Author Topic: 12 volt power  (Read 24531 times)

SLK

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: 12 volt power
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:00:34 pm »
I have a fully heated suit and passing lamps that get used regularly at the beginning and end of the riding season and have never had a problem.
SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Brad de Leon

• Road Star
    « Reply #31 on: Oct 05, 2011, 02:26:21 pm »
    Perhaps just start with an electric cup.  Just the things that absolutely can't freeze.  Should not draw more than an amp.  If it does then that is decidedly cause for concern.

fatboyee

• Road Star
    « Reply #32 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:24:27 am »
    I took a ride up a mountain pass yesterday and took the opportunity to use my new heated chaps.  I have a Synergy jacket and gloves as well (left the gloves out on this ride).  The heated clothing would only stay "lit" for a few minutes at a time.  I have Yamaha Driving lights and I turned those off, then the sysem worked great.  Based on earlier math, examples and people much brighter than me, I shouldn't have had a problem.  I just replaced my battery this August so don't think this is an issue. The bike is a 2008 and the only other electrical mod is an LED turn signal light bar under the stock stop light.

Jacket - 76W/6.3A
    Chaps - 43W/3.5A
    Gloves - 24W/2.7A
    Lamps - 70W (based on two 35W halogen bulbs)

The Synergy pigtail is hooked directly to the battery with a 15A inline fuse so is similar to earlier quoted work.....any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Chance13

• Warrior
      « Reply #33 on: Aug 27, 2012, 01:11:40 pm »
      Okay, so how would I hook up a 12volt plug to plug up a cell phone charger????????? O8O

Put it in the wind, everyday is a good day to ride, if you have a
       RAIDER!!!!!

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #34 on: Aug 27, 2012, 06:59:08 pm »
      I bought a 12v outlet from Autozone and wired it into the aux power circuit (in headlight bucket).  Stuck it to the front of the trip-tree behind window.  Works great for phone, GPS, etc,. 

blaine563

• 2009 Silver Raider
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #35 on: Aug 27, 2012, 08:30:18 pm »
      If it helps at all - I installed this Formotion accessory plug and have been using it for cell phone and gps charging. Wired directly to battery with a 15 amp fuse. Kinda pricey at about $50! :o I only bought it cause it was shiney! ;D

"Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight"

bigjohn

« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:47:57 am »
      i ride with a heated jacket and gloves [full on] with no problems. a phase 7 headlight will help the situation as well. big john

Brianheartline

• Keep the shinny side up and the rubber on the road
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 07:42:27 am »
      Perhaps just start with an electric cup.  Just the things that absolutely can't freeze.  Should not draw more than an amp.  If it does then that is decidedly cause for concern.

Electric Cup now thats some funny stuff

Brianheartline

• Keep the shinny side up and the rubber on the road
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 07:48:55 am »
      Okay, so how would I hook up a 12volt plug to plug up a cell phone charger????????? O8O

Check page 4-18 of your owners manual under Auxiliary DC connector

AirForceRider

• 2013 ROM Winner
      • Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 03:21:55 pm »
      The earlier parts of this write up are perfect!  Mani's information is just what I've been concerned with.  I moved to Utah last year and for the first time since I got my raider I have lost months of riding time due to the cold (and a deployment during the winter didn't help).  Froze my ass off heading to Vegas a couple weeks ago...  Now I know what I have to get before the cold weather gets in next year!

RaidWA

• Road Star
      « Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:22:21 am »
      I don't get why the Raider's charging system is as finicky as it is. Take too much load off and the stator whines; put too much load on, and it whines again, even though the load is far below its unused output. When I run heated gloves as well as Gerbing's jacket/pants/socks liners, I hear the stator whine whenever I turn them up more than 50% even though they draw about 60 watts at that point.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:25:16 am »
      I don't get why the Raider's charging system is as finicky as it is. Take too much load off and the stator whines; put too much load on, and it whines again, even though the load is far below its unused output. When I run heated gloves as well as Gerbing's jacket/pants/socks liners, I hear the stator whine whenever I turn them up more than 50% even though they draw about 60 watts at that point.

I don't have the jacket, but I do have the gloves and LEDs (which I know don't take much) and I never get a whine.

RaidWA

• Road Star
      « Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2015, 03:18:19 pm »
      Yes, the jacket is usually the biggest consumer. Mine draws 70W when run on full (which I never need to do) at 12v (idle). I have a dual-temp controller and run the jacket on one circuit and gloves/pants/socks on another. I can turn the non-jacket circuit to 100% and the stator stays quiet, but if I turn both to about 55%, the whine starts. The good thing is that whenever that much heat is needed, it is so cold outside that the stator is cooled.

I have LED driving lights as well, they draw only 12W between them.