Author Topic: How to install Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Pipes  (Read 14896 times)

Raptor85

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: How to install Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Pipes
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2015, 12:45:56 pm »
8)
Do you have a PCV installed?  If you do you don't need the 02 connected.  Just pug the 02 Eliminator that came with the PCV into the 02 Sensor slot.  Some have been able to reroute the wire but that all depends on the pipes you have.  With some it won't reach no matter how you reroute.  If you don't have a PCV it will not hurt to splice the wire to lengthen it.  Just make sure you use the same gauge wire to do it with.

Ok thanks.  No PCV installed, was looking at the PCIII up for sale in the classifieds but not sure the 3 has the O2 eliminator.  No funds for a PCV right now as I just got new Hard Bags, Pipes, Fairing and stereo equipment.  So I guess splicing it is.

I helped a buddy install these pipes last week on his Raider.  I unplugged the O2 sensor from the post under the seat and rerouted it to fit.  It was a tight fit and the wires couldn't move another 1/16 of an inch without stretching it, but you don't have to splice.

I looked at that and thought it would work but could not get that receiver end off the post.  Was afraid of breaking it somehow.  Any tips on getting it off that post or just brute force?
No brute force.  There is a clip you need to push and pull it back towards the rear of the bike.  The little clip is hard to see, but once you have it pushed it will slide right back.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

kevin317indy

• V Star
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2016, 06:52:56 pm »
    Installed mine tonight, this write up helped a lot, thanks.

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:41:09 pm »
    Sweet!!!!! Love mine. Post sum pics if you can

• Advertisement

House O Pain

• V Star
      « Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2020, 04:46:46 pm »
      Help anybody who has done this install!  This photo shows these spacers to be about 1/2 tall/wide, but the ones that came with my pipes are 1" and seem to hold the mounting bracket too far away.  Can someone please measure the spacers they have and tell me how tall they are so I can determine if mine are too tall?   I'm currently wrestling with getting my Sharp Curve Radius pipes mounted and am having a hard time with fitment. 

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2020, 04:36:21 pm by House O Pain »
      "A man's got to know his limitations"  Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2020, 09:36:26 pm »
      Help anybody who has done this install!  This photo shows these spacers to be about 1/2 tall/wide, but the ones that came with my pipes are 1" and seem to hold the mounting bracket too far away.  Can someone please measure the spacers they have and tell me how tall they are so I can determine if mine are too tall?   I'm currently wrestling with getting my Sharp Curve Radius pipes mounted and am having a hard time with fitment. 

http://ttps://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss45/jwinters03/exhaust/IMG_20140119_160955_108_zpsf3abd2b7.jpg

House O Pain I Can't help with your question but fixed your link as it would not load the picture. I'm Rangerick70 on the Honda VTX Forums I see your on there also. I used to have a Raider but now just the VTX

https://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss45/jwinters03/exhaust/IMG_20140119_160955_108_zpsf3abd2b7.jpg
      2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

House O Pain

• V Star
      « Reply #35 on: Dec 13, 2020, 04:39:02 pm »

House O Pain I Can't help with your question but fixed your link as it would not load the picture. I'm Rangerick70 on the Honda VTX Forums I see your on there also. I used to have a Raider but now just the VTX

Thanks a lot RangerRick.  I used your fix to edit my post so the photo shows.  Hoping someone will measure their spacers so I know if I have the right ones.  Mine definitely look longer that what is shown in the picture.

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:14:28 am »
      Your Welcome ;)
      2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

House O Pain

• V Star
      « Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2020, 08:46:36 pm »
      So I just finished my Freedom Performance Sharp Curve pipes install today!   8)

Some things I learned;

CRITICAL! TAPE OFF all painted surfaces where the pipes may hit/scrape the bike and tape over the pipes heat shields or you risk scratching them.  Use blue painters tape. 
      *The instructions from Freedom Performance are absolute CRAP! 
      *Tips in this forum tend to oversimplify how difficult these are to mount.
      *The 1" aluminum spacers that came with my kit were NOT for mounting onto the pipes mounting bracket, they are for use if you own a Yamaha Stratoliner and they are for bringing out the right side floorboard with that bikes install, not the Raiders.
      *Even though some on the forums said you don't have to splice the O2 sensor wires so they're longer I DEFINITELY had to splice mine to fit.  I did mine 5 inches longer just to make sure it wasn't tight.  Use silver wire in 18 Gauge (not copper).  Silver is more conductive and matches what is used in the stock 02 sensor wires.
      *The 02 Sensor is EXTREMELY hard to unplug at the battery end if you don't realize the plastic 'tab' that releases it is not at the top of the connection, but rather is on the left side (side facing right side of bike) as you look at it from top.
      *The small fuse box above where the 02 Sensor plugs in can be removed by sliding it up off it's mounting (you have to remove this to get access to where the 02 plugs into.
      *Since this mounts to the bike 1) At first engine jug, 2) At second engine jug 3) Both headers into baffle with 2 pipe clamps 4) baffle/rear pipe onto mounting plate wt 4 bolts 5) mounting plate to motorcycle frame wt 2 bolts   ALL mounting points need to be loosely tightened so they can be aligned to fit properly. 
      *You can safely tighten the 4 mounting bolts that hold the rear baffle/pipes onto the mounting plate, leaving all other fasteners lose for alignment adjustments
      *Ideally, you have a helper who holds the loosely assembled pipes into baffles assembly into place as you press the first engine jug header pipe into place (replace the crush washer with new to ensure no air leaks) and screw on the nuts.  If you have no helper, use bungie cords to hold the pipe in place without having to fasten the bolts tight.
      *Next to fasten is the rear engine jug header (loosely)
      *You may need to slide the two header pipes into or out of the baffle some to line the baffle up properly (loosen pipe clamps) with the rear mounting plate holes so the bolts (use stock from stock pipe bracket) slide in properly. 
      * Tighten the front and rear engine jug header bolts when you're confident the entire assembly is aligned, then tighten the pipe mounting bracket, then the pipe clamps.
      *IMPORTANT: Note that the heat shields have two sizes of pipe clamps provided, a smaller size for the front of the pipes and the larger ones for the rear of the pipes.  Look at the pipes diameter where the clamps go into the heat shields to help determine where the smaller clamps go (I believe it's two small forward, 2 large rearward from memory).
      *IMPORTANT:  Decide how you want the heat shield clamps fastener oriented before you slide it into/onto the heat shields.  The goal is to have them so they are hidden behind the heat shields, yet are accessible for tightening.  These have a slit in the top of the tightening bolt so you have the option of mounting them with that slit facing the ground so a standard screw driver can be used to tighten.  I found the one in the middle most part of the top pipe needed to face down as there was no other way to turn it except for by screw driver and facing upside down is best to both hide it from view and have screwdriver access from underneath for tightening.

Be prepared with these new pipes to now expose your aluminum painted rear foot brake workings just along the right bottom frame along with the shiny heat wrap covering the brake hoses.  I think you might get away with spray painting the heat wrap with high heat black engine paint to hide it, or cut off the shiny wrap and replace it with black pipe wrap.  I devised an aluminum metal pipe I cut the back out of and tie-wrapped over the hoses and painted black.  I just sprayed the aluminum brake hydraulics housing with high heat black paint and it looks much better.

It's very important not to allow a leak at the engine header connections as cold air entering there can harm you engine.  It will also cause back firing so make sure to re-check the bolt tightness now and then on those bolts.  Use a torque wrench if you can get one in there (I couldn't). 

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2020, 12:31:29 pm »
      Be prepared with these new pipes to now expose your aluminum painted rear foot brake workings just along the right bottom frame along with the shiny heat wrap covering the brake hoses.  I think you might get away with spray painting the heat wrap with high heat black engine paint to hide it, or cut off the shiny wrap and replace it with black pipe wrap.  I devised an aluminum metal pipe I cut the back out of and tie-wrapped over the hoses and painted black. 

I believe the heat wrap is no longer needed now that the pipes are curved up over it. I'm certain I've seen others who have taken this off. But don't take my word for it. I removed mine just the other day, so I can't speak from experience yet.   
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2020, 05:32:26 pm by craigac »

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #39 on: Jan 01, 2021, 11:44:43 am »
      Be prepared with these new pipes to now expose your aluminum painted rear foot brake workings just along the right bottom frame along with the shiny heat wrap covering the brake hoses.  I think you might get away with spray painting the heat wrap with high heat black engine paint to hide it, or cut off the shiny wrap and replace it with black pipe wrap.  I devised an aluminum metal pipe I cut the back out of and tie-wrapped over the hoses and painted black. 

I believe the heat wrap is no longer needed now that the pipes are curved up over it. I'm certain I've seen others who have taken this off. But don't take my word for it. I removed mine just the other day, so I can't speak from experience yet.   

Yeah just take the shiny wrap off.  With these pipes it’s ugly exposed and removing it won’t hurt a thing.
      Nice job.