Author Topic: Engine whine....  (Read 6679 times)

gRimmM7_62

• One of a kind! Oh, uhmmmmm, the bike not me!
  • 2014 ROM Winner
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Engine whine....
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2013, 09:17:20 pm »
When I'm in gear or neutral with turn signal going there is no difference in the noise. Also, at idle there is no noise.
A bad tactic properly executed is better then a good tactic poorly executed!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

gRimmM7_62

• 2014 ROM Winner
    • Roadliner
    « Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2013, 09:18:24 pm »
    Might be interesting to hit the brights and hold the brake while you rev it and see if there is a change.
    If it is the lack of load somewhere this should alter the sound - maybe?

Ill try this in the morning.

the urban legend

• Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2013, 06:29:43 am »
    I also have that whine.Kinda like constant whistling that gets higher in pitch as the RPMs go up.It's been like that ever since I bought the Raider 2 years ago and doesn't seem to affect anything.I've never seen another Raider in person (apart from the sleeping beauties on the showroom floor) so I never did a side by side comparison.My Virago had a similar noise for all 19 years that I owned it (and I did replace the stator and voltage regulator) so I figured it was a normal thing.But if somebody knows how to get rid of it I'd be happy to try the fix...
    I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

• Advertisement

Fj_Ohio

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2013, 06:50:32 am »
      My Raider also has the slight whine to it which is normal. I don't hear it anymore since changing out the pipes probably because they drown it out.
      In the video it does seem louder than normal but it's so hard to tell. Maybe the best thing to do is just cruise by a good Yamaha dealer and ask a mechanic listen to it. Can't cost anything just to listen to it.
      FJ

gRimmM7_62

• 2014 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2013, 10:50:25 am »
      Tried  the brake, turn signal and hi beam while reving and didn't change it one bit. This was even on initial startup this morning and when I got to work. Guess I'm headed to a stealer this afternoon to see about it.

BK

• 2009 Raven Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Warrior
      « Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2013, 11:41:35 am »
      My bike also makes a whine and gets louder with higher rpm's. Yours does seem to be louder than my bike though. I took it to two different dealers and both mechanics said that was normal. I road my buddies Stratoliner 1900 and his makes the same noise as mine. Another buddy of mine has a v star 1100 and his does it too. 

gRimmM7_62

• 2014 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2013, 12:05:38 pm »
      My bike also makes a whine and gets louder with higher rpm's. Yours does seem to be louder than my bike though. I took it to two different dealers and both mechanics said that was normal. I road my buddies Stratoliner 1900 and his makes the same noise as mine. Another buddy of mine has a v star 1100 and his does it too.

Im cool with that but there has to be a reason. With that high of a pitch, it really doesn't seem normal. Ill eventually learn this engine well enough to figure it out. Now fixing it myself would be another story :cus:

Brianheartline

• Keep the shinny side up and the rubber on the road
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2013, 03:39:14 pm »
      After I started up this morning I listened and mine also has a whine. Seems normal to me. I guess I could bring along some cheese to go with the whine :D

Tail dragger

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2013, 03:43:03 pm »
      Not sure as I'm not mechanical, but think the "whine" is drive train related.  Mine has it and has since I got it.  Makes the same noise at speed if you are in neutral and at idle, so assume it's just the belt and drive "whining away".

Brianheartline

• Keep the shinny side up and the rubber on the road
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #24 on: Aug 21, 2013, 03:45:32 pm »
      Not sure as I'm not mechanical, but think the "whine" is drive train related.  Mine has it and has since I got it.  Makes the same noise at speed if you are in neutral and at idle, so assume it's just the belt and drive "whining away".

I think it's just the alternator. They do make a little noise

gRimmM7_62

• 2014 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #25 on: Aug 21, 2013, 06:19:58 pm »
      Alternator is exactly what the dealer said this afternoon. Service manager stated the few they have worked on had "the whine". He also stated that mine was really not that bad. So, I'm guessing its a dead issue for now....... untill I figure it out, haha.

BK

• 2009 Raven Raider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Warrior
      « Reply #26 on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:45:02 pm »
      Alternator is exactly what the dealer said this afternoon. Service manager stated the few they have worked on had "the whine". He also stated that mine was really not that bad. So, I'm guessing its a dead issue for now....... untill I figure it out, haha.

Let me know if you ever figure it out.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:52:41 pm »
       :agree:  I want to know too
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

Hoser

• Hoser
      • 2012 ROM Winner
      • Road Star
      « Reply #28 on: Aug 22, 2013, 12:58:43 am »
      I had that same whistle noise on mine until I removed the IAC Valve which controls and modulates the air intake.
      When listening to the video the only time you hear the whistle is when you are giving the motor fuel, the IAC controls the air intake as per the fuel injection system so I believe what you are hearing are the valves opening to allow air in to the system.
      Since removing mine and capping the air intake ports on the throttle bodies I've eliminated the whistle, of course no dealer will think of this or even recommend doing it because you are altering the normal mechanics of the bike.
      I've added the Barons air intake and have a fuel pak so the only thing I had to do is manually adjust and set the idle of the bike. Once you eliminate the IAC the bike can only suck air naturally through the exposed filters.
      Hope this makes sense, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in cause I've done the mod which has been talked about on this forum for some time and found it worked.
      Cheers,

gRimmM7_62

• 2014 ROM Winner
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #29 on: Aug 22, 2013, 10:48:28 am »
      Is there a step by step of this somewhere?