBeV1Vw

And I will be one of the 90% telling you to go Avon.  Switched to it about 3 months ago and COULD not be happier.

182PC

• V Star
      « Reply #310 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:59:18 pm »
      Thanks for the info. What should I flush it with? Straight Sea Foam?. I thought about a can of carburetor soak, like you can buy at an auto store. A bit worried about harming the plastic. It already sounds like the fuel pumps have a problem with that.

diamondlou78

• V Star
      « Reply #311 on: Nov 26, 2017, 09:24:34 pm »
      I think my new (to me) 08 9kmi has the cracked fuel pump.
      1. Would you reccomend doing the repair or just getting a new pump? (seems like a new pump housing would fail the same just a matter of time?)
      2. I saw drilling the ends of the crack before sealing/welding would be a good idea?
      3. Have the folks had to touch up the repair after a period of time and how long?

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #312 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:01:17 am »
      Replace 100%.  But what makes you think it's the pump?

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #313 on: Nov 27, 2017, 10:41:48 am »
      1. Would you reccomend doing the repair or just getting a new pump? (seems like a new pump housing would fail the same just a matter of time?)
      2. I saw drilling the ends of the crack before sealing/welding would be a good idea?
      3. Have the folks had to touch up the repair after a period of time and how long?

Which is it? The fuel pump or the fuel pump housing. The fuel pump is relatively cheap to replace but the housing is expensive. Many have tried to repair the housing but it doesn't last very long, and eventually it needs replacing.
      One of only around 85 or so Raider Owners in the UK

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #314 on: Nov 27, 2017, 11:15:19 am »

Which is it? The fuel pump or the fuel pump housing. The fuel pump is relatively cheap to replace but the housing is expensive. Many have tried to repair the housing but it doesn't last very long, and eventually it needs replacing.
      The fuel pump and housing are all one unit - nobody has been able to find the housing sold separately.