Author Topic: What I've learned in 250,000 miles of riding motorcycles.  (Read 50122 times)

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 6
Re: What I've learned in 250,000 miles of riding motorcycles.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:11:57 pm »
Get your witness doc's signed, as often as possible with the odo' readings, time, place, and who your witness was at each stop. No credit without the signatures. It takes a little convincing that they're not on the hook for some costs or liability. Look me up when you come across here cuz I'm almost in your route, stay with Kim and I. I'm pinned on the members map for you to see our location. quote author=Mr. T link=topic=4329.msg83137#msg83137 date=1268231001]
Some great advice... thanks.  I'm sure I'll be looking this up again prior to my iron butt ride to see the shuttle launch.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2010, 05:14:35 pm by gostr8r »
I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

RaiderTN

• SEA-ROAR member
    • Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:17:37 pm »
    great stuff gostr8r, especially for guys like me with hardly any miles under em... especially compared to 250,000
    '08 Raven Raider... my wallet has it stock and plain right now, but in my heads its pretty sweet

gostr8r

• Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:20:34 pm »
    Space permitting, you might also pack a container of injector cleaner. I got gas at Kennedy Space Center twice and both times it clogged up my injectors. The cleaner from Walmart cleared it up tho. It's not so much the brand you buy, as it is the high sale volumes on the pumps to keep the underground fuel fresh and not stale. Avoid the stations that do little business if you can, even if the price is lower. It could cause you the same glitch I had. Shame on me for doing it twice!
    From someone that has ridden as many miles as you, it's golden advise!

All of it good. The one thing I would probably never have thought of is the octane boost, and I can see where it would come in handy. Even here last year on a ride, I had to put in $5 of regular to get me to the next 'real' gas station.

Thanks Ray
    I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

• Advertisement

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:22:54 pm »
      The great thing about this forum is the help you'll get from some of the most active members. It only promotes good will among the brothers and sisters here and spills over on to the streets if we're really unselfish. Pass it on my friend!
      great stuff gostr8r, especially for guys like me with hardly any miles under em... especially compared to 250,000

MYWORLD

• MY BABY!!
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:35:06 pm »
      I cant wait to meet up this summer!!!! Problem is will be tough to let ya get to your next stop I'll want to pick your brain like crazy!!!
      SEA-ROAR MEMBER

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:43:05 pm »
      Help, I'm talking and I can't shut up! That's a warning MYWORLD. Cranes and M/C's are endless subjects of discussion for me. We'll get as much in as chat as possible and maybe some riding too to see your great town and roads. quote author=MYWORLD link=topic=4329.msg83390#msg83390 date=1268264106]
      I cant wait to meet up this summer!!!! Problem is will be tough to let ya get to your next stop I'll want to pick your brain like crazy!!!
      [/quote]

MYWORLD

• MY BABY!!
      • Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:45:04 pm »
      Help, I'm talking and I can't shut up! That's a warning MYWORLD. Cranes and M/C's are endless subjects of discussion for me. We'll get as much in as chat as possible and maybe some riding too to see your great town and roads. quote author=MYWORLD link=topic=4329.msg83390#msg83390 date=1268264106]
      [/quote]
      I'm looking forward to it!!! Wifey gonna be to Prego by then to rid ewith me anymore so I cant wait for some season veteran lessons from ya!!! LOL
      SEA-ROAR MEMBER

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:51:25 pm »
      Excellent, and congrats on the newbie too! 

MYWORLD

• MY BABY!!
      • Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:51:47 pm »
      Excellent, and congrats on the newbie too! 
      Thank you sir!!!
      SEA-ROAR MEMBER

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2010, 06:54:12 pm »
      I can't take credit for all this stuff but will share it. I had made laminated maps of each day's ride on a separate sheet with written turn by turns, and distances on the opposite sides. I got a folder with a clear cover and had Kim keep me up to date as we rode along. She would change out the map every day accordingly and it was always right there on her lap in the book bag. I use a fuel bung to top off so I don't get the back splashes. If I calculate the amount close enough and pay cash the pumps slows down for the last 50 cents too. I also put the gas cap on the right grip between the throttle and the brake lever so it doesn't fall off and get scratched or contaminated. It's a good tight fit up there. I'll turn the wheel fully left just before it stops rolling to avoid the grinding of the tire tread in one spot each time and to make room for the nozzle. On the full left turn thought , Do something to remind your self not to pull away from a parked spot with the forks locked! It's a no brainer, but many seasoned riders have made the same dumb move, me included, and paid the price for it. Leather saddle bags are over rated. I had Willie Max bags for 10 years and they still looked better than any leather ones after their 1st year! You can wash the PVC bags. Key trinkets and gadgets that touch the chrome switch cover will scratch it up eventually, and you'll be sorry you didn't just keep a single key on a small ring. Same with the popular fork bags on bikes with OEM length tubes. They do scuff and mark up the fender paint unless you take measures with some soft material to protect it. It's a subtle but sure scraping and rubbing of your clear coat. If you have ass length hair I recommend you keep it tucked in the back of your shirt. 2 reasons, first it doesn't fray and end up like a barrel cleaner from whipping around and secondly wifey can't use it as a rev limiter when you want to have a little freshly well done smoked HOG. I'm a big fan of heated garments now that I've tried them. If that's too pricey then layered outfits top and bottom help and the hot pockets on the inside pockets of your jackets and in the boots help some too. Kim keeps here's in her mittens for at least 12 hours. She has a blue tongue and no circulation at all. My little frozen Butter Ball Turkey! A rain suit blocks some of the cold air and can save you some packing space in a pinch. Ear plugs help in the cold if you ride with a half lid or none at all. I have some spring loaded ear muffs that will stay on too but my fav is the lined and quilted aviators cap that covers the whole head, sides of the face and forehead too. I also use a lined face mask. In a pinch on the side of the road you can jack your bike up off the ground. I get something to put under the right side of the frame as I push the bike hard over against the kick stand, then go around to the left side and repeat the process with the same amount of wood or a covered brick as you push the bike hard over to the exhaust side. When you let it go the bike will be elevated enough to spin a wheel. Once in desperation I backed over a curb to bottom out my Pan head, so I could rebuild the wheel cylinder on the side of the road. It was 25 degrees and I still had 500 miles to go with a broken left foot. It was 19 degrees when i rolled in at the AF Base at 3 am. Help another rider that's down on the side of the road! I met most of my friends for the first 22 years when I was broke down with my HD's. It helped me become more effective at repairs but met some cool people too. Do something on your ride to help others any way. I'm ashamed that I haven't stepped up earlier in a Pennies Of Passion type effort on my other 6 trips. The traveling flag is a start that will grow and touch the lives of many and who knows what will come from that. Plan for a new rear tire on a ride of more that 8K or so. The roads surfaces, temps, speeds and hard mountain carving and starts and stops take they're toll early. Take a small assortment of inexpensive gifts for some of the brothers that you'll meet on the road. That could be our RSR drop cards, a tiny piece of something that he can use, like an O ring or cap to a swing arm axle nut from a quart of Amzoil. It dates the moment and helps you remember each other's meeting for the 1st time. I keep a long skinny feather duster in the bags to brush off the dust that settles everyday at work and where ever. It really helps.  More to came later my friends!

soto

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:00:35 pm »
      wow gostr8r had alot to say huh
      soto

SEA-ROAR Member

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:02:36 pm »
      Hey Ray,
      Copy, paste, print!!! Thanx Bro. Have you thought about writing a book?

Did you get a chance to look at "Chuckanut Drive" yet?

RSR
      RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

RaiderTN

• SEA-ROAR member
      • Road Star
      « Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:08:32 pm »
      more great stuff! hey gostr8r, any tips on the difference or what to expect when transitioning from single to two up riding?
      '08 Raven Raider... my wallet has it stock and plain right now, but in my heads its pretty sweet

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:17:36 pm »
      can we sticky this.....I read all of that and would love
      it to be readily available...please!!

RaiderTN

• SEA-ROAR member
      • Road Star
      « Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:28:43 pm »
       :agree: I'd second that...