Author Topic: Starter Clutch Gone bad?  (Read 31393 times)

bhodge

• www.tejasmotorsports.com
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 1
    • Tejas Motorsports
Re: Starter Clutch Gone bad?
« Reply #45 on: Sep 06, 2010, 10:46:48 pm »
Load equilizers can be used and hidden under the tank or seat.

Brent

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Tail dragger

• Raider
    « Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:28:44 am »
    I installed a Diamond Star Headlight Modulator and get the noise when I first pull out of the garage and the modulator kicks in.  Doesn't do it at start up in the garage (darker there and the eye reverts it back to the standard mode).  Once I get underway, doesn't seem to make any noise.  Thought at first it might be that the battery is slightly down, but even does it when I've had it on the battery tender.  Just one of those things I guess. 

msoos113

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #47 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:29:55 am »
    I upgraded to a PIAA bulb putting out almost double of the stock bulb with absolutely no noise. Have plenty of LEDs and Kuryakyn driving lights on mine as well, all with no noise.  :shrug:
    All I know is my time is coming, gonna hang on for all I'm worth, I just wanna be here with you, on my last day on Earth.

• Advertisement

bhodge

• Roadliner
        • Tejas Motorsports
      « Reply #48 on: Dec 11, 2010, 01:01:30 pm »
      I upgraded to a PIAA bulb putting out almost double of the stock bulb with absolutely no noise. Have plenty of LEDs and Kuryakyn driving lights on mine as well, all with no noise.  :shrug:

It comes from not enough load, not too much...By removing all of the blinkers and replacing them with integrated LED, you lessen the load.

Brent

Rick Busbea

• I call her Ruby....
      • AZ Group
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:12:18 pm »
      I can attest to the sound being directly related to an electrical issue and not mechanical. I blew a fuse and about 2 minutes later, the starter clutch starting making strange noises. Replaced the fuse and the noise stopped (headlight was inop at the time).

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #50 on: Dec 15, 2010, 02:32:46 am »
      I can attest to the sound being directly related to an electrical issue and not mechanical. I blew a fuse and about 2 minutes later, the starter clutch starting making strange noises. Replaced the fuse and the noise stopped (headlight was inop at the time).
      Was it the starter clutch?  I thought we had determined it was the generator.

RiotRaider

• Drive it like you stole it...
      • Road Star
      « Reply #51 on: Dec 20, 2010, 11:15:30 pm »
      Alternator. Replace the alternator. 
      I had the same sound on my 'liner when I had the turn signals on.  It comes from the alternator.  Betcha!

i was gonna say the same thing because of the lights...
      Μολὼν λαβέ   "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."

Mark Twain

RiotRaider

• Drive it like you stole it...
      • Road Star
      « Reply #52 on: Dec 20, 2010, 11:20:56 pm »
      I can't beleive they have never heard of it!  I have the questions asked 3 times a week.  Budzo is correct about unplugging the headlight.  If you add anything to your electrical system it will do it.  Our shop was one of the first back in 07 working on resolving this issue for Yamaha.  We have tried everything, but it boils down to the stator and how sensitive the charging system is.  Once I added my HID, it does it.  It does not hurt anything, we have pulled the stator out to check for "wear" on bikes with 30,000 miles and no issues.  I could go on for days on this issue.  Go pick up your bike and ride it, no worries.  If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email me.  If your dealer would have called the tech line, they would have told them it was not the starter clutch!LOL!

Brent
      [email protected]
      281-426-8591

no worries ??? no offense to the owner but it sounds like shit...i wouldnt just ride like that
      Μολὼν λαβέ   "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."

Mark Twain

bhodge

• Roadliner
        • Tejas Motorsports
      « Reply #53 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »

no worries ??? no offense to the owner but it sounds like shit...i wouldnt just ride like that
      [/quote]

If you leave your bike stock, you will not have this issue.  So the question is, do you want HID, LEDs, or light modulators? If that is the case, then that is a trait of this charging system.  Yamaha will not warranty something if it works as they designed it to work.  If you modify the bike and it causes something to change other than the way it was designed from the factory, you may have to live with the consequences....

Stigmata

• V Star
      « Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 10:12:18 am »
      Well, your blinkers are acting up because the blinker fluid is probably low and it'll start to whine when the horn belt gets stretched out.

If I had a service tech tell me it was probably the "non-functioning" air spike, I'd find a different shop PRONTO!

LMAO!
      OK, ok, shut the $uck up and lets ride already!

Chris

Chance13

• Warrior
      « Reply #55 on: Jun 26, 2012, 09:30:53 am »
      And around we gooooooo....... O8O

Put it in the wind, everyday is a good day to ride, if you have a
       RAIDER!!!!!

Raidercruz

• I enjoy adventure, travel, MOTO GP,Tennessee VOLS
      • Road Star
      « Reply #56 on: Jul 02, 2014, 12:36:01 am »
      When I  had my tank off for paint I had that same whining sound. I had disconnected the headlight connector under the tank and headlight
      was off. Once I plugged it back in the sound stopped.

Raidercruz
      proud to be a  "SEAROAR " member

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #57 on: Jul 02, 2014, 06:47:17 am »
      ...back from the dead....lol, just playin.
      I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

Stevemo57

• V Star
      « Reply #58 on: Aug 17, 2016, 08:12:46 pm »
       I know this is an old post but wanted to put my two cents in. The headlight theory kind of makes sense, I just put an LED headlight in and my noise started. Going to switch back and see what happens. Is there and "fix" in order to run the LED headlight?

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #59 on: Aug 17, 2016, 08:17:17 pm »
      I know this is an old post but wanted to put my two cents in. The headlight theory kind of makes sense, I just put an LED headlight in and my noise started. Going to switch back and see what happens. Is there and "fix" in order to run the LED headlight?
      Add a load resistor