Author Topic: What I've learned in 250,000 miles of riding motorcycles.  (Read 59786 times)

1starraider

• Why so serious?
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Re: What I've learned in 250,000 miles of riding motorcycles.
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2010, 08:44:42 pm »
 Ghost, that is good advise. When did you had a Worrier.
[img]http://www.roadstarraid

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 6
    « Reply #76 on: May 07, 2010, 09:53:33 pm »
     I had my Warrior from May of '03 to Sept of '08. No regrets there either. A great bike and was going to be the bike I'd be taking on this trip in July, but then the Raider came out and I instantly was hooked!
    Ghost, that is good advise. When did you had a Worrier.
    I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

Rick Busbea

• I call her Ruby....
    • AZ Group
    • Warrior
    • Referrals: 3
    « Reply #77 on: May 08, 2010, 10:55:12 am »
    gostr8r: You've probably answered this already, but how many miles have you logged on your Raider? Also, what kind of maintenance (routine or repair) have you had done in those miles?

Thanks for all the info. I think a lot of guys look to you for your opinion because of your experience level - I know I do.  :)  The wife and I are preparing for our first major road trip (L.A. to K.C.) in mid-June and your tips/lessons learned have already proven very valuable in preparing.  Thanks again.

• Advertisement

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #78 on: May 08, 2010, 02:51:07 pm »
      Most welcome brother, that's why just I posted it. Knowing there were a lot of people headed out for the first time and can learn from my mistakes and experience. I'm still a newbie on the Raider tho, with a mere 27,000 miles in the 18 months of riding it. Many on our forum have logged much more than I so no bragging rights for me there. Thanks tho. I do my own oil and filter changes and have a magnetic disc on the end of the oil filter to pull the microscopic metal dust in the oil to one end and keeps the filter element cleaner too. Also check my tire pressures, [don't use Armour All on the treads] belt alignment and tension, fastener torques and lights, lube the pivot points on the levers, keep the filters clean by using the K&N products. I use a 91 octane or better only from a station that does ALOT of business, since gas goes stale and gets water fouled in those lesser productive storage tanks. Algae can grow and even thrive in fuel products too. I give it a treat every now and then of some well done pavement smoked pork too to keep it young. I keep it dusted before wiping it down to not wipe the dirt into the paint. Use fine grade BRONZE wool to get the smudges and accidental heel marks off the chrome. Use a leaf blower to knock off most of the water after a good deusching and a soap that doesn't strip the quality wax coat off. Having a Red bike, [arguably the very fastest followed by those Ravens, Tommy Blues and the Liquid Silvers] I don't leave it parked in direct sunlight any longer than I need to . The red colors are faster to fade than those slower colors are. I take what ever time I need to get it cleaned up and looking good for the drooler's that are out there. Last but not least ride it as much and safely as possible.
      I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

Rick Busbea

• I call her Ruby....
      • AZ Group
      • Warrior
      « Reply #79 on: May 10, 2010, 01:58:14 am »
       :D :D :D Yep, Red ones are the fastest.  :D :D :D

A mere 27K? I might give you a run for that mileage - I'm at 9500 now (since Sep 09), am driving to KC next month, and the wife has fallen in love with Ruby as well and wants to ride as much as possible. Who knows how many miles I'll have on her this time next year.

Thanks again for all the tips...very much appreciated by me, and I'm sure by many other "Harley Slayer" riders out there.

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #80 on: May 10, 2010, 03:29:30 am »
      You're welcome. Glad to hear another member has a sweetie that wants to ride. So many have ladies that can take it or leave it .

Rick Busbea

• I call her Ruby....
      • AZ Group
      • Warrior
      « Reply #81 on: May 10, 2010, 07:21:59 pm »
      gostr8tr....keep me up-to-date on where you're riding. Who knows? Maybe we can meet somewhere and ride together for awhile.

Question for ya: What kind of pinion seat do you have and how does your wife like it? I'm getting the stocker reupholstered to widen and soften it. I'm also have him bolster the rear portion so it's squared off at the back. FNTMWLF had his done and his fiance really likes it. If Tracey don't care for it, guess I'll buy the Mustang Touring or the Corbin.  Wanted to get your opinion before plunking down that much dough.  8)

Wavz

• Roadliner
      « Reply #82 on: May 10, 2010, 08:37:29 pm »
      Wow what a lot of fun to read!! I have skipped over this thread many times for what reason I don't know. I am sure when I say this that most everyone one on this site would agree..."I wish Gostr8r lived next door to me." It would be nice to have someone with this much passion next door that you could run over with six pack and a nice bottle of wine for Kim and shoot the sh*t in the evenings. Your knowledge and gift of gab reminds me of my fathers. On our ride through the Lakes County of Minnesota we will stop by his place on the lake and you can meet him. I swear you two are two peas in a pod (and my wife says I am a chip off of the old block).

I look forward everyday to meet you in July when you come rolling through.

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #83 on: May 10, 2010, 08:55:04 pm »
      Man I'm glad you got  a chance to see tis particular thread. If I had all these warm, wise, funny, talented and cool members as neighbors I would probably never leave town! I had to bump it a time or two cuz so much is going on this great forum and so many things are covered. I have more to offer, but sleep calls at my age earlier than most, so you're right, I'm like your Dad. Hell, my son Jason is older than many of the the members I've met and I want to be just like him when I grow up too. I hope we can get some riding in up there but my mouth is always in gear. KIm usually reminds me. but I'll be on my own for most of this trip. So brothers and sisters tell me when it's time to 'Shut up and ride!"   :rant: :rant: :poke: :thinking: :umno: :blah:

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #84 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:21 pm »
      gostr8tr....keep me up-to-date on where you're riding. Who knows? Maybe we can meet somewhere and ride together for awhile.

Question for ya: What kind of pinion seat do you have and how does your wife like it? I'm getting the stocker reupholstered to widen and soften it. I'm also have him bolster the rear portion so it's squared off at the back. FNTMWLF had his done and his fiance really likes it. If Tracey don't care for it, guess I'll buy the Mustang Touring or the Corbin.  Wanted to get your opinion before plunking down that much dough.  8)

I did my own. My wife said it was uncomfortable - so I cut out the middle, put in two layers in memory foam, then covered the top seat in memory foam and she really noticed a difference

Rick Busbea

• I call her Ruby....
      • AZ Group
      • Warrior
      « Reply #85 on: May 12, 2010, 09:07:56 pm »
      dreadly: If your avatar is your wife, then she has all the "memory foam" she needs already!  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      « Reply #86 on: Jun 15, 2010, 01:50:23 am »
      Just reread this thread, as i'm leaving Friday with my son, Jason to Cal. Going to the NASCAR race at Infineon, on Sunday!!

RSR
      RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #87 on: Jun 25, 2010, 09:21:03 pm »
      What I've learned is about to be put to the test in less than a week now. I leave next Friday after work. Hope i'm prepared! :fingerscrossed:

Wavz

• Roadliner
      « Reply #88 on: Jun 25, 2010, 09:53:02 pm »
      I can't wait to meet you in person!!!

WilCon

• Search police and general nuisance.
      • Raider
      « Reply #89 on: Jun 25, 2010, 09:56:40 pm »
      Don't forget phone cards for those just incase moments.
      The above post is strictly the opinion of the poster, disregard as necessary.

If the above post is in RED then it was a moderator talking, you should pay attention.