Author Topic: Starter Clutch Gone bad?  (Read 31845 times)

Adan

Starter Clutch Gone bad?
« on: Feb 01, 2010, 06:39:05 am »
Thanks Madcow for suggesting a new thread before it got lost within the lifter thread.  :)

My Raider started making a new sound at the 3k mile mark. On MLK day I took it out for a brief 200 mile ride around San Antonio and other neighboring cities, came home garaged it, it sounded fine idling in the garage before I turned it off. On that Saturday when I went for a group ride, it started up normally, and within 20 seconds, I did not hear a "knocking" sound but almost a "whining" sound, it'd stop for a few seconds, and whine again and I noticed each time it'd "whine" the blinkers would start to flicker.

I took it to Kent's Powersports @ Yamaha on IH35, and none of the service people have heard that sound on a Raider before, and at the time all were dumbfounded on what it could be, at first one of the service guys tried to blame it on my Airspike, I just blinked at him and said it's just for show and told him about the airbox, and I got another dumbfound look then told him I've had the spike now for 4 months with no incident.

After 3 days at the shop, I get a call saying it's the "Starter clutch" they ordered me the parts and they'll call me once it's ready. The guy didn't sound to sure of himself when I started questioning him about starter clutches and why would that effect electrical when it has to do with keeping the RPM's undercontrol.

I donno, I'm upset but it's under warranty. I do have an AVI file I recorded on my camera that captured the "whining" and flickering. Once I figure out how to convert it to a file less than 70mbs I'll repost so Yall can take a listen and look.

Was able to upload the Vid onto Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVYBnt8mEG0
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010, 06:43:12 am by Adan »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ro-NTX

• 2009 Raider
    • Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
      • AllGone services
    Re: Starter Clutch Gone bad?
    « Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:12:03 am »
    this is weird,  especially those lights flickering too.
    God bless you all and Ride save

Roland

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
    • Global Moderator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 5
    « Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:32:33 am »
    Alternator. Replace the alternator. 
    I had the same sound on my 'liner when I had the turn signals on.  It comes from the alternator.  Betcha!

• Advertisement

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:20:06 pm »
      No, it's definitely the air spike, that's why I've never installed one. It directly relates to the noise and the blinker systems. Yamaha won't stand behind them if you put one of those spikes on. OK ok B.S. Can you believe that someone at a Yamaha dealership who works on bikes for a living would actually say something like that?! At first it may sound funny, but when you think about it, it's not. I would go with TR John on this one, makes the most sense to me, and he has had the experience of it happening to him. Let us know the outcome, when they find it, it's part of what makes this forum so good.  :raider:
      RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

renhalt

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:33:15 pm »
      Alternator, I had a starter clutch go out on a vstar 1100 and it sounds nothing like that. By the way the vstar 1100's are notorious for bad starter clutches and Yamaha will not cover it and it is a $750.00 repair. Yamaha told us it is caused by giving the bike throttle while trying to start it, sounds like BS to me. But what do we know, we just buy the bikes and ride them HUH! If I were to guess, I would agree with the alternator. Keep us posted as to what the out come is and good luck.

JRW09Raider

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:49:03 pm »
      if i were a bettn man i'd say alternator....i've worked on vehicles that had a similar sound when the alternator was takn a dump....bad brushes...bearings shot....etc......i know its not a car....but it sure sounds dang close.....but i dunno...that spike could definately cause that.......HA....if some tech told me that crap i'd of probabaly pissed my pants in laughter!!!

Budzo

• 2014 ROM Winner
      • Warrior
      « Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:56:13 pm »
      Why wasn't your headlight on?  Replace your headlight bulb!!!  All Raiders will make that noise if you run it without the  headlight installed.  I don't know why, but the electrical schematics on these bikes will make you scratch your heads.  Any Warrior owners familiar with the "click of death"?  I think that noise is the decompression solenoid going goofy without the drawing voltage of the headlight.  Or something related to the relay that keeps the headlight off while the decompression solenoid is doing it's thing at start up, or it's the alternator.

All I know for sure, my bike makes that same noise when I run it without the headlight plugged in!!!!!

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010, 04:16:17 pm by Budzo »

BIGdaddy03 aka THE K-9 SLAYER

• DO WE HAVE A NEW PRESIDENT YET?
      • Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 04:19:28 pm »
      WELL..... my bike does the same thing when it's cold out (under 55 degrees ) and battery is weak, after the engine warms a little and the battery comes up it stops.  i know it ain't the spike cause i don't have 1 !    :D     note: i have never noticed it doing it when it's warm out and battery weak, nor does it do it when the battery is charged when it's cold.
      I HOPE ALL THE DEMOCRATS AND CONSERVATIONIST LOVE THIS $4.50 A GALLON GAS

T-Bird

• Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:26:39 pm »
      Well, your blinkers are acting up because the blinker fluid is probably low and it'll start to whine when the horn belt gets stretched out.

If I had a service tech tell me it was probably the "non-functioning" air spike, I'd find a different shop PRONTO!
      Red meat is not bad for you.
      Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:31:09 pm »
      I think this is easily fixed... The SAC on the right side is throwing the fluid level in the blinkers.  Add yet another SAC to the left side for counterbalance.    ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Ro-NTX

• 2009 Raider
      • Warrior
        • AllGone services
      « Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:45:15 pm »
       :rotfl: you guy's crack me up
      God bless you all and Ride save

Roland

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »
      I think this is easily fixed... The SAC on the right side is throwing the fluid level in the blinkers.  Add yet another SAC to the left side for counterbalance.    ;D
      T! I think you on to something here......counterbalance with another SAC...on the left side......I think thats it!!
      RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:12:38 am »
      R D R D RRRR..  :wtf: yall are nutz..! Sounds like the alternator to me too. I would think you could put a voltage tester on the accessory plug while running, to check voltage?
      « Last Edit: Feb 02, 2010, 06:15:08 am by Madcow »
      "Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
      May your road be smooth yet twisty.
      Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
      I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
      And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

Adan

« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:43:42 pm »
      The dealership replaced the starter clutch, low and behold the sound remains. I then spoke of the alternator, which he corrected me saying "generator" to check the voltage, he gave me his thanks, and said he'll relay that to his floor manager, and they'll call me. /shrugs

Hopefully someone will check the alternator. I am still Raiderless, and this Saturday looks to be the only day there is to be no rain, at San Antonio. /sighs

Budzo

• 2014 ROM Winner
      • Warrior
      « Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:48:56 pm »
      Adan,

When I watched your video on Youtube, I noticed your headlight was not on while the bike was running.  This is not right.  Your headlight should be on.  Please call your shop and have them verify if the headlight is on while your bike is running.  The sound your hearing occurs when the bike is running without the headlight drawing power.  Trust me.

If anyone else would like to hear this sound first hand, unplug your headlight and start your bike.

Rich.