Author Topic: What I've learned in 250,000 miles of riding motorcycles.  (Read 58260 times)

Motodad393

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 1
Re: What I've learned in 250,000 miles of riding motorcycles.
« Reply #60 on: Mar 15, 2010, 01:39:34 pm »
Cool post with some good info.  I have been riding for 40+ years, mostly off-road and recently went for it and bought my Raider S. 

For me living in a big city - Houston, TX I try NEVER to ride in a blind spot and I accelerate through them as I come upon them.  Going through the city a rider must be aggressive, alert and aware of who is behind them.  I ride a bit faster than the flow of traffic to "stay ahead" and try and leave myself an out.  If this is not possible, I follow way behind, or take another route.  Fortunately, the Raider can "get around" rather nicely by using the twist of the right wrist - as needed.

I usually use the bright light riding in the city and on roads with uncontrolled egress.  I remain amazed at how many car drivers just fail to see bikes.  The number of incompetent drivers amazes me.

Ride Safe All!   :raider: 

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 6
    « Reply #61 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:49:55 pm »
    You got that right! Not 1 but 3 of my friends were badly injured last week coming home from Daytona. In each case an oncoming car turned left right directly in front of their bikes, and they all hit the passenger side of the cars to avoid the face plant in the windshield scenario. Nordicsoul is in therapy now with enough titanium hardware in his right side to make a small bike. They think he won't walk for 3 months. Then he'll get a new raider to replace the totaled one. These wake up calls come so often and so close to home too. Let's all heed the warnings brothers and sisters!
    I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

gostr8r

• Raider
    « Reply #62 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:51:16 pm »
    Just the kinda smbch I am. :D
    No don't really want to visit 'em, just letting you know they're so close to home.
    Why thank you Ray.
    I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

• Advertisement

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #63 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:46:21 pm »
      I hear ya Ray...it is sad and disturbing but I will be thinking
      of them.....mostly digger cuz he is the only one I know and
      the only other silver we ride with... :(

MYWORLD

• MY BABY!!
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 8
      « Reply #64 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:25:38 pm »
      You got that right! Not 1 but 3 of my friends were badly injured last week coming home from Daytona. In each case an oncoming car turned left right directly in front of their bikes, and they all hit the passenger side of the cars to avoid the face plant in the windshield scenario. Nordicsoul is in therapy now with enough titanium hardware in his right side to make a small bike. They think he won't walk for 3 months. Then he'll get a new raider to replace the totaled one. These wake up calls come so often and so close to home too. Let's all heed the warnings brothers and sisters!
      I wish em my best!!!!!!!
      SEA-ROAR MEMBER

Defender Bob

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #65 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:02:19 pm »

Man that definitely sucks!  Those cagers need to watch out!  I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
      "Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." - Babe Ruth

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #66 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:19:30 pm »
      Thanks folks, on his behalf, and he would appreciate it too. I've been hit twice in 30 years and still have all my limbs pointing in the direction that they're supposed to point. LOL. I think I've mellowed some on the road compared to 10 years ago when I left the dark side [HD's] and finally got a bike that would outrun a pedestrian LOL!. I went apes nuts and raced anyone that tickled their throttles in my presence.  Got to be more selective as time went on and my bikes got faster. Hope to make it till I'm so old that there's no place on the continent that I haven't ridden to. And do more Pennies of Passion Rides each summer from a different exotic place back to the Rally. I'm soooo stoked and ready for it to happen this year!

Cruiser

• Road Star
      « Reply #67 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »
      Ray I am sorry to hear about your friend. My prayers for him too.
      Riding can be therapeutic

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      « Reply #68 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:32:12 pm »
      Thanks folks, on his behalf, and he would appreciate it too. I've been hit twice in 30 years and still have all my limbs pointing in the direction that they're supposed to point. LOL. I think I've mellowed some on the road compared to 10 years ago when I left the dark side [HD's] and finally got a bike that would outrun a pedestrian LOL!. I went apes nuts and raced anyone that tickled their throttles in my presence.  Got to be more selective as time went on and my bikes got faster. Hope to make it till I'm so old that there's no place on the continent that I haven't ridden to. And do more Pennies of Passion Rides each summer from a different exotic place back to the Rally. I'm soooo stoked and ready for it to happen this year!
      Were ready to have it happen too!!!

Sorry about your friends, will keep them in my prayers tonight.

RSR
      RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #69 on: Mar 19, 2010, 05:31:31 pm »
      I hate to admit it but I got bit by the same act of stupidity twice in just 3 weeks. What did I learn? That just because you put something in your saddle bags doesn't meant it's secure or ok. During the Rat's Hole Custom Bike Show I put my nerd cam in the left bag but evidently put something on top of it a with a little too much pressure. Later that night riding back to camp getting some real good vid's behind my friends on their oil spewing Knuckleheads, the camera mount just broke in half and the video camera flew off the bike at 60mph. A total loss and the card was gone too. Well last night, leaving another bike show, I was packing my 1st Place Trophy Plaque in the same bag while talking to some droolers. I didn't notice that my leftover Jim's Dirty Taters were on top, in a bag and laying on they're side leaking all the delicious oil and sauce onto the plaque and adhesives that held the ornaments and inscriptions on it. Rode home in a light rain, grabbed the plaque in the dark garage and brought in to show Kim. I noticed that the entire top portion of the plaque [the Eagles head and US Flag and Banner] was out of place, so I tried to pry up on the corner to loosen the adhesive to reposition it, and it actually POPPED off suddenly. It flew across the kitchen counter and hit the tile floor in a dozen pieces. My good mood changed very fast! :'(
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2010, 05:34:15 pm by gostr8r »

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      « Reply #70 on: Mar 19, 2010, 05:43:27 pm »
      Dam the luck Bro!! That will put your ego in check in a hurry!! :'(
      RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #71 on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:49:35 pm »
      Well now that I've taken a closer look at the trophy presentation photo I see that the big piece that flew off was already crooked when I got it. I must have been distracted by some other things that were warm, soft and that smelled nice. So it wasn't the taters after all.
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2010, 07:56:54 pm by gostr8r »

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      « Reply #72 on: Mar 20, 2010, 01:31:40 am »
      Well, its a nice pic of the bike, trophy, and those warm, smelly things you're talking about!  ;D :raider:

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #73 on: Mar 31, 2010, 03:59:00 pm »
      When riding in the rain wrap the right thigh and upper calf with something, like a velcro strap to keep the material off the rear pipe. My brand new rain suit melted to the pipe after a 500 mile ride in the rain. I was pushing the bike, from a seated position, up under Mom's front porch so I wouldn't wake anyone up at 2am. The leg just hit the pipe and was instant toast. I didn't know about bronze wool then either.

cdnraider09

• Raider
      « Reply #74 on: Apr 26, 2010, 12:09:22 pm »
      I've learned a couple things in the 6500 miles I have rode in my life (on my raider, which was my first motorcycle) and that is never trust anyone in a car, and steer clear from "hardley" riders at or near bike rallies they always seem to be intoxicated and end up laying bikes down.