Author Topic: Red is faster, and I have proof :)  (Read 143042 times)

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Red is faster, and I have proof :)
« Reply #30 on: Sep 20, 2010, 08:14:39 pm »
shoot!!! busted again!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
    • Raider
    « Reply #31 on: Sep 20, 2010, 10:49:43 pm »
    I do know from personal experience the red is the hottest color.  ;D

RSR
    RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

SLK

• Global Moderator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #32 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:17:28 pm »

RSR

Gee, I get to burst another bubble.  Actually the way they rate heat by color is quite interesting.  Take a piece of 1/2 inch thick carbon steel, now take a torch and start applying heat to center in even circular motions to raise the temperature of the steel evenly so as as to not melt it.  It will start to glow as temperature rises.  The first color to be dectected by the human eye is Yellow, as the temp rises the glow transitions to orange then red, then green then blue and finally white.  Then in the light bulb industry they will rate the light by kelvins and the color of the light will have a 2000 or 3000 or such kelvin rating corresponds to the color of the light that is given off by the glowing steel at that particular kelvin temperature.  In such a rating black is O degree kelvin and therefore the coolest.   What is more interesting in art blue is considered a cool shade and red is considered hot so they will call blue light cool white and  red light is warm white and yellow called hot white, go figure art does not  live up to science.

P. S.  If we forum members ever get a chance to all be in the same place at the same time I will give a test and expect all of you to pass with flying colors.
    « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2010, 11:24:22 pm by SLK »
    SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

• Advertisement

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #33 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:20:19 pm »
      .. all we see is a black spec in our rear view mirrors.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:   

We Raven Riders get that comment all the time. But it happens when you're lapping your opponent :rotfl:

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      « Reply #34 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:22:02 pm »
      SLK, Why do you have to make me prove this again?!  :D

RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #35 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:34:22 pm »
      Ah yes, the old burning house ploy.  The physics of flames is another facinating subject that some pyromanics can not get enough of.  But let me say this you will notice as the flaming gasses cool they turn to black smoke and thus once again we prove that black is coolest.  When it comes to flames the hottest gasses are ones that you cannot see  the coolest part of the flame is yellow, the  hottest visible flame will be blue.  Which by the way needs a material that burns at a temperature higher than wood.  So the devistation you experienced by your house while being both horrific and saddening is still considered by physicists to be a low temperature fire.  I sure hope your recovery from that disaster  will be quick and as painless as possible. 
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2010, 11:36:02 pm by SLK »

no

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #36 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:58:02 pm »

RSR

Gee, I get to burst another bubble.  Actually the way they rate heat by color is quite interesting.  Take a piece of 1/2 inch thick carbon steel, now take a torch and start applying heat to center in even circular motions to raise the temperature of the steel evenly so as as to not melt it.  It will start to glow as temperature rises.  The first color to be dectected by the human eye is Yellow, as the temp rises the glow transitions to orange then red, then green then blue and finally white.  Then in the light bulb industry they will rate the light by kelvins and the color of the light will have a 2000 or 3000 or such kelvin rating corresponds to the color of the light that is given off by the glowing steel at that particular kelvin temperature.  In such a rating black is O degree kelvin and therefore the coolest.   What is more interesting in art blue is considered a cool shade and red is considered hot so they will call blue light cool white and  red light is warm white and yellow called hot white, go figure art does not  live up to science.

P. S.  If we forum members ever get a chance to all be in the same place at the same time I will give a test and expect all of you to pass with flying colors.

Being in the metal industry for the last 12 years as a welder I have to disagree with this one. When heating steel the first color seen is a dull red (often refered to as cherry red) which goes to a bright red then into orange then yellow then white.

Also wouldn't the hottest flame actually be black, if it is black it is burning so efficiently that it is not radiating energy in the form of light?

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #37 on: Sep 21, 2010, 12:30:26 am »
      Interesting dilemma.  I have never tried to heat the metal and see what happens.  I was going by the information in the book I was given by light bulb supplier.  According to the lighting industry they are talking about the color of light given off by a piece of steel that is heated in a dark room, it is not heated to melting or welding temperature but to get a glow off of it.  The steel is actually part of wall the heat is applied from one side and the glow is rated from other side which is the dark room.  Again I never experimented to see what happened just was going by the information from the book on lighting, that was the basis for information used in selling light bulbs for various purposes.  The same book also says that for growing plants we have to have light that  contains green.  If you want the plant to produce fruit it needs yellow light and if want flowers you need red light, all other colors of light are not needed for plant growth, according to the lighting industry.  I have had some experience welding and do know that light appears different in color as it passes through filters and would assume that a welders helmet with is filtered lense would have an effect on light perception.  I do not know if that difference in welding and melting metal would make different color from the test used by the light bulb industry.  Either way red is still cooler not hotter.
      « Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 12:45:10 am by SLK »

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #38 on: Sep 21, 2010, 12:42:56 am »
      Maxxheadroom, my faux pas.   I went back and got my book and found that being out of the lighting industry for 5 years caused me to confuse the color order. I was wrong, you were right the correct color order by temperature is red then orange then yellow then green then blue then white. Black is not considered a light color, it is considered the lack of light, the theory being that black does not reflect but rather absorbs.  Supposedly a red pigment absorbs all other colors and reflects the one we see--red.  So if it reflects all colors we see white if it reflects none we see black.  Thanks for the challenge that made me go back to my reference books and refresh my memory, and thereby  prove that red is not the hottest color nor is it the coolest.

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Raider
      « Reply #39 on: Sep 21, 2010, 03:18:36 am »
      Ooooooo my aching head

cdnraider09

• Raider
      « Reply #40 on: Sep 21, 2010, 06:13:40 am »
      Wait wait wait red ones are fastest at getting police attention. black ones skirt by under the radar.

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
      • Raider
      « Reply #41 on: Sep 21, 2010, 06:45:36 am »
      Deeengg.. I and thought I was the only geek on here.. lol
      "Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
      May your road be smooth yet twisty.
      Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
      I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
      And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

PJ

• Warrior
        • Central FL Home Inspections
      « Reply #42 on: Sep 21, 2010, 07:05:35 am »
       :rotfl:   Guess not man!

PJ

• Warrior
        • Central FL Home Inspections
      « Reply #43 on: Sep 21, 2010, 07:07:49 am »
      I want to paint mine now...                     TO AN EVEN FASTER BLACK!  8)

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #44 on: Sep 21, 2010, 07:33:14 am »
      Wait wait wait red ones are fastest at getting police attention. black ones skirt by under the radar.

CDN..... so close to being correct.  The black ones don't skirt by under the radar... the black ones are only ridden by skirts.   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D