Author Topic: How to install Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Pipes  (Read 10184 times)

sweet tea man

• The name....is Jeremy
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
How to install Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Pipes
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:13:34 pm »
What you'll need is a set of allen keys or a set of allen keys on a 3/8" drive for a rachet.  This will make life so much easier.  1/4 and 3/8" drive sockets and rachets. 

This is the way I did mine and since the instructions suck something fierce, I figured I would share.

The pipe install is very simple.  The main key is to loose fit it all first and let it hang.  tighten from there.

These little brackets(there are two of them)

werent mentioned in the instructions i have.

they slide into the back of the pipes that are welded together like this

this bracket bolts to where the original lower bracket bolted to for your factory exhaust, and also onto the back of those pipes that are welded together that you just slid those smaller double brackets into.

the two main pipes of the exhaust are pretty self explanatory on how they install.  again, install them loose.  Here, I went ahead and installed my o2 sensor.  there are two spots for the o2.  a large port and a smaller one.  Our bikes use the smaller one and the pipes come with a plug for the larger hole.  you can see i went ahead and installed it in the picture of the black bracket.

here is a shot of the o2 sensor

Before you slide the double pipe onto the front and rear pipe, there are two (one for each pipe) thick clamps that tighten down with an allen head.  loosen them as much as you can and slide them onto the double pipe at the end where the front and rear pipes will connect.  then slide the pipes that are welded together into the head pipe and the rear pipe.  With everything together, tighten down the clamps a little just to hold it all in place, and you will have two little spacers to install behind your big black bracket before you start the bolts at the bottom.  here are the spacers

by starting the bolts, you have everything holding in place.  I started with the front pipe and worked my way back, tightening everything as I went.  pretty self explanatory.

the heat shields slide on and then you have to get them at the right angle to pop onto the pipes themselves.  the rear pipe, make the clamp adjustments toward the top side of the bike.  an extra set of hands works wonders here(thanks again to my wife!)

The front pipe, it was easier to make all the adjustments toward the bottom.  The front pipe's upper most heat shield clamp i pointed toward the front of the bike it was a breeze to get to.

I hope this may help guys.  I tried to take pics of the important parts.

-Jeremy
If you have faith and a wife who always has your back, you can accomplish anything.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

sweet tea man

• The name....is Jeremy
    • Road Star
    Re: How to install Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Pipes
    « Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:19:38 pm »
    sorry guys!  i posted this in the techincal section and not the how to section.  can a mod or admin move it for me? 
    If you have faith and a wife who always has your back, you can accomplish anything.

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »
    Love these how to with pictures.  Makes things so much easier to understand.

• Advertisement

budaman

• Raider
      • Referrals: 10
      « Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:53:43 am »
      Wish I would have know when doing mine that you installed the heat shields on afterwards. I installed my freedoms with heat shields in tack was not so simple to do. Like Jeremy said the directions suck.
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

budaman

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:45:20 am »
      Jeremy were your pipes joined together with a cross over or were they separate.
      I believe the older version were two separate pipes from what I have been told
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

budaman

• Raider
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

bigsky5601

• LCDR, U.S. Navy (Ret)...LDO/Sailor Always
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:14:28 pm »
      Pipes look sharp.  Wish I had your "how to" w/pics when I did mine.  Enjoy em...I sure enjoy mine.

sweet tea man

• The name....is Jeremy
      • Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »
      Doing a write up tomorrow on how to yank the baffles.  These were by far the hardest set of baffles I've ever pulled

sweet tea man

• The name....is Jeremy
      • Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:47:20 pm »
      And thanks for the feedback guys!

BTW to the person who asked, the pipes were 3 pieces.  The front pipe, rear pipe and the 2nd half of the two pipes that were joined together by brackets.

budaman

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:41:39 pm »
      I found this bike that has cross over like mine I'm just curious if you have it to.
      I cropped the picture so you can see more of what I'm talking about it is just above aluminum foil in between the two pipes you will see something silver
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

sweet tea man

• The name....is Jeremy
      • Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
      I was wrong.  There is a crossover.  Its right where the o2 sensor goes. 

bosfan

• Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:54:50 pm »
      Thank you for the write up.
       I plan on putting the FP SCR on my bike this spring and this write up will really come in handy. My mechanical skills are on a basic level and I am going to attempt this myself bcuz I heard it is pretty simple. I was wodering if anyone could help me out with a few questions:

1 Do I need to use the OEM crush gaskets or is there a cheaper one that can be used? I really don't want to pay $12 a piece for 3 gaskets, but if I have to I will.
      2 Do I also need to unplug the o2 sensor under the seat or can I just take it out of the port and reinstall in new pipes? VH and Cobra instructions say to unplug from under the seat first.
      3 For the EXUP valve, I just loosen the jam nuts and remove the cables and leave everything else intact is that correct?

This will be my first attempt at this and I am just a little nervous so if anyone is willing to share their experience or advice I would greatly appreciate it. :-\

RuffRider

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:31:10 pm »
      You will be doing yourself a favor by unplugging the O2 sensor.  If it's still plugged in when you unscrew it from the exhaust the cable on the O2 sensor will twist and without the plug end of the cable being able to turn the wires in the O2 sensors will most likely be pulled out of their sockets. (There are four wires in there.)
      A new O2 sensor cost close to $160.00.

bosfan

• Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:10:59 am »
      You will be doing yourself a favor by unplugging the O2 sensor.  If it's still plugged in when you unscrew it from the exhaust the cable on the O2 sensor will twist and without the plug end of the cable being able to turn the wires in the O2 sensors will most likely be pulled out of their sockets. (There are four wires in there.)
      A new O2 sensor cost close to $160.00.
      I appreciate the tip. I will make sure to unplug the O2 sensor.
      Be safe riding!

sweet tea man

• The name....is Jeremy
      • Road Star
      « Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:58:06 pm »
      I used the gaskets that were already there.  Nothing wrong with em.

Unplug your o2 sensor.  It will help.

Yes you can. Do that with the ex up valve.  Or you can order the emulator from 12oclocklabs.com and eliminate it all together.  That's what I did.